DBSTalk Forum banner

Emergency Alert System

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  wahooq 
#1 ·
I have a feeling I'm just extremely late to this but the EAS test just popped up while I was watching TV. Has this happened before? I've never, ever seen it on Directv before.

#3 ·
Interesting. Since most channels are CONUS, they haven't been putting them on CONUS channels in the past as you would otherwise be bombarded by rainstorms in Missouri, tornado alert in Kansas, Hurricane moving in on Florida, Flooding alerts from Wisconsin, Wild wires in Colorado, a Tsunami alert on the west coast, all the while you are sitting in your nuclear-proof log-cabin in Maine. :D

They may have found a way to send them to zipcode areas though. Just as they send a continues stream of activations/deactivations that every receiver in America receives, they could use a hidden channel on a transponder to broadcast messages, that receivers will ONLY display if you match a certain zipcode.

I think I remember seeing an alert on the local KCAL9 here once. That is a spotbeam local channel, so maybe it had it already incorporated in its feed.

#8 ·
I got it today also around lunch time. It was a test from the Los Angeles County emergency broadcast system. If something bad goes down in LA at least I will know to switch to one of news channels and watch it live. It will take on hell of an earthquake to effect me in Mississippi, but thanks trying.

#9 ·
Had it pop up today on A&E. No sound as well, just the video.

- Merg

#10 ·
I suspect that since the last few system updates were rolled out by television market, they now have the ability to broadcast EAS messages the same way.

An EAS message will apply to an entire TV market, so it looks like that's what they were testing.

Now, I wonder if that message will also appear of you're watching a recorded program.

#12 ·
Yeah I noticed the message on my DVR's recording of the Olympics on NBC4, the local affiliate in Los Angeles.

Since their HQ is in Los Angeles, would it be possible they just inserted the Los Angeles test message to make sure it all works? If they permanently hooked it up, good luck y'all, they test around NOON once a week, and that is mandatory.

#14 ·
LynnW said:
I got the EAS message yesterday between 11 AM and noon on the Military channel. It was for Los Angeles and I'm in St. Louis.
Ya know, I didn't pay close enough attention to the text to see what it said.

- Merg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.