1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Employers asking for applicants Facebook passwords

Discussion in 'The OT' started by kiknwing, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1 of 74
    kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    From Yahoo.com

2. Mar 6, 2012 #2 of 74
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Create a second account, put pictures of Jesus on your page, and give them that one :)

3. Mar 6, 2012 #3 of 74
    chick3112215

chick3112215 AllStar

Jul 20, 2010
    delete your account, tell them you do not do such things.....

4. Mar 6, 2012 #4 of 74
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Would be interesting if it happened to me. I don't trust Facebook, so while I have an account, it takes some doing to log into it from an unrecognized system. Extremely long password and a text message with a random code.

5. Mar 6, 2012 #5 of 74
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The brother of a guy I work with is in charge of a number of recruiters who handle college grads applying to their company. He said one of their first steps in reviewing potential applicants is for them to review their social media posts/pictures.

6. Mar 7, 2012 #6 of 74
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    You see, they couldn't ask you to bring all your family and personal photo albums to an interview even for a job as a cop. But once you've gone public (and there is no such thing as privacy on the internet, for anything ever), you may have a problem....;)

7. Mar 7, 2012 #7 of 74
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Perhaps we need to add passwords to the list of things an interviewer is not allowed to ask (along with age, sex, ethnicity, religion, sexual preference, etc).

In a tough job market it would be harder to turn down a job because of such a requested personal breach of privacy. There is a line between finding out the character of the potential employee and invading their privacy. It is bad enough that interviews are at the point where one has to explain what was found via Google - let alone private passwords.

I've peed in the cup and undergone physicals including one with a prostate check (Hello!) as part of an interview process. But giving out my passwords - that's over the line.

8. Mar 7, 2012 #8 of 74
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Oh, wow! Getting your prostate checked as a part of a screening process for a job? Now that is over the line. I wonder what the corollary for female applicants would be?

9. Mar 7, 2012 #9 of 74
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I am not sure I would be willing to give a interviewer my passwords. I might understand once I have been offered the job but not during the interview process.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Password wouldn't happen...

But am I the only one who finds it ironic that someone who posts something on Facebook would complain about invasion of privacy if an employer wants to look at the page? I mean... if you post it publicly to Facebook, haven't you already waived your right to privacy on that particular topic?

EX: If you have a drunker rampage on the town and post pictures online... you lose the right to complain if someone sees those photos and doesn't want to hire you.

Two poor choices in judgment: One, the drunken rampage... TWO, posting the pictures for all to see!

11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Under no circumstance would I give out the password to ANY of my accounts. If I am lax about giving out my own passwords, how lax would I be in following other security policy or keeping sensitive information confidential?

12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I might "friend" them, but not give out the password. No way!

13. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Would they make a person who does not have a Facebook account one. You could lead a horse to water but??

14. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...

I am no expert when it comes to Facebook but isn't there a way to restrict who see's what? No offense but I thought there was a way to block certain groups from seeing selected posts and photo's (ie family group can see this group of photo's and posts while friends get another while the GP who you have not friended see's nothing)?

While I would agree with you on just about everything you said, I do have to wonder that if restrictions do exist on a site such as Facebook then maybe there is some right to privacy. If I am restricting photo's and posts to selected group then why should someone outside that group have the right to demand access?

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    As a former employer as well as employee, I am fine with nosing into a prospective's FB page, as it reveals a lot about a person's judgement. In addition to SV's scenario, there's a lot more to be revealed that falls short of a drunk. (Worse, posting the photos!)

At the same time, if you're Mickey D and hiring a busboy or girl, then, no it's inappropriate to delve into that.

16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    If they asked me, they'd get a blank stare since I don't have any such accounts.

I wonder if their invasion of privacy would extend to sites like this?

17. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    They don't have a "right" any more than you have a "right" to work there. What they are saying is we want to see who you are before we give you money. You are not forced to provide it, and they are not forced to give you a job.

Let's face it, they already do credit checks and criminal background checks. If you have nothing to be ashamed of, then let them see it. But make you "unlike" that fringe group you are a member of first. :)

18. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, fringe groups are out for most jobs! :sure:

In addition to traditional record checking, personal references are put into applications, and it's expected that at least some of them will be contacted.

19. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I would ask for their FB password as well. I have a right to know what kind of people I'm going to work for.
    Actually I would refuse. My FB is locked down to private, friends only. I don't give out my passwords, security issues. Very dangerous.

20. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Really?? You do realize such a stance will yield 0 job offers....