1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dying DVR, would like some tips/advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lawnmowerdeth, Jan 24, 2011.

1. lawnmowerdeth

lawnmowerdeth Cool Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Haven't had to call DTV for a long time, but our HR21 is on its last leg. Gets stuttery, and a reboot brought it to the blue screen failure messages. Finally came back up after 5 tries or so, but the remote response is up to 30 seconds per button push. I'm fairly certain the hard drive is done for.

Anyway, I'm not sure what their current policies are. Will they just send me a new one without hassle? Are they going to try to add a new 1 or 2 year contract for getting one? Or would I just be better off buying a DVR from someone else? Any tips or keywords to say to the CSR?

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You should receive a replacement for just the cost of shipping ($20), unless you have the Protection Plan, then it would be free.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Your commitment shouldn't change with a replacement for a bad HR. Just keep an eye on your account. You never know what a CSR is gonna do. Ask questions pertaining to this when you call. Above all, be polite and persistent, the CSRs get yelled at all day and a polite person usually gets treated much better.

Rich

4. lawnmowerdeth

lawnmowerdeth Cool Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Thanks. No protection plan, but $20 isn't bad.
    I really would have liked to be able to hold out until the TiVo comes out (if it ever actually does...)

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Even if it does, what could it possibly do that would make folks give up their 24s?

Rich

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It's got the name Tivo on it, thats all some seem to care about....

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Before blowing $20 for a replacement, why not try reformatting the HDD?

Just restart the receiver and when the message "running receiver self check" appears onscreen, press the SELECT button on your remote.

You will get a snazzy diagnostics menu which allows you to test all functions of the receiver including a complete reformat of the HDD.

What have you got to lose (other than your recordings and favorite lists)? ;)

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, it sounds more like a Bad Power Supply unit rather than a hard drive but if not it could be the hard drive but alot of problems are blamed on a marginal or failing Power Supply Unit that is dying and not outputting the correct amount of power to the hard drive (thus mimicing a bad hard drive) or to the CPU.

Weaknees.com sells and replaces Power Supply units and can also diagnose the problem to determine which one it is but you may be better off just getting it replaced if you don't mind losing your recordings and personal settings.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Like moths to flames...

Rich

10. bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005
    Very nice ! I have a refurbed HR20 that is acting strange, just replaced my original three weeks ago. Turns on with a black screen, no response from remote, do an RBR and still get the black screen after the "just a few more minutes" message.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It sounds like your refurb isn't doing so well. That does happen, they pass certain tests at the facility but don't work in the real world.

12. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love that term "refurbished". At DirecTV I think it means "plug it in-if it works it's refurbished". :D

I got two standalone receivers that didn't work. As it turns out, the connector on the back where the power cord plugs in isn't soldered to the circuit board very well on the D11-300. Jiggle the power cord in the back and receiver goes on and off. After the second one arrived with the same problem, I "refurbished" it myself with a soldering iron. It worked for years after that!

13. bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005
    Just got off the phone with a CSR at DirecTV. He suspected that my HDMI cable was bad, I replaced the cable and it solved my problem. Apparently HDMI cables are fragile and this one in particluar was very old and had been used for a long time on multiple TVs.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh. I've never had a problem with an HDMI cord. Odd, when you think about it.

Rich

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Very Strange solution to the problem.

Never heard a bad HDMI Cable causing that problem but you learn something new every day if you keep your eyes and ears opened.

Good For You!!! :D

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Probably a Sony. You would not believe what I went thru with two Sony's and HDMI.

Rich

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    A wise person told me that 90% of the problem with everything is the cable. So I'm not surprised. Swapping cables is always a good diagnostic step.