1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynex, Connected Blu-Ray on a Budget?

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Phil T, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Anyone have the Dynex Wi-Fi Blu Ray player?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+Wi-Fi+Built-in+Blu-ray+Player/2333036.p?id=1218322059018&skuId=2333036

I bought my 24 year old daughter one for Christmas since it was only $59.00. Feature wise it looks like a good deal since other wireless connected units cost a lot more.

She has a one bedroom apartment and loves movies. She said recently that she was having trouble finding non Blu-Ray titles of some of the movies she wanted.

She was using an old 1999 SD TV, hand me down from me, and the first DVD player I ever had.

I was able to pick up a 46" Westinghouse 1080i LCD TV at Target for her for $299.00 during the Black Friday sales. The $59.00 Best Buy Blu-Ray seems like the perfect fit for her TV and gives her to option for Netflix and other streaming options. Her boyfriend may get her a sound bar for Christmas.

The whole set up cost less then $400.00. I won't know how the Dynex works until after Christmas, but she loves the TV.

Opinions on this low budget set up?

2. dtanderson

dtanderson Cool Member

Jul 30, 2004
    I got a budget Blu-Ray player, Insignia, and the only problem is the company has to keep updating the firmware. With the Insignia that I had, I rented a movie one night and it kept freezing loading the menu after finally getting the menu to load it froze close to the end of the movie. I read others were having and issue and that it would require an update. They were not going to release any more updates but after lots of complaints they released one. It was good for a few months and then it started all over again when some changes where made to the Blu-Ray encryption. The player was basically useless and I probably did not even own it but about 18 months. I finally just went and and bought me a PS3 (found one on clearance somewhere). IT us good as long as the company is going to keep releasing updates every time changes are made but if not then you will not be able to watch new movies only older titles.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've seen Sony's BDPBX38 going for $49.81 at our local Sam's Club. Not a bad player for those on a budget.