1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E15 fuel is coming your way

Discussion in 'The OT' started by wilbur_the_goose, Oct 13, 2010.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Unfortunately, ADM has now "convinced" the government that their E15 fuel should be mandatory. That means our E10 will soon become E15 (15% ethanol versus E10 - 10% ethanol).

I'll bet that many cars will die on E15.

I'll also bet that food prices will go up because of this.

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    E15 has been available in the Midwest for several years now. However, relatively few cars have motors that are #15 capable, and as stated above, could find it to shorten their lives.

3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    At the pump over here in Jacksonville they show the content as between 1% to 10%. As far as I'm concern they are just stealing my money.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right now, E15 is approved for cars 2007 and newer. Mine is not in that group.

Actually, what I'm still waiting for is for my state to actually test gas. They are not allowed to make sure that the octane level is right, or that there are no contaminants when they check to make sure the meter is working.

5. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Boy I can't wait to lose another 1-2 mpg for some fictional green fuel.

I'd rather eat my corn than burn it.

6. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Yep and they won't lower the price. At least with E85 it is almost a wash. Plus I get a 15HP bump.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I put 3 oz per 10 gallons of Acetone in my fuel. On my 2002 Dodge Crew cab pickup with a V6, it has raised my mileage from 280 miles per tank (from fillup to "need gas light") to 325 miles per tank. Thats two gallons worth of mileage per tank for pennies.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

8. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    That really works, huh? I remember reading about it years ago and I was afraid to try it. It said acetone would evaporate in the tank long before it had a chance to do anything in the engine, and what would make it there would dry out seals. How long have you been doing it successfully?

The gas station tonight said E4 on the sign where there is normally a price. I think it was an error, just like E15 is. :grin:

9. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    There are entire BMW model lines that are dying due to ethanol. The 335i has proven to be especially sensitive to non-gasoline fuels.

Non-gasoline fuels also have a way of rotting engine seals.

10. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    But it makes ADM and their lobbyists (and the people they pay off) very happy, so we should just sit back and take it.

11. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I can see this happening..."Price of E15 is going up at the pump because of increase in oil prices, and because of locust attacks, and drought diminished this years corn crop".

12. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I've been thinking about this and I guess I don't have a problem with having E10, E15, E85, or E-whatever as long as it's a choice.

If I could choose a non ethanol blend or 100% ethanol depending on price and personal preference, that would be ideal.

I mean, more choice and competition is good, right?

13. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I'll have to pay closer attention but I don't think premium normally has ethanol in it, does it? I only put premium in our BMW's, as they suggest.

14. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Almost all fuel sold at regular stations have ethanol in it from regular to premium

15. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I was visiting relatives in NC a couple of weeks ago and actually saw a station that had a sign that said something to the effect of "We have non-ethanol gasoline." Granted, it was about 10 cents more a gallon than the station across the street. I noticed it because I don’t remember the last time I have been to a station that didn’t have some form of an ethanol blend.

16. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    We paid farmers not to grow corn for years, now we are encouraging them to grow more of it and we are still not even close to full capacity. There is plenty to go around. Ethanol production creates jobs and benefits American farmers rather than those who profit from the importing of foreign oil.

We haven't even touched on the fact that Ethanol can be made from things other than corn now. Barley, wheat, and cellulosic forms of ethanol are being developed as well. E10, E15, E85 are all viable options.

Does it have an impact on food prices? Yes, but not greatly. I'd rather pay just a hair more for domestically produced food products in order to benefit our economy, our energy security, and American farmers. E10 is mandated in many states now. We can all be certain the ethanol production will play an even larger roll in the next year's energy bill before Congress.

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/100xx/doc10057/04-08-Ethanol.pdf

17. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    In theory yes, but the major problem is that it's not a competitive alternative. Making ethanol from corn requires too much effort to be cost effective at this point, so the government has to subsidize the industry to attract producers. It also has the unfortunate side-effect of driving up the costs for food products based on corn.

The only cost-effective way to produce ethanol is from pure cane-sugar, but since we can't grow enough of it with our agricultural resources, we would just trade our "foreign oil" dependancy for a "foreign sugar" one.

18. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I remember all of this from leaded to unleaded.

19. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Been doing it about 6 months. All the research I did prior to starting, showed the seals and other parts soaking in pure acetone for weeks to months with no degradation, so I figured 3 oz in 10 gallons of gas sure couldnt hurt. As for evaporation, where is it going to evaporate to? My tank, at least, is sealed. When I pop off the cap, I hear a vacuum sucking sound. Gas would evaporate as well, were it not sealed good.

I figure its no more harmful that burning corn off the cob in my tank :)

20. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    If we get rid of that (the subsidies) and mandates that say we have to buy ethanol blends, the rest will take care of itself. The market will either make it work or not.