EchoStar, DirecTV Win Wireless Licenses

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Earl Bonovich, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 9, 2006 #1 of 26
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060809/1328572.html?.v=1

2. Aug 9, 2006 #2 of 26
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  3. Aug 9, 2006 #3 of 26
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Joint ventures do not equate to mergers. More often than not, they don't even lead to cooperation between the involved parties.

4. Aug 9, 2006 #4 of 26
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "...doesn't play well with others"

Yes, just look how well Charlie got along with little Billy Gates, or anyone for that matter.

5. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Does the partnership have a name?

6. UHF

UHF AllStar

Jan 10, 2005
    Didn't Charlie already get burned in a joint venture with Rupert back in the early days of Dish Network?

7. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The two companies have teamed up under the name Wireless DBS LLC to bid on licenses together.

Interesting that "Dolan Family Holdings" is also on the bidders list.
    (Dolan owns cablevision and Voom.)

8. SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer Godfather

Feb 20, 2005
    Can we say "Wi-Fi access"?

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Wouldn't it be cool if receivers could call in via "Wi-Fi" instead of phone lines? :D

10. radlynch

radlynch Cool Member

Jul 4, 2006
    It makes sense that they would merge. AT&T is merging with Bellsouth. AT&T sells Dish Network and Bellsouth sells DirecTV with there telephone packages.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It would be neat, but certainly no way to meet the goal of insuring that account stacking among neighbors wasn't going on. That is the point, isn't it?

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISHComm connections between the receivers will help that.
    Report via WiFi what receivers can be seen via DISHComm. :)

13. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    Won't stop a neighbor from just running his own lines from the switch.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Won't stop al quada from trying to figure out how to attack America (and the rest of the world) either. The only way to truly stop all signal theft is to turn off the satellites. If someone wants to steal signal enough to run a coax from the same switch they can run a phone line too.

BTW: DISHComm is power line based. Think X10.

Having another way for the receivers to "call in" is useful. Or E* could use that space for pocket video (similar to Verizon's VCast service and similar products). Or both. Bandwidth is good.

15. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    Power line based? That really makes it easy for neighbors to share then. Since heighboring homes tend to share transformers in some areas.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you can get X10 to work reliably between neghboring houses. I've seen repeater modules that are needed to bridge between the 120v legs within a house. All sorts of things can interfere with these kind of signals ... I suppose when E* turns DISHComm on the forum will be filled with "DISHComm doesn't work" posts.

I doubt if immediate neighbors sharing a dish or power company transformer are the bulk of account stackers. If E* chooses to use this or other connectivity to allow their receivers to report in it will help with the "cell phone only" crowd. If they choose not to use new connectivity we are in the same place we are today -- connect phone lines or keep your receiver count down -- or talk to the audit team.

It is only one possible use of the spectrum - and a minor one at that. They may be looking at it for wireless internet or as I mentioned above, wireless pocket video. Plenty of options.

At the moment though it is bandwidth. A place where communications can happen. And an important space since the communication can be two way.

17. gbertler

gbertler New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    What they could possibly do is make it maditory to have the receivers on the same network to communicate with each other, if they have ethernet capablities. Even make it have to call out on the same IP address.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That would require people to have a home network connected to DSL or a computer that would share it's dialout connection with the rest of the house. People complain enough about the phone line requirement (which would be met if a person's only internet was dialup - just connect the phone!). Now you're saying that customers without a phone are required to have DSL/high speed internet?

I'm almost sorry I brought it up since this thread about licenses has drifted far from the auction at hand into another E* Audit Team thread. E* is working on solutions for the 'I don't want phone lines all over my house' crowd (multiple tuner receivers and DISHComm). Perhaps if they had their own wireless network they could sell a "PPV pal" that would provide a connection back home for purchasing PPV or for other internet connected data. Or they could just branch out into pocket video/data devices.

It is good bandwidth ... equivilent to what Nextel was given by the government to get them away from the public service bands they interfere with or even bigger. As I've said before, they will find a use for it.

19. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    So seeing that Dish Network and Directv are doing this as a joint venture, they would not need a merger in the future if they decide to broadcast the content as an IPTV service instead of doing it through the satellite. It will already be one company. As IPTV becomes popular they could swap out hardware to allow it to receive content from the joint venture.

20. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003

I agree with you Jake , that sounds like a good option for both companies to me. If they could do the same sharing or forming of another third company 50/50 owned by both sat companies for the hd /sd locals , then both companies would benefit . These third party partnerships will give them the benefits of a merger while they remain independent entities. They don't need any government approval either when they do limited partnerships.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.