1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E mail in XP Home

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Geronimo, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I am running XP Home with teh Service pack installed although this probelm predates the patch.

I have Ooffice 97 (yes 97) and Outlook express 6 onmy machine.

I would like tos et the default email client to Express but I can't. In the internet options box for this only Outlook is a choice. when I launch Outlook express it offeres me the option of making it my default mail handler but it does not do it. FWIW Outlook express is my default news reader.

Any thoughts?

2. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Outlook 97 breaks some registry keys and you need to re-register Outlook Express to make it the default mail handler. Try this. Go to Start | Run and type the following:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /reg
    (Check the path to msimn.exe to make sure that is correct)

Make certain to include the quotations marks and the space between the ending quotation mark and the slash. Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools\Internet Options\Programs and set OE as the default mail (and news) program.

Good luck.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Thank you James. I am not sure what else to say.