Enough is enough, FCC recovery fee

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Big6Dad, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Big6Dad

Big6Dad Mentor

Feb 7, 2007
    So yesterday D sends me an email that my programming is going up $6 a month starting February. Today I get an email that my February bill will included a 67 cent FCC recovery fee for programming provided the last 2 years. 67 cents, really....add to that they state in the email that they are NOT required to collect this fee from its costomers. So it's simply a money grab from ATT for 67 cents per customer. I'd be embarrassed to send out that email, but not ATT. Time to give a hard look at other options or cut the cord completely. This from a 25+ year customer.

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Check your cell phone bill and if you have a POTS home phone, check that too. The optional fees are passed on to you/us.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yeah, it's not just DirecTv.

4. Aridon

Aridon Mentor

Mar 12, 2007
    Its a huge cash grab. Fortunately you have options.

You like AT*T or Verizon coverage but don't want to pay a ton? Go to Cricket or Total Wireless. All taxes and fees included. I've got 5 lines for $100 and adding data is simple. No reason to be on post paid anymore. Heck I blew through 130gb roaming in Canada on Cricket without any issues on their unlimited plan. Worked great. We streamed my Directv from my slingbox up there and Plex the entire time.

Don't want to pay a crap ton more for TV? Check out Vue or Sling. All taxes and fees included.

At least we have options and they will only expand over the coming years.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    FCC or regulatory recovery fee, sounds like it should be named "the cost of being in this industry".

n3ntj likes this.
  6. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Standard in a lot of industries - rent a car at an airport and you get a airport facility fee - to pay their rent. Do SirusXM and you get a song royalty fee. Allows all to say - only 39 a month (oops plus 12 in fees). Any required fees should be included in advertised costs so they can't add it afterwords but ....

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Some fees are location based and I can understand having the fee separated from the listed price. If one does not want to pay an airport surcharge one can rent from a location that is not at the airport. Taxes vary from location to location as well. As long as the fee is avoidable or variable I expect it to be separate.

I also expect consumers to read ... if the sign says "as low as $39" don't expect to pay $39.00 exactly. Read the small print and be educated.

A nationwide flat fee such as the one noted in this thread is one I'd rather see rolled in to the regular price since it is not avoidable or variable based on the location where service is provided. But DIRECTV wants to make the point: that particular 67 cents is the fault of government regulation.

Perhaps they should break down their bills more and list "Programming Costs" separate from "Delivery Costs". They could charge a "Customer Service Fee" that would be a line item that would support the call centers. But some things are best rolled in to package prices where customers do not see them and complain less. The "CEO Compensation Fee" would not be very popular. :)

HaterSlayer likes this.
  8. Big6Dad

Big6Dad Mentor

Feb 7, 2007
    Oh I get all of this, my point was that I think it was pretty pitiful that they announced that they were going to send me a bill for 67 cents a day after they said they were raising my rates $6 a month.
    And the way it is worded is that it's a one time fee....

9. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    And as noted in the OP, the part I especially 'like' is, "we aren't required to collect this, but we can, so we are."

10. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Coming soon, a fee to breath if you have a cable box in the room.

11. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    And a different one to breath if you don't.
    Now if you eliminated companies being able to pay for elections and pay members of Congress, etc. maybe you could get laws that would require no fees other than what is included in published price. You'll still pay but not surprised