Ehhhh, What's Up Doc?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by SayWhat?, Jul 27, 2015.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://time.com/3967572/bugs-bunny-75/

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Felices cumpleaños Bugs.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And now some of the old cartoons come with a disclaimer that they are for adult viewing only.

Some Looney Tunes characters and plots do at least benefit from a knowledge of history and popular culture at the time.

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    If I owned a streaming service, one of the products I would be looking to offer would be WB cartoons. All of them. Each and every one. Very few of us could disagree that WB accomplished one of the great artistic achievements of the 20th century. Chuck Jones, Friz Freleng, Mel Blanc....the cornucopia of genius is unending. Disney should have had this sort of genius, but they really didn't. Pixar and WB make Disney look like a bunch of pikers. If the world of the 50's had seen Cali theme parks based on WB characters instead of DIsney characters, I think they would have sold a pot-load more E-tickets.

One media thing that shocked me the other day was that parents are punishing their kids by making them watch TV. Read it again. WTF, get out of town, whoa, whoa, whoa, stop the clock. When I was a kid I was punished by not being allowed to watch TV. But today it is a punishment to have your iPad taken away and be forced to watch TV. It's a real thing. And common.

And this tells me that streaming services are driven, possibly in large part, by the ability to park kids in front of an iPad, instead of a TV, which is what most of us were parked in front of back in the day. That means that kid-friendly, family-friendly (OK, some of the beauty of WB cartoons might have been its lack of being family friendly at times) content is an asset to a streaming service. And I can't think of another asset that might be this good.

I used to battle depression, but I beat it. Depression-free for 2 decades and counting. But I keep a bunch of DVDs of The Three Stooges available, in case I go into a blue funk (has yet to happen). I think if we each had the ability to dial up a 7-minute Bugs adventure on demand, none of us would ever have to worry about a funk of any kind.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The one interesting bit on Mel Blanc is that some of the characters voices were actually very similar, they'd speed them up afterwards.

His Tweety was sped up, and I believe Porky was as well.