1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eddie Murphy to play comedian Richard Pryor in forthcoming biopic/drama

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by Steve615, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    From hitfix.com,dated 2/26/09 :
    HitFix confirmed that Eddie Murphy is attached to play legendary comedian Richard Pryor in the new drama "Richard Pryor:Is It Something I Said?" for Oscar-winning writer and director Bill Condon.
    Fox Searchlight is financing the $25 million project.
    The current "title" of the film will likely change before before release to theaters.
    Condon is looking to start production this summer for a 2010 release.
    More info at the following link.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2009-2-26-breaking-eddie-murphy-to-play-richard-pryor

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Eddie Murphy as Richard Pryor, I don't think you could find a better choice!

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't see it.

Young Eddie Murphy was funny, but still no Richard Pryor.

For this kind of movie to really work well, they'd be better off finding a new/unknown actor to play the part I think.

4. deltafowler

deltafowler Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Aug 28, 2007
    I can't see it either, but I'm hopeful that Murphy has the depth and ability to get it done, despite my reservations.
    In terms of talent, Will Smith would probably have a better chance of getting it right.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I agree, especially since Richard Prior was Eddie Murphy's primary comedic influence, as he's stated many times.

6. Mar 1, 2009 #6 of 12
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I think Eddie can get it done! Will Smith would be like Bill Cosby trying to be Richard Prior, Will is too clean and smooth, Eddie has the edge it would take to pull off some of the more vulgar things Richard Prior did.

7. Mar 1, 2009 #7 of 12
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree....although Chris Rock with some makeup could probably do the job too... :D

8. Mar 1, 2009 #8 of 12
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    But who is going to play Eddie Murphy? Pryor called Murphy after he did an impression of him in one of his concert movies.

9. Mar 1, 2009 #9 of 12
    BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi Godfather

Jan 1, 2004
    Murphy of coarse!! He can play multiple characters!:D

10. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
  11. deltafowler

deltafowler Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Aug 28, 2007
    I haven't seen Eddie's edge since about 1992, and even then it wasn't like Pryor's style. Murphy is a smart-***, but Richard Pryor was a comedic genius and his work raised the bar for years to come.

Murphy sold his edge to Disney. I don't blame him, but that's what he did.
    How much edge and depth does one need to play Norbit? :lol:

If the film's going to be mostly a concert remake, then Murphy can probably pull it off, but if it's about the demons that made Richard Pryor who he was, then Murphy simply can't pull it off.

Smith is 1,000 times the talent, and this kind of role would show a range in him which we've yet to see.

Heck, I might even pay to see that movie! :D

12. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    Sorry but Murphy is too old. Chris Rock could do it I think. I am sure Will Smith is too busy doing big buck action flicks. There is plenty young talent out there but you do not sell movie ideas to studios without some star power. I see a flop coming, at least for people like me who loved Pryor's work.