1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E* spotbeam status/predictions -- Take 2

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by joblo, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 1, 2006 #1 of 15
    joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    Attached is an improved version of the spreadsheet I posted previously showing E10 spots known to be lit up, in service, etc. I’ve added the E7 spots and the current number of channels on each transponder, plus various columns totaling everything up and showing how much space is left, where HD markets might go, and so on.

In addition to the status sheet, there’s a second sheet listing all the superdish, 129, wing, and split markets not yet moved to D500 slots, plus the 119->110 moves listed on the E10 schedule but not yet completed. That sheet contains predictions of which spots I think may be used for those remaining markets, and the channel counts are tied to the status sheet, so that any changes made in the spot assignments on that page will be automatically reflected in the status page totals. (To simplify the spreadsheet calculation, note that I use E10 spot numbers only, and so all E7 spots are correlated to an E10 number in an approximately similar location.)

There are numerous instances where markets could be placed in more than one spot, and some or all of the 129 and wing markets may not move at all, so if don’t like my predictions, you can play with the spot numbers in the “New E10 Spot #” column on the Markets page, and see how that affects the bottom line for HD availability on the status page. Boxes will turn red if you overload the spots. (It will help in doing this if you create a second window, so that you can have a window for each sheet.)

Example: E* might choose to leave Richmond, VA on 129 indefinitely instead of moving it to spot 5. If you reflect this on the “Market” sheet by clearing the “5” from the “New E10 Spot #” column for Richmond, you will see an HD market open up on that spot on the status page. And so on… (Note that the sheet calculations only deal with spot numbers, not tps, so tp predictions are just for information.)

Some observations from my own experimenting:

If E* moves as many SD markets as possible to 110/119, it looks like they will have room for 25 possible HD markets in the contiguous states. (Note that the sheet counts SD in individual channels, but for HD it counts markets, based on the assumption that they will uplink only the 4 majors for each market, and that they will dedicate exactly one transponder for each such market in 8PSK/MPEG4 mode.)

I noticed that signal strength on tp 23 on spot 5 dropped significantly last week, so I think E* will try again to move Burlington, VT to spot 8, this time on tp 23 instead of 25. Doing this could allow them to put Providence on spot 4 rather than moving it to 61.5, a plan which is probably not too popular with RI retailers.

There doesn’t seem to be any way to move all the Ohio and WV markets to 110/119 without bringing back a couple of E8 spot tps, but it does appear that E7 tps 7 and 9 could be reverted to ConUS and replaced fairly easily with E8 tps 8 and 10, which would not only allow all superdish and 129 markets to be moved, but improve HD prospects as well. Not saying E* will do that, but it’s an interesting possibility.

Anyway, enjoy… :)

(Btw, I’ll be happy to try and answer any specific questions about the spreadsheet, but please note that you certainly don’t have to understand this spreadsheet to watch tv, so if you find the whole thing too confusing to be worth the bother, you are, as always, free to change the channel, read another thread, etc. ;)

Nobody’s paying me for any of this, after all, it’s just an exercise for fun… sort of an interesting alternative to Sudoku......... :D )

2. May 2, 2006 #2 of 15
    PDW

PDW New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    You have South Bend highlighted in bright green. Why is that? I couldn't find that color in the key you provided. Thanks for all of your work on the spreadsheet.:)

3. May 2, 2006 #3 of 15
    joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    Most of the markets seemed to either fit best on 110 or could go to either 110 or 119 (the slot for those is listed as 500), but South Bend seemed to fit much better on the 119 spot for Illinois, so I highlighted it so it would stand out as I was trying to place the other markets.

There were initially one or two others that I had slotted specifically for 119, I think, but then I decided they might go either place or to other 110 spots, and South Bend was all that was left.

4. May 2, 2006 #4 of 15
    derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    They can gladly have Harrisburg/York's allocation on Spot 4 :(

5. May 2, 2006 #5 of 15
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Glad we agree about South Bend. :D

We will find out for sure in a couple of days ... that's one reason why I have not jumped into deep speculation ... the answers will be here soon enough.

Besides, I'm still having fun with Sudoku. :)

6. May 2, 2006 #6 of 15
    Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    James do you know where the Houston locals will go at 110? The maps say spotbeam 12 and another map says transponder 16, so I am confused. Spotbeam 12 is only at 74 strength here where I'm at , and transponder 16 is like 105 strength so I hope that is transponder 16.

7. May 2, 2006 #7 of 15
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "Transponder" 16 is not a spotbeam, but spot 16 has two transponders pointed at Houston (TP4 and TP12) providing about the same coverage. The other spot in the area is too far south to cover all of Houston (IMHO). 5s10 and 7s10 on 119° also cover the area.

Attached Files:

8. May 2, 2006 #8 of 15
    joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    The interesting question is whether they will go ahead and finish the Ft. Wayne move there as scheduled, which would allow them to put South Bend on 119 and still have a whole 119 spot tp open there.

Meanwhile, looks like spot 5 tp 25 may have lost a little strength today, too, so maybe they’re going to retry Burlington on that tp.

Yeah? Check out the May 8-14 issue of TV Guide, which should be on stands now or later this week. Either I’m going nuts or these guys actually published an indeterminate Sudoku puzzle... very indeterminate... sheesh, not only have they made the listings worthless, they can’t even get a Sudoku puzzle right... :nono2:

9. May 2, 2006 #9 of 15
    joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    Houston is listed on the schedule as going to spot 16 tp 12, but the schedule didn’t list three of the major nets at all, and not all of Houston will fit on one tp, so it’s a bit unclear what will happen there. Also, the only info channels set up there are on 148, which is a little strange. (See uplink thread)

10. Shellback X 23

Shellback X 23 Legend

Sep 18, 2004
    I haven't keep up with all this info while relocating to summer assignment. Not all Camp Grounds have Verizon cell service which is how I get to internet. I lost my VA locals when I got to Ohio but still get NYC & DEN on RV waiver.

Question: What markets will remain CONUS on 110/119 after all the moves? I think I need a new service address!! <VBG>

11. joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    None. Only distants and supers will be 110/119 ConUS, and it’s not completely clear at this point which distants will remain, but NYC, LA, Chicago, and Denver look safest.

All ConUS local markets, if there are any, will be on wings, 129, or SuperDish.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Those that are offered as distant networks, and only the channels offered as distants.
    When this shakes out there will be no non-spotbeam markets. :)

13. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Maybe they will leave the Houston regular networks on the 119 spotbeam 5 and only place the Mexican and Religious stations that you can get on 148 /129 on the 110 spot 16. Splitting the locals over 2 satellites but on one dish 500 sat dish. New York is split like that over the same two sats: 110/119, so it wouldn't be that strange if they did that .

14. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003

I see the spotbeam 12 as an option under the 110 sat on my sat meter but I don't see a spotbeam 16 . I am not understanding how this works. I have a transponder 4 but no transponder 12 only spotbeam 12. Can you explain this a little more in detail ?

According to your map it looks like my area ( Beaumont/Pt. Arthur , Texas)would be under the spotbeam like it is now on 119 spotbeam 5. I hope so because I would like to "move" back to Houston after they add hd locals.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "Moving" is the key issue here. As long as most people in the Houston DMA can get the spot cleanly E* could care less about those outside the market receiving the signals.

BTW: On an E* receiver beams that are ConUS (national) will show up as "Transponder" and beams that are spots will show up as "Spotbeam". The number given is the channel number (related to frequency) not the spot number (related to geographic area). One must use maps (or non-E* equipment) to discover what actual spot is being received on that TP #.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.