El Rey & Fusion gone after 1-20-20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Rob37, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Just received mail that El Rey channel 341 & Fusion channel 342 are leaving the DIRECTV channel lineup January 20, 2020. I watch some things on El Rey & I am going to miss the channel. With that said will our bill get a little discount since those channels will no longer be provided?

2. oriolesmagic

oriolesmagic Member

Aug 6, 2013
    MD
    Of course it won't get a discount. In fact, you'll actually still get a price hike for less content. I don't think either of these channels are long for this world. Both have struggled to really catch fire, have shaky ownership situations being passed around, and have limited carriage, which this appear would make the situation even worse.

SamC likes this.
  3. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    My receiver has the following message [today, Monday, December 23, 2019]:

“Effective 1/23/20, El Rey and Fusion channels will not longer be available. For more info please visit att.com/tvchannelupdates.”

More information:

TV Channel Updates for AT&T & DIRECTV TV Services

4. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    El Ray is basically the ONLY channel I miss since leaving D*.

5. larry55

larry55 Legend

Jun 3, 2010
    I never watch these channels.

SamC likes this.
  6. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    If they gave you a discount for discontinuing 2 channels, they could raise your price every time they added a channel. You pay for a service, not a specific group of channels

compnurd likes this.
  7. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    The only show I ever watched on either of these networks was "No, You Shut Up!" on Fusion, a comedy political talk show involving puppets. Fusion was originally a joint venture of ABC and Univision, and "No, You Shut Up!" was apparently a victim of ABC giving up their interest in the channel.

8. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    looks like the end is near for these 2 networks. El Rey kinda had been rumored to be shutting down soon and ain't on Dish or Sling TV anymore after the Dish/Univision dispute was resolved. so pretty much these 2 channels are moving to Cable exclusive channels unless Univision folds it or turns them into a streaming service. we are entering the channel cancelation era of cable.

Sent from my Coolpad 3632A using Tapatalk

9. MrWindows

MrWindows New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Phoenix,...
    I've really enjoyed catching up with the first two seasons of '19-2' on El Rey, a pretty good Canadian cop show. I was looking forward to seasons 3 & 4.

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I didn't know we had those channels to begin with

compnurd likes this.
  11. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    In all honestly not many traditional providers carry El Rey and Fusion anymore. Only Sling TV and PS Vue (which is on its way out) had Fusion while El Rey isn't available on streaming TV at all.

Fusion: Dish, Spectrum, Verizon FiOS, Cox, Suddenlink, Sling TV, Mediacom and Google Fiber (8 out of the top 18 MVPDs and vMVPDs combined)
    El Rey Network: Xfinity, Spectrum, Verizon FiOS, Cox, Suddenlink, Mediacom, Frontier Atlantic Broadband and Google Fiber (9 out of the top 18 MVPDs and vMVPDs combined)

If I were to take an educated guess here AT&T's contract with Univision must have come up and these two channels were not important or Univision is planning on discontinuation once existing contracts expire like what happened with NBCUniversal's Cloo and Chiller. After AT&T drops both channels both El Rey and Fusion will only be carried by 2 of the top 4 MVPDs (Xfinity, DirecTV, Spectrum and Dish).

APB101 likes this.
  12. sticketfan

sticketfan Legend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vermont
    All att does since they took over is raise prices and take away channels...if SundayTicket leaves I might think about it too

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Just go now. Call there bluff

14. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    Didn't we just get El Rey in HD in the last 2 yrs ? Shouldn't the carriage agreement be longer than a few yrs ?

15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Univision was up for renewal this month Either way it looks like these channels may be going away all together soon. Nothing to do with Direct

Dishdude714 likes this.
  16. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    We've been slowly reaching this point for a while, at least in my opinion. It used to be the re-branding of channels to create new niche avenues of content. The only problem is that you need really great, original programming to have a hook for subscribers to truly latch onto these ancillary channels. (Which, is somewhat ironic, given what we'll apparently watch on the four major broadcast channels.) And most of them likely don't have the budget to invest in that programming. Always saddened for those that did enjoy channels that get cut. But just feels like a next step in the way we're heading with programming.

17. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    If asked to describe in two sentences what each channel on the entire system is, I would fail totally with El Rey. It seems like a mish mash of pointless poorly made videos.

18. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you ask me there’s too many channels.

compnurd likes this.
  19. moob

moob Legend

Nov 19, 2008
    Well that's a terrible argument since they raise our prices every year regardless because their "programming costs went up."

I don't see those increases diminishing due to dropped channels. But hey, AT&T has only lost about 5 million subscribers over the last 3 years, so clearly they're doing right by their customers.

20. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    El Rey and Fusion are low cost channels that wouldn't amount to much off our bills. The real reasons for price increases is from things such as the recent CBS stuff and other major channels wanting more money per subscriber.