1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early Guest Roles for Later Stars

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1 of 53
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Every once in a while you catch an old episode of some series that features a guest star or extra who later goes on to have a starring role in their own series. What's even more rare is finding two actors in an old series that went on to star in the same later series.

I'm seeing that right now in a 1974 episode of Gunsmoke (TVLand) with Daniel J. Travanti and Charles Haid who of course went on to star in Hill Street Blues together.

Any other examples?

2. Jan 8, 2010 #2 of 53
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    My favorite is Teri Garr on Star Trek.

3. Jan 8, 2010 #3 of 53
    elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Or Daniel J Travanti on Lost In Space.....playing a space hippie.

There were a lot of early or first appearances on Twilight Zone, like Robert Redford, Agnes Morehead, Bill Shatner.....

4. Jan 8, 2010 #4 of 53
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Yes, but again, how many early appearances had two actors that later starred in the same series together?

5. Jan 8, 2010 #5 of 53
    jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Or how 'bout actors who made guest appearances on a show, then came back later in a significant role in the same show as a different character?

Harry Morgan in M*A*S*H comes to mine; he played a more-than-slightly-nuts general in an episode or two, then came back later to star as Col. Potter.

Anybody remember "Alias Smith and Jones?" Roger Davis was a guest star who played a rival gun slinger who was killed in an early episode and came back later to replace one of the stars (Pete Duel) after Duel committed suicide - I had to go to IMDB to look up those names since I was just a 7 or 8 years old when the show aired... Not sure why I remember it at all!

6. Jan 8, 2010 #6 of 53
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    And, without looking it up, who remembers who played the homely girl in, "In the Eye of the Beholder"

7. Jan 8, 2010 #7 of 53
    Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca

But Roger Davis was the narrator of series all along. So he had something to do with each episode.

8. Jan 8, 2010 #8 of 53
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Off-hand can't remember which one, but on one of the Law & Orders, the original I think, one of the ADA's was a character for one of the stories before she returned as the ADA.

- Merg

9. Jan 8, 2010 #9 of 53
    JeffChap

JeffChap AllStar

Feb 10, 2007
    Can't remember her real name, but she played Ellie Mae Clampett in The Beverly Hillbillies, right? Donna something, I think...

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Donna Douglas, I believe...

11. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
  12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That's who it was... I kept thinking the ADA, but it was her. If I remember correctly, she wasn't wearing her wig in that episode either.

- Merg

13. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    Dennis Franz played a crooked cop on "Hill Street Blues" and when that role ended, he later came back as a straight but obnoxious detective.

14. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Not really a guest-star, but I noticed David Caruso (CSI: Miami) in Rambo First Blood a few weeks ago :lol:

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The first place I saw Caruso was in "Crime Story" with Dennis Farina and Anthony Dennison. I know Farina went on to several other roles, but I don't know if he did any other shows witrh Caruso.

16. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    David Caruso's up and down career includes starring in the first ever instance of a first run, prime time show episode on one of the three original networks to finish SIXTH in its slot. An episode of Michael Haynes, DA got beat head-to-head by Buffy the Vampire Slayer on the WB Network and Starship Enterprise on UPN. It got about a 1% share, as I recall.

Caruso is arguably in a virtual tie with Shelly Long for, "Worst Career Move by a Star Character on a Network TV Show". McLean Stevenson, Wayne Rogers and Suzanne Sommers earn Honorable Mentions.

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The previous ADA (the one who was killed on the show) was previously on as a guest-spot... and also the female detective from a couple of seasons back was a guest-spot character as well.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Claire was a guest star? That would have been when Paul Robinette was the ADA then.
    I don't remember the female detective being a guest star.

Edit: Oh wait, I remember who you are talking about. The one that was attacked in her apartment, right?

- Merg

19. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Assignment: Earth is one of my top 10 favorites. :)

Did you know it was originally supposed to be a pilot for a spinoff that would have stared both Robert Lansing & Teri Garr?

Since you took my favorite, I'll bring up Tom Hanks in an early Love Boat episode before Bosom Buddies.

Mike

20. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, sorry for the confusion... I should have clarified I meant the one who was kidnapped and killed rather than the one who had been killed by the drunk driver.

I couldn't think of actress names or the character name unfortunately.

I've seen both of the appearances I mentioned, but didn't take notice until after the actresses were regulars. Once they were regulars, they stood out in their previous guest appearances.

I want to say that the ADA actress' first appearance she was a co-defendant in whatever the problem that week was... while the female detective, i think, was a prostitute that they were asking questions related to the case early in the episode but did not factor prominently in the case after that.