1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EKB News Monitor Poll: How do you feel about split market signal importation?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Raymie, May 3, 2009.

What is your opinion on split-market signal importation?

1. Yes, it should be done

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, keep the markets as is

62 vote(s)
    96.9%
  3. Not sure/not affected/other ideas

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. May 3, 2009 #1 of 10
    Raymie

Raymie Godfather

Mar 31, 2007
    http://www.multichannel.com/article/231111-Congress_Ready_To_OK_Importing_Signals.php?rssid=20059

The hot issue with cable in Congress right now is whether to let satellite companies (and possibly cable) import signals from other markets to so-called split markets. Split markets contain parts of two or more states. Under this law, Dish and DirecTV could import signals from the Peoria, Illinois, market into the Illinois side of the St. Louis market.

Cable is lobbying to get this treatment too, saying if one, then the other.

It is possible that the split-market importation could be part of SHVERA's renewal. [I'm unsure if Dish's existing ban on distant networks would extend to split-market signals, but I assume not.]

Split markets include St. Louis, New York, Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Yuma-El Centro, Chicago, Cincinnati, El Paso-Las Cruces, Amarillo, Pittsburgh, Boston, Providence, Tallahassee, Mobile-Pensacola, Albuquerque, Rochester-Mason City-Austin, Shreveport, Portland OR, Medford-Klamath Falls, Tulsa, Lincoln, Burlington VT, Paducah, Washington DC, Kansas City, Idaho Falls, and more, and portions of quite a few of the 210 TV markets would be affected.

2. May 3, 2009 #2 of 10
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I answered this "yes" because it is the right thing. With that said, I would like to see this accomplished primarily to get a foot in the door for future discussions about distant broadcast stations and national network channels being carried on both satellite and cable while dropping requirements that satellite companies be forced to allow local infomercial/old-crappy-movie local channels to occupy bandwidth just because they don't charge the satellite company.

3. May 4, 2009 #3 of 10
    moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    A huge DITTO!

I live in St. Louis and can subscribe to the Washington Post or the NY Times, if I want to. Why then shouldn't I have the freedom to view say, the NYC NBC affiliate rather than my local channel, when my channel decides to preempt or delay a network event for an infomercial or a syndicated rerun?

Given the choice, I would much rather view the NYC or Chicago outlet than Peoria (no insult intended). But I'll take what I can get ;)

4. May 4, 2009 #4 of 10
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Honestly - my feelings are that if you can receive a station OTA - then DBS and cable should be allowed to send it to you also.

Not that this would affect me much - I'm pretty much confined to one DMA here. But those people in Washington DC / Baltimore DMAs (and others, I'm sure) would benefit.

5. May 4, 2009 #5 of 10
    jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Yes, and people in the southern part of the Sherman/Ada market should get Dallas too. Or at least WFAA so they can have ABC.

6. May 4, 2009 #6 of 10
    kevin d

kevin d Mentor

Sep 20, 2005
    Anyone know if this would effect intrastate split markets?

Hattiesburg, MS has NBC and CBS and the coastal counties have ABC and FOX, but they are two separate markets. I have been hoping they would allow combining of these two markets since cable does it all ready.

Actually, Hattiesburg cable has ABC and FOX from the coast, but the coast cable has NBC and CBS from New Orleans and Mobile. I suppose the coast could get locals from there and either NO or Mobile and we still would be screwed.

Kevin D.

7. May 4, 2009 #7 of 10
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    You must mean our KRON-TV who just has infomercials 18 hours a day. This station a NBC affiliate for 50 years.

8. May 4, 2009 #8 of 10
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Cable is not bound to the market definition. They CAN and generally do cross "market" lines ... and in many cases MUST. (An out of market TV station can force carriage on cable ... even though carriage via satellite to the same customers is basically forbidden.)
    The current "out of market" law (significantly viewed) was written into the "distants" part of the law - so yes, DISH is banned from carrying those out of market stations (and turned off many stations being carried to the next market when they turned off their distants). DirecTV has not taken advantage of the law.

For this to help DISH customers it needs to be moved/written into the LOCALS part of the law, not the distants part. To help DirecTV customers DirecTV simply needs to take advantage of the permissions already there.

There have been attempts but this being a SHIVERA year there is a better chance of getting something done this year than any other.

9. May 4, 2009 #9 of 10
    Drewg5

Drewg5 Icon

Dec 15, 2006
    St. Louis
    Yes

10. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    i voted yes, as i live in one such "split-market".

When I had cable, I received stations from the Florida DMA that we are included in, but also from Georgia stations.

Currently, its not an issue for me because i have an antenna connected to my receiver to pick up locals from both areas.

But if I did not, I would be upset about not getting both markets. The main reason is for the news and weather.

The Florida NBC does not have a news program, but the Georgia one does and it covers my area. I watch the Florida CBS station because it also covers local news for me, but also weather and tide reports for the area our beach property is in, which is important to me.

Also, because I'm in the FL DMA, my locals package with dish does not include the GA PBS station. I had to pay extra for my PBS until last month, when they finally boosted their digital signal allowing me to receive it.