DBSTalk Forum banner

Enter channel using number keys...nothing happens

2K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  sigma1914 
#1 ·
I'll check out a similar thread in a moment, but with the Genie I will enter say, 244 for Syfy channel, and nothing happens. It stays on the channel I'm on. Sometimes it will work on the second try, sometimes the third, and rarely I will have to bring up the guide and scroll to the channel to change it.

Common problem?

#7 ·
Have you tried hitting enter (the button on the bottom right corner) after the numbers?

For example 2 4 4 Enter.

#8 ·
Have you tried resetting the receiver…?

#11 ·
I found a funny way for better remote response, try changing channels(using the ch buttons)repeatedly in quick motion, then go to the guide and browse throughout in a fast motion also(if you have scrolling effects off) Then try pressing your numbers to see how it respond. You can also try clearing the nvram via ch 1 pressing the red,red,blue,blue,yellow green buttons in that order and in fairly quick presses, and it will show a NVRAM cleared message in white text at the bottom of the screen.

#13 ·
Yikes, so many questions. It's NOT the batteries, I just got Directv less than a week ago, plus it does it with the directv remote and my Logitech Universal remote.

As it happens I had to reset the genie because I went to "Now Showing" last night, chose a program, selected it, the screen showing program details came up but it was blank, and the menu froze (nice), so I had to reset to clear it. Ah, technology...

P.S. It still does the no channel change thing too. Learning to live with it.

#15 ·
dishinitout;3208552 said:
Why does turning off native always seem to be brought up as a fix to something completely in related?!
Because if native is on it will change to different TV resolutions making for a longer delay in seeing picture when changing channels, That's why is always best to have native off and have 720p and 1080i checked in TV resolution under display in the settings menu.

#16 ·
acostapimps said:
Because if native is on it will change to different TV resolutions making for a longer delay in seeing picture when changing channels, That's why is always best to have native off and have 720p and 1080i checked in TV resolution under display in the settings menu.
Slower channel changes ≠ receiver not accepting manual channel input.

And no, having native set to "off" is not always best. Many televisions do a better job of conversion than the DirecTV receiver does. If it were always the best option to have it off, DirecTV wouldn't give you the option to turn it on.

#17 ·
BLWedge09;3208661 said:
Slower channel changes ? receiver not accepting manual channel input.

And no, having native set to "off" is not always best. Many televisions do a better job of conversion than the DirecTV receiver does. If it were always the best option to have it off, DirecTV wouldn't give you the option to turn it on.
Always the best meaning for the inpatient ones:)

#18 ·
I have had my HR34 for about a year now and this failure to change the channel has been a problem all along. The receiver is definitely getting the signal (I use RF) because the info banner will show the numbers I entered and the info for the new channel but does not change to the new channel and the info banner goes away and everything is as if no commands had been entered. Repeating the channel change command usually does it with only an occasional need to repeat it a third time. I also have just learned to live with it. Note that this problem is only occasional and therefor not that annoying.

#20 ·
dpeters11;3208678 said:
If you're using the DirecTV remote, have you tried disabling the model ID? Hold Mute and select until the light flashes twice, then enter 963, 2 more flashes, then channel down for two final flashes.
That only works temporarily then it gets sluggish again, same way with clearing the nvram cache on ch 1, But just in case anybody wants to try it just press the red,red,blue,blue,yellow,green buttons in that order and in fairly quick presses until you see a nvram cleared message in white text at the bottom of the screen.

#21 ·
bflora said:
I have had my HR34 for about a year now and this failure to change the channel has been a problem all along. The receiver is definitely getting the signal (I use RF) because the info banner will show the numbers I entered and the info for the new channel but does not change to the new channel and the info banner goes away and everything is as if no commands had been entered. Repeating the channel change command usually does it with only an occasional need to repeat it a third time. I also have just learned to live with it. Note that this problem is only occasional and therefor not that annoying.
Right, this is exactly how I could have worded my post if I were to write it again.

Also, Native is OFF. As for checking 720p and 1080i, I find if I give the receiver the option of choosing it will choose 720p on those stations, but if I only have 1080i checked, it will always upconvert, so I only have 1080i checked.

#22 ·
acostapimps;3208765 said:
That only works temporarily then it gets sluggish again, same way with clearing the nvram cache on ch 1, But just in case anybody wants to try it just press the red,red,blue,blue,yellow,green buttons in that order and in fairly quick presses until you see a nvram cleared message in white text at the bottom of the screen.
Disabling a command from the remote only temporary? First I've heard of that.

#23 ·
Something for you to try.
Instead of typing in the new channel number that you want
or calling up the guide and then scrolling to the channel,

Press the Guide button, then type in the number of the new channel you want to go to. The guide will jump to that channel number.
I do this quite often. Example: I want to go to channel 607 and I am on channel 355. I press the guide button, then type in 607 and the guide jumps me to it. Then I can do whatever it was I came there for.
Pay attention to the guide to see if the channel number is showing up on the screen while you are typing it in.

#24 ·
acostapimps said:
yup, although i wouldn't say always best to have it turned off just if it is slowing your system down you should probably turn it off if on.

#25 ·
jimmie57 said:
Pay attention to the guide to see if the channel number is showing up on the screen while you are typing it in.
Yes, the numbers will show up, even without the guide on screen. That's what's annoying, I'll type in 360, or 356 (to avoid any Fox vs. MSNBC nonsense!) and the numbers show up along with the "info" bar along the top of the screen, but then it disappears and nothing happens.

Anyway, it doesn't happen enough to jump through all the hoops you've all suggested, but thanks!

#26 ·
mystic7 said:
Yes, the numbers will show up, even without the guide on screen. That's what's annoying, I'll type in 360, or 356 (to avoid any Fox vs. MSNBC nonsense!) and the numbers show up along with the "info" bar along the top of the screen, but then it disappears and nothing happens.

Anyway, it doesn't happen enough to jump through all the hoops you've all suggested, but thanks!
Haven't seen you respond, but did you try hitting enter like I posted about back in post #7? Enter is on the bottom right, not the select button in the middle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.