1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Election Night Ratings

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by rcoleman111, Nov 10, 2008.

1. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

Ratings from 8 to 11pm EST (average number of viewers in millions):

ABC 13.1
    CNN 12.3
    NBC 12.0
    FNC 9.0
    CBS 7.8
    MSNBC 5.9

71.5 million people watched election returns on broadcast and cable networks, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Source: Wall Street Journal

2. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    Wow. CNN kicked fnc to the curb.:hurah:

3. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    How many watched Comedy Central.

Better yet, how many watched anything but the coverage?

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have no idea how they would meter me, I changed channels about once every two minutes, thanks to the excellent DIRECTV Election Mix.

5. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

With 71.5 million people watching election coverage, I'd say not too many were watching Comedy Central that night.

6. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

I switched back and forth between CNN and FNC to see when they were calling states. CNN was being much more cautious in making projections, but both called the Presidential race as soon as the polls closed on the west coast. I forgot about the mix - I wish I had checked that out. It was one of those nights when I would have liked to have about 8 TVs going at once.

7. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    We watched movies off the EHD all night. I expect my 622 reported that at both the 7pm and 9pm (all times Mountain) automatic pollings.

8. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Wow, look at CBS...that would have been unfathomable 10 years ago.

9. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I agree on CNN. It almost seemed like they wanted to be the last people to call any of the states (So much for the theory that you had to be the first person to call everything if you wanted the ratings). FNC on the other hand was calling stuff as fast as they could get it on the screen. From watching the coverage, they probably took back almost as many calls as they made.

What I thought was funny is that after John McCain lost Ohio, everyone knew it was over. However, in respect for the folks on the west coast, they stalled for 1.5 hours (that or they knew their ratings would plummet after they announced the winner). Except for the BBC. I almost fell out of my chair when the guy on the BBC feed said something to the effect that none of the US stations will call it for Obama, but we will. Obama has won the US presidency. Then, paraphrasing again, you had Keith Oberman and his I'm not a math major, but if Barak Obama is at 205 and you add the 55 from California plus the ones for Oregon and Washington state, he has around 275. And you only need 270 to win. But I'm no math major.