End of Owning Music: How CDs, Downloads Died

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Rolling Stone:

The End of Owning Music: How CDs and Downloads Died
    Physical formats are cratering, but vinyl’s niche is growing. Jack White and other experts explain the future of listening.
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

I'm still scratching my head. I can understand the forward migration from CDs to downloadable music, but I think going back to vinyl is going backwards. I also can understand the concern about the tradeoffs in MP3 compression.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm not an audiophile but I have read that a lot of people think vinyl sounds better than CDs. Going digital doesn't surprise me, going back to vinyl surprises me. Same thing is gonna happen to BDs. Digital is just plain simpler. Might lose a little but...

Rich

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Since vinyl is analog you have less to worry about full range sound than you do with CDs. The CDs the sound quality depends on how it was mastered. Really well mastered CDs sound absolutely incredible. And there’s no reason it shouldn’t sound as good as vinyl. However many CDs are not mastered nearly as well as they should be.

Rich likes this.
  4. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    No surprise LP's are making a comeback, but there is one thing that astounds me.
    As changes in technology made playback, amplification, and speaker equipment better and better, the desire for quality recording by those purchasing all that equipment went in the opposite direction.
    Downloading from the net and Ipods at 128 bits flattened music to smithereens.
    When I bought an SACD player and a DVD audio player it seemed a VHS v Betamax war was starting. And quality would be the winner.
    It ended quickly with both sides losing.

Amazon has developed an HD streaming version of Music Unlimited with 50,000,000 tracks, and it might be worth trying for 30 days free.

Highest Quality Streaming Audio | Amazon Music HD

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    This is the settings that I use when I rip my CDs:
    MP3_settings 2020-04-12 06-52-36.png

Of course, I have a huge FreeNAS box with Plex installed which means that I have a ton of storage space available, and I am often streaming music at work from my server at home. Remember that when MP3 first started circulating, it was the late 1990s, and a 13GB hard drive could set you back $250, so compromises of audio quality vs disc space used was an issue. Today.... not so much.

I guess it's a sign of the times.

6. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Even though the article was from 2 years ago I guess it still applies to today.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You're a young 'whipper-snapper'. :)

I found my receipt a few years ago when cleaning out a file cabinet. A receipt for a 20MB hard drive for $650.00. Around 1992/93.

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Here is something that I pulled from the March, 1992 page 343 of Byte magazine:

Hard Drive.png 1992_03_BYTE_17-03_Memory_and_Storage_Advances_0343.jpg

My first MSDOS system had a 105MB hard drive which cost me a pretty penny too. And I remember when a 5MB hard drive cost easily $2k.

9. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My first PC in 1984 came with 128k RAM and two 320 kb floppy drives. I got a dot-matrix printer and a black and white monitor. Price for all that was roughly $3300. Later software upgrade allowed 360 kb floppy disks.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    1980 - 16K, cassette tapes. Happy to see 256k a couple of years later.

11. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I have a lot of vinyl and CDs in my home studio. Collected them throughout the years and never parted them. Sometimes I'll have a cousin say "Eva, how come you have all those? I can get those on my phone." Then one day when the phone network went down due to some issue, she came over and "I gots no music" and I walked over and put a CD on! I just got a weird look! :D

As for vinyl coming back - they thought it was only a temporary fad, but a few years later it's growing like weeds. Only bad thing the records you used to get for a dime a dozen now cost some change.

MysteryMan likes this.
  12. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ah yes the good ole days of playing video games on an Apple IIe (and then an Apple IIc) green screen, making cassettes from albums, then CD’s, to listen to in Walkmans and cars, then copying music and podcasts to MP3 CD’s to listen to in the car, before iPods and thumb drives came along, and having to rewind video tapes before returning them to the video store. Good times :)