Eastern Arc

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by TBoneit, May 16, 2010.

1. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I just had the switch over from 110, 119, 61.5 to the EA.

The story I heard from the Installer is that starting in June E* is going to start changing everybody over to the EA in this area.

I don't know how reliable that info is, however he seemed sure of it. When I showed him the new HD channels that are available with the EA is when he said that explains why they they are going to start changing over.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    While I don't have any info specific to your area, it's clear that Dish's future is going to involve all subscribers being either fully Western Arc or fully Eastern Arc, with no more mixed-Arc setups, and that most areas in the East that were originally installed on what is now the Western Arc will be migrated to Eastern Arc. Again, I can't speak to any specific timelines, but the overall plan is clear.

3. Dicx

Dicx AllStar

Sep 17, 2007
    Just got on the EA today, all of my locals are on the WA, :( The reps told me that they are migrating the locals to EA because of so many LOS issues, like I had. Johnstown/Altoona local.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    While it's a pain not to have your locals right now, you'll be much happier in the long run that you got set up for EA from the beginning.

5. Dicx

Dicx AllStar

Sep 17, 2007
    I sure hope you're right :) Dish granted me a hybrid setup but the tech couldn't do it with a DP44 switch because the locals in SD were across 2 satellites making a total of 5 it would have to cover. He said the switch only held 4. Now it is a wait and see game.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Here is he 5 sat setup http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=2456758&postcount=14
    one difference is - EACH sat input of your receiver/DVR where you wish to watch locals MUST have DP21 switch.

7. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    The biggest problem I had with going to the EA from 110,119,61.5 was the extra HD channels have caused me to find things I wanted on the new channels to record and now I'm down under 2 hours free space.

Of course once the networks go into reruns it won't matter. I find almost nothing worth watching as a rerun unless I missed it before for some reason.

It might be time to run out and buy that WD 1TB for $99 move some things off the internal drive.

Decisions, decisions, decisions

8. kcolg30

kcolg30 Godfather

May 11, 2010
    So if I live in Miami, FL and getting the 110,119,129 sats, when DISH moves my locals to the EA....I am screwed..right.

Why would DISH put me in the WA when I live in Miami....:nono2:

kcolg30 does not understand this SAT stuff...:nono:

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    It won't be an overnight switch with no warning. You can rest easy for awhile.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is no guarantee that DISH will ever move your locals off of WA. Just because a city is in the eastern part of the country doesn't mean it is forced to eastern arc. If they removed all the eastern markets from western arc it would just be a waste of spotbeam space.

I wouldn't worry about a move.

11. bills

bills Legend

Nov 7, 2002
    question? i live in southwest michigan close to toledo ohio,would that be considered eastern arc? regards

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you get Toledo locals you are on Western Arc. Detroit locals are on both arcs.

13. bills

bills Legend

Nov 7, 2002
    thank you..regards

14. lionsrule

lionsrule Godfather

Nov 25, 2003

I am confused as to how any part of southwest michigan is close to toledo?

I am in southwest michigan and toledo is 3 hours away.

You should be in the kazoo/G.R. dma

If you are in central lower mich, then you would be in the lansing dma

Both of the above are in the EA.

The bird your locals are on in Hd dictate your arc: 61.5 for you, hence your eastern arc.

15. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    Part of SW Michigan is in the South Bend, Indiana market.

16. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    A bit of an oversimplification, as it's not always so cut-and-dried. For example, my HD locals are on 61.5, yet my market is classified as Western Arc (my SD locals are on 110 and 119, which is important since only half of the locals are in HD, if you want any of the SD-only locals, you can't get them with an Eastern Arc dish.)

Now, that being said, my market was recently announced that it is moving to Eastern Arc, so they are attempting to normalize some of the orphan child markets, but who knows when that will actually happen?

While having everybody on a pure Eastern or Western Arc setup appears to be their goal, they aren't there yet, and there are exceptions to just about every rule.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The nine Buffalo, NY, locals are available on 61.5 (with WPXJ using the ION feed on 72.7). You could cut 110 and have all of your local channels from 61.5.

18. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    Interesting. I've been following the uplink reports here and on another site since it was announced that Buffalo would eventually become true EA, and I didn't see those changes. The EKB 61.5 channel list seems out of date, as it only holds the 5 HD stations this area has had for a long time. But on another site, their list shows 8 of the nine stations you mention, with three of them being SD -- I don't recall seeing those go active in the uplink reports (but with so many recent changes centered around 119 it would be easy to miss.) Also, that other list shows one of the newer channels as SD, but I'm actually getting it in HD from 61.5 and SD from 110?

Looking on my receiver at the SD only channels, they are still shown as coming from 110. (Perhaps 110 is taking priority, even though it's on both birds?) But with them on 61.5 now, even though it's not official yet, I guess that means I could go ahead and move now to a pure EA setup with a 1000.4? (I have all MPEG4 equipment.)

But that still doesn't change the fact that there are DMAs with their locals on 61.5, which are still officially part of the Western Arc according to the DMA lookup tool which still says "Western Arc DMA, You may use both MPEG2 and MPEG 4 Equipment. Buffalo NY"

19. bosox

bosox Cool Member

Feb 3, 2008
    I am scheduled to have the EA changeover tomorrow. The interesting thing is that the CSR told me that this changeover is for customer with HD receivers only and that even though I had a mix of legacy and HD receivers, that they "would make an exception" for me.

Any thoughts as to what I can expect?!?!

20. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Your legacy equipment will be getting replaced.