1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empty eSATA box question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Direct-Albert, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Direct-Albert

Direct-Albert Cool Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I’m about to order a new external enclosure to add to my system taking advantage of the Tenbox closeout very tempting sale but I’m not sure which are the best HDD to use, I asked Tenbox vendor and they told me to use the HDD DirecTV recommends but since there are not bare drives recommended at the DirecTV site, only complete enclosures, I’d like to have some input from other users here.

Thanks
    Al.

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Western Digital EVDS has my vote. 2TB, WD20EVDS specifically, but smaller may work for you too :D

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    D* doesn't "support" any eSATAs. It "suggests" two eSATA setups that are only 1TB. For about the same price, you can purchase an enclosure and a 2TB WD EVDS HDD. I doubt if you can find a better HDD, at the moment, and I'm pretty sure the TenBox doesn't have them in their enclosures. What the TenBox does have is a ridiculously priced range of eSATAs that they or their vendors will happily sell you. The 2TB version goes for about $700. What do you get for all that? Little more, if anything at all, than the aforementioned enclosure + WD EVDS 2TB HDD.

We actually had the TenBox guys on the forum for a while, but they bailed out. Too pricey and their guarantee is not much different than that of several high end (but much cheaper) eSATAs.

Rich

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If you don't have your heart set on TenBox, take a look at Antec MX-1 and Rosewill RX-358, they seem to be popular here.

5. Direct-Albert

Jun 12, 2008
    Thanks to matt1124 and to rich584 for your input.

I read here about the Antec MX-1 and other cheap single drive enclosures, but those are not for 24/7 continuous use.
    In my work I had problems with computer backup boxes overheating, it would not be safe to leave home with one of those
    connected to my DVR and working nonstop.
    With huge new drives there is no need for RAID boxes, but I like the RAID mirrored setting as it saves my recordings if one
    hard disk fails. Professional high-performance storage boxes as those used in servers are safe too, but they are also noisy
    and expensive, so I think the Tenbox enclosure at only $129 is a good choice now.

Regards
    Al

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Where are you getting them at that price and what is the capacity?

Rich

7. Direct-Albert

Jun 12, 2008
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Rich, I believe its a closeout, the $129 is the full enclosure assembled without HDD, it's at www.tenbox.net
    It is a steal, I guess theyre not making them anymore.I purchased a whole Tenbox a year back and never a problem.

Regards
    Al

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I love the 6 foot eSATA cable for $30. :lol:

- Merg

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    That's not a bad price for as nice as that box is.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    If you open up a HR2x, the HDD inside it is typically a WD. That kind of indicates that this is the HDD that they recommend.

I have had great luck with the EADS models (the EARS models do not work).

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Every 20-700 I've ever opened up has a Seagate in it. Can't speak about the 21 series. The EADS is a fine HDD, but the EVDS is even quieter. Some Seagates are quiet, some are noisy.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanx for the info.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Really makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Rich

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Don't forget that the 20-700's are the original and oldest of the HR series. They might have gotten all their original drives thru Seagate and moved to WD later, say the next model or two after that, possibly due to reliability issues, or price point, etc...

15. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    My refurbished 20-100 has a WD in it.

Hooked a 1TB WD in a WD My DVR Expander to it and it's been working great.
    I had bought an Antec MX1 to use, but never hooked the WD to my Tivo, so just used it instead.
    Antec is hooked to the computer for now, might hook it to one of the HR21's though.

phox