1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EchoStar: We Have 48 National HD Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by vikerex, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 43
    vikerex

vikerex AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    EchoStar: We Have 48 National HD Channels
    The satcaster adds one channel, but increases its count by nine.
    By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (October 8, 2007) -- EchoStar's Dish Network last Friday added TBS HD to its high-def lineup.
    And today, it issued a press release saying the addition now gives it 48 national High-Definition channels.

See the rest of the article here: http://www.tvpredictions.com/echo48100807.htm

I got a kick out of their math.

Ted:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 43
    Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    :eek2:

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 43
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    It must be what they call that "New Math"... :lol:

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 43
    Juppers

Juppers Icon

Oct 26, 2006
    It's called "Spin".

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 43
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    this is a no spin zone

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 43
    He Save Dave

He Save Dave Legend

Jun 5, 2006
    I think they're counting PPV channels, which is lame.

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 43
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    That's some truly bad math on Echostar's part. Here's hoping for 11 new channels this Wednesday from DIRECTV, just to see how Echostar responds .....

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 43
    jeffgus

jeffgus New Member

May 23, 2007
    What is Echostar's capacity right now? They might be at pace right now because of the channels they have with the Voom purchase. They were channels created specifically for Voom. The thing is DirecTV is adding brand new channels that haven't existed before (MGM, Fox Business, etc). Does Echostar have the space to do this?

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 43
    morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Competition is good for all. Marketing spin is good for...ah, um...not much that that I care about.

10. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    IF DISH uses newer mpeg 4 encoders on their hd locals it is speculated that they could have room for about 40 -50 hd national channels, using the existing 61.5 ,129, 110,118,5 sats. The newer encoders are more efficient in using bandwith , allowing for more to be added in better picture quality. Right now they are using first generation mpeg 4 encoders on their hd locals . THey could change these out soon allowing for all the locals to be compressed even more ,allowing more hd channels to be added , and picture quality would look better than today. I am sure that they are going to do this so they can continue to compete with DIrectv's additions through the end of the year. DISH could also migrate ALL hd to mpeg 4 by years end allowing even more room for more hd channels using the existing satellites they already have now. THen next year( some time) there will be the new sats launched that will allow up to 200 national hd channels , 100 hd local cities, all the sd channels , all internationals , all sd locals all on one 18 " sat dish . DISH's future for hd still looks bright. BUt thanks to DIRECTV for forcing all providers to get off their collective butts and adding more hd channels . THis year has truely been the year for more hd.

11. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    Actually, by my count, using D* counting methodology, we have 41 HD channels today (not counting dups on 72/209, 73/206, etc.). That means we only need 8 more... But I'll settle for lebenty-leben. :D

Edit: Oops, I DID include the dups --:sure: Oh well, I'll still settle for lebenty-leben.

12. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    are you sure that all the channels will be available on an 18" dish. I thought it would be the hd channels on the the 18, not the sd channels too. If it is where is all this bandwidth coming from with an 18" focus point. Can you list the slots.

13. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    The fact that E* had to remove one of it's PPVs to put on TBS HD, and that they decided to include their PPV in their channel count seems to indicate they E* has hit a wall (temporarily)with adding new HD channels. By saying that they have 48 channels under their new definition, they can still claim to be the HD leader for a bit longer when D* tops 40 channels.

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Sorry, just have to mention it. D* announced their roadmap for adding HD channels, what satellites had to be launched, expected dates for when things would happen (that they didn't make due to unplanned problems outside their control) and what channels they planned to launch. Folks jumped all over D* for making statements like this, the biggest complaint was D* was full of BS announcing HD channels that they were going to launch that don't exist, which we now know they do exist.

Charlie makes an off hand comment once about some new MPEG4 based DBS system using two unnamed satelltes that were supposed to be launching near the end of the year, carrying more channels then the existing E* DBS system all being received on a single 18" dish and people are saying look this is how E* will keep up with D*. I just wish that E* folks would put this new rumored system under the same microscope that they did against D*'s plans.

15. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    It's the CoE*.

16. RandybinSC

RandybinSC AllStar

Aug 5, 2007
    Code of Excellence?

17. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    D* should count channel 77 towards it's HD count. And 94, 95 and 98. And it's 1 HD PPV channel. Geez, I just upped D* HD count by 5!

18. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    and if that's the case, the local cable company is about to get their head handed on a platter to them. No Big 10 Network and no national HD networks added in at least 2 years.

19. hengnv

hengnv Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    And if you would count the NFL ST Super Fan HD channels, that would be 9 more....

20. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I thought you would have seen it in my sig. It's the Cult of Echostar©. Those E* subs that, like fundamentalists everywhere, believe their way is the One True Way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.