1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of lease and receiver "ownership"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dueport, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1 of 18
    dueport

dueport Mentor

Dec 2, 2009
    It was my understanding that you can never "own" your D* receiver - but I've read two recent threads that claim you can. Those threads refer to where you purchase your receivers (employees, ebay, etc) - my question for all of you is whether you can become an owner over time - after you've met your 24 month contract commitment?

For example, when I "bought" my three HR24s from Solid Signal a year ago I signed on as a new D* customer for a 24 month contract. I know that when I "bought" the receivers they were leased - and my bill statement currently notes their "leased" status. In a year, once I've met the 24 month requirement will I then "own" the receivers? Will their status change to "owned" on my statements?

2. Dec 3, 2011 #2 of 18
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Sorry but when you lease a receiver it is always a lease.

3. Dec 3, 2011 #3 of 18
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I just [had to] return two HR20s that were almost 5 years old, so no they never change to owned.
    They get "coded/branded" when they're activated and stay that way.

4. Dec 3, 2011 #4 of 18
    dueport

dueport Mentor

Dec 2, 2009
    Thank you both for your help. That's too bad - I thought that was the case but was hoping I was wrong after I read those other threads.

Logically, I understand the need to recoup their cost by "selling" it to you at below cost initially and locking you in for a period of time - just as cell companies do. It is frustrating that they don't allow you to "own" the hardware if you've been paying for a while. Maybe that period should be a year or two beyond the contract but it makes no sense for them to require you to return a receiver you've had for years and has little to no value at resale.

5. Dec 3, 2011 #5 of 18
    dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    Such is the nature of the pay TV industry. :(

6. Dec 3, 2011 #6 of 18
    evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    With a Cell phone you own it from day one. You just pay a big penalty if you don't keep the contract going the whole time. DirecTV's is just a different structuring of pricing and one I like. You pay a larger amount up front but the monthly costs per box are lower than anyone else I've compared it to. Comcast in my area wants 17 or 18$ per hd dvr per month vs a flat 6$ per month for any number of additional dvrs on DirecTV. After ~a year and a half (17 months using 12$ cheaper) you've saved the full 200% upfront fee of the dvr and then you get to just continue saving the difference for as long as you are a DirecTV customer and continue using the DVR. The more DVRs you have and the longer you use them the more you save long term. I wouldn't mind Cell phone companies doing something more like this. After all you keep paying the same rate after you are out of contract and have "paid" for your last phone upgrade even if you don't do another upgrade.

It is a little odd and I do have to admit it took me a while to get used to the idea when I signed up but in the end it's the service and your monthly cost that are what really matter. Owning the receiver does almost nothing for your typical customer. The monthly costs are still the same. An owned receiver still has the same fee, just a slightly different name. You can upgrade the HD with out breaking your lease agreement but very few people do that (esata is just easier) and you could do it on a leased box and probably never have problems.

The only thing I can see that ends up being an advantage is you can deactivate an owned receiver and not have to return it so it can be reactivated when you need it. My own H24 is currently deactivated because we've only got one hd tv right now so we don't really need it.

Since there are so few advantages of an owned receiver the resell value on them seems to be pretty poor as most people would rather just get a discounted leased unit.

7. Dec 3, 2011 #7 of 18
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The most obvious option you missed...when you want to upgrade to the newest tech (say HR34 5 tuner DVR w/PIP), you can sell your owned HR24 for close to what you paid for it, so you arent out that up front fee DirecTv charges for upgrades.

8. Dec 3, 2011 #8 of 18
    Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Interesting that they are still asking for HR20's back. I know they are horses, and I love mine, but they are five years old.

9. Dec 3, 2011 #9 of 18
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Stick an external drive on one and that horse will still run.

Rich

10. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    does this mean sell back to dtv or outright sell? i know during the intial discussions of the hr34, dtv was talking about a buy back program but had no hard idea of what they would pay per unit!

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I upgraded to a leased HR20-700 at the beginning of 2007. I called to deactivate it in 2010 and the CSR said it was listed on my account as owned. So yes, they can be switched from leased to owned but I have no idea why Directv did that other than that it is somewhat obsolete, although others have reported that they had to return theirs. Maybe when the supply of used receivers reaches a certain level they don't want to add to the stack.

I'm fairly sure there is no way to force a switch from leased to owned. Maybe it just happens randomly. :confused:

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think you really have to call the Access Card folks to definitely determine that any HR is actually owned. I've never had one changed from leased to owned.

Rich

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Directv just made a mistake as listing your DVR as Owned because I had to fight to get an "Owned" HR24-500 listed as "Owned" by the Access Card Department and I had to call back twice to talk to a Supervisor to have it listed in my Notes as "Owned" before she transferred me to the Access Card Dept. and they refused to do it and I told them to read the Notes and she was on the line and told them that it had been previously "Owned" and that I bought it from an Employee who "Owned" it so the Access Card Dept. CSR finally registered it as "Owned"!!!

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Has anyone ever call DirecTV and ask if they can purchase the lease receivers they already had?

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I tried but they told me No so I bought 3 Online at Ebay from Directv Employees and then got 2 more directly from Directv because I did a Favor for them and it was indeed an exception that came from Ellen Filipiak's Office and they have always treated me very well.

16. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I suppose if I ever want to re-authorize it I'll find out, but I doubt that will happen. In any case, they didn't want it back.

17. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    HR20s are refurbished for their OTA tuners, as some markets still don't have locals from DirecTV, much less HD locals.

18. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That and people having HR20's that need replaced and they want the OTA tuners. Either give them a HR20 or a free AM21 I guess.