1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E has been a nightmare so far- second opinion or D?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by nfusion770, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nfusion770

nfusion770 Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I signed up for Dish last week (622 and 2, 211s) and was told they could install today.

A few days ago I called Dish to see if I was getting 222s instead 211s installed. I was on the phone for half an hour with a CSR who kept telling me that I could not get 2-622s. I went over this with him 3 times and he wasn't getting it, so I asked for a supervisor, which it took a half another half an hour to get (really just as bad as the Charter I am trying to replace). Finally annoyed, I said I would like to cancel my order and was transferred to a very nice English speaking CSR (at the cancellation dept) who explained the situation to me. After having it clearly explained (only 4 tuners at sign up), I told him I would keep my appointment.

So in anticipation of my install I pre-drilled all the holes for the drops and left wire pullers (so the installer would have an easy time of it and I could have jacks where I wanted them). I installed 3 dishes by myself between 1998 and 2001 and despite any changes, feel I have a pretty good grasp on the general concept of running wire, mounting the dish and angling it.

So, the installer came out today (Sunday) and said he couldn't get line of sight. He said he may be OK on some of the Satellites but my trees would grow and cause future problems- something his supervisor would not pass him on. He also told me he only had to pull 1 wire into my 622 for me to get 2 feeds (I verified this several times telling him that I was informed via Dish CS and DBStalk that I needed to 2 wires to fully utilize a 622- he insisted 1 would allow to record 2 programs). He also said a few other things that made me question whether he wanted to be here today, but I am trying to temper my cynicism.

I have heard the horror stories of weekend installations (not something I asked for- I work at home and can accommodate most days- Sunday installation was what Dish offered). I guess I am wondering if there were legit LOS issues or just an installer that didn't want to work today. I am trying not to let the bad install stories, bad CS experience sully my opinion of the installer, but I am not sure. Anyway, what should I do- request a supervisors second opinion on the lOS, or call DTV as I have heard that their Satellites are angled higher. I am not really concerned with which company I have, I picked Dish for the current extra HD content, because it was cheaper up front, and because I heard DTV's CS was bad.

Any experience or advice is appreciated.

2. wje

wje Godfather

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    You only need one coax for a 622. E* has provided the capability to mux both feeds on one coax for quite a while. And yes, you can still view/record two channels at once. Three, actually, if you also count the OTA tuner.

As for installers, luck of the draw, I guess. My E* installer was FAR better than either of the two D* installers I had to deal with. I ended up redoing the install myself with them.

3. nfusion770

nfusion770 Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Thanks- that was one of the things that made me really question the guy. I was under the impression that I needed 2 lines and the CSR at E told me they were working on a one line solution.

Maybe the installer knew what he was talking about. If so, my only options may be D or sticking with Charter (ugh)

4. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Youd need a 2nd cable if you were running the tv2 to a second tv, maybe thats where the wires got crossed.

If the guy was going to set you up with a 1000.2 for HD, the D* slimline dish would almost be pointing in the same area so LOS might give you issue with them too.

5. wje

wje Godfather

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    Just to be clear on the last post, you need a 2nd coax from the 622 to the 2nd TV, not from the dish.

6. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Yeah, shoulda cleared that up.

One wire to 622. One wire from 622 to second tv(if you set it up that way).

7. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    You kinda had the providers backwards. It's D* that requires a separate cable to each tuner and they will eventually use only one to each dvr. Both sat providers are amazingly similar in content, service, and price. On paper E* has the most HD with the 15 extra Voom channels but this is deceiving because after a few months those voom become rather boring. There is very little fresh content on those channels. The proof is nobody else is bothering to pick up those channels. Both providers are going to add lots of HD channels soon. D* has a little more sports and will lease you more hardware but it will cost more. I don't know about the vertical angle differences. The D* HD dvr (HR20) now works as stable as the VIP622. I have both and no clear winner.

8. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    Depending on which Sat. was the problem. The slimline dish does not have to get the 129 Sat. When I install 1000.2 Dishes the problem is usually the 129 sat because it is so low in the sky. This guy is in Minn. so D* may be an option. Their Sat.s are from 99 degrees to 119 degrees.

9. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Ive owned both and I agree. I do watch monstershd on voom a lot though.

The only thing that makes the 622 better IMHO, is with me having OTA I can record 3 things at once. Some people this doesn't help though.

10. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Thats true, Im in Sc and the original skew on my 1000.2 was close to 140 before I added the D500.

129 is such a POS.

11. nfusion770

nfusion770 Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Appreciate the replies so far.

From the sounds of it the installer was on the up and up and I may have troubles with both Satellite companies. I guess I could attempt the supervisor review thing, but I am not sure what that will do for me. Charter has raised my Cable/ internet bill from $115 in January to $175!!!!. I haven't added a single service and they are telling me my promotion expired. In previous years they simply set me up with a new promotion, but this year they apparently will not do that. I'm very irritated with Charter and would really rather spend my money elsewhere- that is if anyone else will take it. I am certain I could get more value with Satellite companies- right now I only get HD on one of my 3 HD sets- really pretty disappointing. I guess I could try OTA on the other TVs and at least get locals in HD.

12. nfusion770

nfusion770 Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I like your opinion- tell me more of what I want to hear. :D

13. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    If youre into HD, E* and D* are the two to have right now.

14. nfusion770

nfusion770 Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I may just have to call DTV I guess. The current promotion seems pretty good for Sunday Ticket, but I hardly have enough time to fit in the Vikes games these days, let alone 15 others. $400 up front for an HD DVR and 2 HD receivers is pretty steep though.

15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    It seems to me once Dish gets most HD channels up, they'd drop Voom, if it's repeat stuff.

16. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    OMG $175.00! Are Charter boxes made of gold?

17. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I've heard that they may give people options to split up the HD packages but I don't think they are droping it. I think they are part owner of that sat. Some love Voom and I watch a few shows but for most vastly over-rated.

18. nfusion770

nfusion770 Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    The installer told me the standard channels would be fine, but the HD stuff was going to be the problem. Does that sound like something that may work for D (not familiar with what Sat 129 means)? I suppose with what Charter is doing to me it wouldn't be a waste of time just to set up the D appointment to find out. Am I correct in assuming D will also refund my money if the installer cannot get LOS? I can't imagine it otherwise, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC

I keep seeing people bash the Voom channels for repeating content... but most of the HD channels do that right now. A&E repeats and doesn't even show HD a lot of the time. TNT has repeats and stretches a lot of the time. DiscoveryHD shows repeats... Food and HGTV have infomercials during the overnight hours! HDNet and HDNet Movies also show a lot of repeats.

I can understand if you don't like the content Voom shows, as they have some niche channels that are not for everyone... but just to bash them for being repetitive makes no sense when I find ALL the HD to be very repetitive right now.

20. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Yup. The only thing I'd add is, if FIOS is available in your area, that would be a third option. Unfortunately, for the great majority, it's not available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.