1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-BAY SURPRISE,***********

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by supermod38, Feb 18, 2013.

1. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    :D I got a real surprise today when i called the access card number about some receivers on fleabay.
    out of seven RID #'s five were good to go. one was employee owned (and still employed) the other was just the normal bad account, balance due!

normally when i check all of them are leased and not able to activate.:nono2:

some were priced right too!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Thanks for the reminder! Anybody that thinks those eBay deals are too good to be true should think twice. Always check the RID numbers with DirecTV before buying any used equipment.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And make sure that they aren't just giving you a valid RID, that they know is good, but then you get a different one that is not.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm moving this to the DIRECTV General Forum.

Mike

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Hate to be a wet blanket, but during a recent call with DirecTV, the CSR, when given the card # and RID said we were good to go. Later, during the same call, the access card guy would not issue a new card, even when advised customer would (and did) walk. Access card guy even acknowledged CSR had told us box was good to go and that he would nevertheless, not issue a new card. Big waste of time if CSR knowingly fibbed; we went through paying with a charge card, set up a service call, and then the card guy killed the deal. We then had to cancel the service call, cancel the charge card fee, and quit D* and jump to E*. We also had to return ship the inadvertently shipped receiver (amazed that D* apparently can box and post a box before the phone call is finished), and we had to send back all the D* equipment.

if the card guy was wrong, seems like someone in the organization would note he's quite a problem at some point. If each D* department has their own policies, or databases, seems like management might want to reign in the rogue business units?

I would be quite cautious in dealing with D* in these matters. Don't spend any more on a box than you can afford to lose. Although, apparently, D* might help you sell the same hinky box on Ebay, even if they never activate it for anybody.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry gov that you had a bad experience, and hope you are enjoying your new service provider.

I'm not so sure the CSR knowingly fibbed. They are not the proper people to advise if a receiver can be activated or not, and there are strict rules on what units a new card can be sent out for. The "access card guy" was just doing his job, and unfortunately it adversely impacted you.

The important thing to do is verify, with the access card department, the RID of a receiver/dvr before you acquire it (for the benefit of anyone else).

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Therein lies the hole in the steps that were taken - the Access Card department is the only one that knows the current/accurate status of the card (and receiver assignment).

This becomes critical of any "owned" systems up for sale - which are becoming both less in numbers and more in fraud - especially on eBay.

Calling any other CSR is a waste of time if you want accurate information - they simply don't have that specific data available to them.

8. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    i had bought a HR20 and found out that it can only be activated on the original account.
    that's why i always call with the numbers now.
    although i am only out $18.50 for the HR20 it was a good lesson!

9. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    But, unfortunately, that CSR didn't know she didn't know, apparently. I was VERY surprised to get snagged on this mess.

Probably unknowable, but did she just pretend to look up the numbers, or what could she have been looking at in the database if she did look it up?? Seems like management would want everybody on the same page, and a good way of doing that would be to give everybody the same page?? And once an install date and conf. # is issued, AFAIAC, a deal is a deal. Card guy needs to honor the deal and fix the internal problem, and NOT mangle my attempts at getting the right equipment for my clients.

I have many clients, do E* and D* (and several cablecos) all the time, very very unusual to have a situation go south as far as that one did. Did not put me off D*, but they lost a long term customer over that, and I really don't like or advocate jumping ship, that occasion, I made an exception.

Trend over the years has been for problems to become rarer and rarer. Had many headaches with retailers in the late 90s, and taking them out of the loop has been great. Dish ERT has come thru for me a few times, and the local E* hub is way better now than 5 years ago. LOL, a recent minor annoyance is my setting up a big custom install for a specific date, and then having to fend off D* and E* wanting to come by days earlier! I know many folks appreciate getting an early jump, but I'm busy everyday, I can't move anything forward on the calendar, no matter how eager the tech is to get it off the list.

Was trying to get a new customer for E* just Saturday, and it must not be a good promo period or something, couldn't close the deal on a SDDVR, dual tuner setup. CSR kept pushing HD, and elderly clients didn't want or need HD, and it just became really annoying. There was also a problem with the channel package. I know in the commercial field, there are a plethora of packages, a few more divisions on the retail side might not be a bad idea, clearly if the commercial side can deal with many channel packs, the retail side can too.

These elderly clients are now considering a Tivo configured for OTA, I get back for another consult and we'll see what happens. I also wanted to give it a few days, E* has contact info and mebbee we get a solicitation call with the deal they want?

LOL, I'm cheap and easy, I work with everybody on everything if I can.

10. Rent_Share

Rent_Share AllStar

Aug 31, 2011
    I use the email method, to determine leased or owned, with the expectation I will call the access card team prior to sending cash, if an owned receiver ever closes within my budget.

Yesterday CSR clearly identified 7 receivers ad leased, with the annotation that they needed to be returned to directv as if they were in my possession

The other four she/he indicated non recoverable, two more emails later two of the four non recoverable were identified as owned/ two as leased