1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EHD Fee

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by VDP07, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Beginning on 2/1, $0 EHD fee for the 612, 622, 722, 722k and 922.:) $40 fee for the 211 and 211k will still apply.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I've seen that discussed online... It's weird. I'm quite surprised that they would go from $40 to zero.

I could have waited 2 years to get it free... but that $40 would be long gone by now... so I don't feel cheated... but surprising that Dish didn't lower the fee instead of removing it entirely.

I still wish they would find a way to unify the service, even if they charge fees for the 211... so that you could share the drive with other Dish receivers on your account.

Another aspect I'm curious about... With the fee, if you deactivated your account and then came back to Dish later... you used to have to pay the fee again... AND all your old recordings wouldn't be viewable on your new account.

I'm wondering IF they are doing away with the fee... if they would consider doing away with that aspect too... so that if you leave and come back, you could use your old/saved EHD again. That would be a nice thing to do to entice customers to come back again.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The recordings will still be tied to your account number, so if that changes, you won't have access to the old content. And there are significant differences in how the EHD is used between the HD-DVRs and the 211, and those prevent them from being used with each other.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    How about free playback on a 211 but enabling the DVR/extended EPG/buffering features on a 211 would still require a fee?

That would work for me. It would be handy to play 622 recorded stuff on the 211 ... and not make the 211 a recorder that required a 24/7 powered external drive.

5. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Well, yeah... I know that is how it works now... but part of the reason for that was because they wanted to charge the $40 fee. If they stop charging the fee, they wouldn't have to be as restrictive as they are currently.

They could very easily implement a process by which you activate your new account and then the first time you connect that hard drive and it verifies that it was previously used on a now unactive Dish account... then it could enable it for your new account.

Granted, it would require some programming effort from the engineers... but it should be doable... and there's no reason now not to consider it if they aren't going to make you pay again.

I know that there *are* differences... but there don't have to be exclusive differences. The primary reason to make them incompatible before was because they wanted to charge a separate fee for each type of EHD service.

Now that they are going to give you free EHD archive capability on your DVRs... it seems to me that (as James suggested) they could make it so that you could view the content on your other Dish receivers.

The 211 needs different EHD formatting to contain the 9-day EPG and some other stuff that normally goes on your DVR internal drive... but the movies you archive should be capable of storage in a similar format.

If I have a 722 and a 211... and EHD for each of them... I would think it reasonable to expect:

1. EHD archive formatted by the 722 could be played back on the 211 BUT you could not record new content from the 211 onto that drive.
    2. EHD archive formatted by the 211 could be played back on the 722 BUT you could not archive new content from the 722 to that drive.

That would seem to be a reasonable feature expectation... and still preserves their desire to charge $40 for the ability to use the 211 as a DVR to record things.

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I could see a process where a restored account/new account from a previous subscriber would be given the same code so the old drive would work ... but reassigning an old drive to a different account? I don't see that happening.

It would be too easy for me to cancel my subscription then give or eBay a drive full of content to another DISH customer.

I'd expect #1 but not #2 - although #2 would be nice for those who would use a 211 as a backup place to record things to be played back on the 722.

I'd also like to see the extended EPG/buffering on the 211 be optional and be able to set it for record/playback only - but I'm probably the only one who wants that.

7. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I guess what I was thinking was that they could probably be able to tell that you were the owner of the previous account... so they could verify that Joe Bob had account XXX but now has YYY and that XXX was de-activated.

Thinking about it, though, your idea is probably easier to implement at the CSR than at the receiver... i.e. You sign up for a new/reactivated account and they verify that you used to have an account and can re-hit your current receivers with the old Key so your existing EHDs would work again.

That makes sense... I would expect that more people who want those extra things (9-day EPG and buffering) would want a full DVR anyway... so one could view the 211 + EHD as a mid-step towards that.

Allowing you to disable those features would give you some more storage space if you didn't want to use the 211 the same way you would expect to use a 622/722/922.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Why would you need to change account numbers? That only sounds like it would happen for those that cancel and sign up under another name to try to fraud E* about being a new customer...which is a huge no-no for anyone with scruples...

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    When one cancels then returns after two years do they get the same account number? Is the account number tied to them for life?

10. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    I left Dish Network for DIRECTV a couple of years back. When I came back to Dish Network, I was given a different account number - even though I told them I was a previous customer.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That would be a good situation where giving you the same "household key" when you returned would allow you to access your old EHD (assuming you had one when you left) despite your new account number.

There are probably not a lot of people in that situation.

12. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    That didn't even come up - but they made me pay the $40 EHD fee again, even though I argued that I had already paid it once.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Paying again is one of those "lifetime" things. When you leave you're dead to them.

The same applies to the $99 (or grandfathered) HD Free "for life".

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Same here.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I can see where this is double-edged...people want the new customer deals, but also want to be treated as returning customers when it comes to say the EHD activation fee, it can't work both ways....or even have those recordings from 2 or 3 years ago still be able to be played if they for some reason kept the drive intact while off with another service provider.

16. PostItNote

PostItNote Cool Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Just a reminder to everyone, the free EHD is now live :)

I signed up last night - thanks for the heads up on this!

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You mistakenly misinforming ppl here - account number is not a HouseHoldKey for archiving. HHK should be retrieve from own data base same way as DES key.

18. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    He's not really misinforming people. Yes, there is a Household Key... but if you cancel your account and start a new account, you will not get the same Household Key back. That key was partially a function of your account number.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    While it could be (we have no proof of that !), HHK (not what we can see under Counters) should be storing and sending different [secure] way, same way as DES key - into a card.

20. jimb

jimb AllStar

Feb 12, 2006
    Who do we call to get a refund for those of us that paid this ridiculous fee years ago?