1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EchoStar/NDS Case Underway Today

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Richard King, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1 of 73
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    http://www.skyreport.com/#article6
    More.....
    THIS could be interesting. I wish Echostar the BEST of luck and hope that, if the accusations are true, that they nail the jerks.

2. Apr 9, 2008 #2 of 73
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not to be confused with NPS ... which was yesterday. :)
    Gotta get a scorecard.

3. Apr 9, 2008 #3 of 73
    rocatman

rocatman Icon

Nov 27, 2003
    Wasn't NDS associated with News Corporation?

4. Apr 9, 2008 #4 of 73
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    NDS = News Data Systems, a division of News Corp, the owner of Directv at the time of the event in question. Dish is accusing News Corp employees of breaking their security system and leaking the break to the outside world, not a nice thing to do.

5. Apr 9, 2008 #5 of 73
    BabaLouie

BabaLouie AllStar

Apr 2, 2004
    Wow! If News Corp did indeed have a hand in helping the Dish hackers, this ought to be HUGE...

6. Apr 9, 2008 #6 of 73
    tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    This could be interesting indeed. But it is getting dificult to keep track of E*'s court cases.

7. Apr 9, 2008 #7 of 73
    spear61

spear61 Godfather

Sep 19, 2004
  8. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Multichannel News has a nice long article on the story: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6549687.html

9. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
  10. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Here's the interesting part of the first article (at least to me).
    I find it interesting because NDS does not refute the fact that THEIR (not there) employee made the postings, simply that they are not responsible. I think Dish might even win this one (maybe). Also, overstating the effect of an illegal action doesn't make the action legal.

11. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Judge Urges Settlement In Dish Network Dispute With News Corp. Unit

Santa Ana, Calif.—Dish Network CEO Charlie Ergen spent part of his time on the stand Thursday trying to convince a jury that a lawsuit against News Corp division NDS Group was not filed in retaliation for News Corp.’s successful bid for satellite rival DirecTV Inc.

more at http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6550455.html

12. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Favorite quote from that article:

13. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I suspect that all the security companies have such "squads", but it's what they do with the info AFTER they hack it that matters. This could be interesting to watch. I hope they don't settle.

14. spear61

spear61 Godfather

Sep 19, 2004
    If I understand correctly, they admit opening up the code but deny knowingly releasing it on the web. Seems to me it's just like a swimming pool. You are liable for injuries if you don't keep it fenced since it is natural for the neighbor kids to want to get in the water. Similarly, it's obvious smart card code is valuable and hackers would like to get a copy of code laying around some office and you would be liable for leaving it unsecured (negligance)

15. cboylan3

cboylan3 Godfather

Jan 26, 2004
    I dont think they admitted to hacking Dish's code, just that they hired a hacker to help with their own security. Now if you are correct that they are saying that they hacked it but did not release it, well they would have still broken the law. Remember directv's campaign from 2001 to 2004 where they sued people for buying card readers/writers and argued that they bought with intent but there was no proof that interception actually happened?

So they cant say they were right in that campaign and also be right that it was ok for them to hack dish as long as they didn't release it.

16. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    From the article:

For instance, an NDS engineer from Haifa, Israel, already testified Thursday that he’s part of the firm’s “Black Hat” squad that hacked Dish’s security cards; while Nagravision’s chief testified that he employs a Canadian hacker that was once prosecuted for piracy by NDS.

17. Westking

Westking Cool Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Good luck to Dish!!! Perhaps if they win maybe they can use the proceeds to pay the TIVO settlement.

18. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    The money for the tivo settlement has been in the bank since the original verdict Earning interest. Nice try though.

19. Teagore

Teagore Cool Member

Apr 23, 2008
    the article said this lawsuit if 5 years old. that would make it right after the failed merger no? or am i wrong?