1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entering the 4K world

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by James Long, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:24 AM.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My oldest HDTV died on Saturday night. It lived a long life, over 12 years (ok, stop laughing) but it simply turned itself off and stayed off forever. It was a Philips tube HDTV.

So off I went to the store to buy a simple 4K/UHD TV. I do not intend to watch 4K but small sets are reasonably cheap. I ended up buying a Samsung Smart TV ... unfortunately the first one I brought home had some software bug and after working with online chat tech support I decided to return it instead of waiting for in home service. The replacement works better.

Following the installation instructions (connect everything THEN plug in the TV and set it up) it was very intuitive. HDMI to my DISH Network Hopper, HDMI to my BluRay. An Ethernet cable to a nearby router. The Smart Things app on my cell phone. Power on the set and let the "Smart TV" prove how smart it was.

Connected via HDMI the TV identified the Hopper. It went through a pairing routine that set up IP control of the Hopper from the TV. Which means I can use the TV remote to do nearly everything I'd do with the DISH remote (including guide and recorded programs). But the thing that caught me off guard was how DISH was integrated with the menus. The Home screen on the TV interfaced with programs currently airing via DISH ... as well as showing some DVRd content that was ready to watch.

The old set had one HDMI connection ... the new one has three. With everything OFF when I turn on the Hopper the TV comes on showing DISH content. When I turn on the BluRay the TV comes on showing BluRay content. That is cool. (The TV still needs to be turned off independently.)

The DISH receiver knows the difference between a user pressing the power button and an "autotune" timer, so my normal routine of having the receiver turn on at the beginning of the evening news each night doesn't turn on the TV.

My other HDTVs are not "smart" ... good picture but limited integration. It is nice when something works better than expected.

The best part is that I have "wife approval". She told me that she thought my screen was blurry a couple of hours before the old TV died. She was right ... and she likes the new picture.

bmcleod and jimmie57 like this.
  2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    CRT HiDef TV ? interesting what model it was ? and which model settled by you ?

3. vinhmen

vinhmen Cool Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Sounds like you have only entered the smart TV world, next step is to get 4k service!

4. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm sure I could find a 4K stream on one of those "apps". :)

5. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    And Netflix and Amazon Prime have 4K offerings. Apps are already there, or easily downloaded directly on the TV, same for Youtube.

8. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    Sounds like good integration indeed, ARC/CEC doesn’t always get such high praise, though this sounds like IP based features as well. It also sounds like your Phillips had a long and successful life (for modern standards, some surely remember when they lived for dozens of years—but those were simpler times). Congratulations on a successful outing and install!

Another way to test 4K content is to download files from sites like the one below. I have a USB3 stick with a collection of test files, 4K SDR, 4K HDR10, 4K DV, etc. Many Smart TVs have a USB port and built in video player. This method works for me because I don’t have the bandwidth to stream 4K (especially HDR or DV), but can download them and play them uninterrupted. Good eye candy, some good sound too, and for testing features like HDR. Lots to choose from here.

4K Media | Free Ultra-HD / HDR / HLG / Dolby Vision 4K Video Demos

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:23 AM
  9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Pluto TV (free streaming service) 4K TV channel 439 has content similar to DIRECTV 4K channel 104.

bmcleod likes this.
  10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You might want to go to rtings.com to see how they recommend you set up your new TV: Samsung NU7100 LED TV Calibration Settings

And if bluetooth might be worthwhile, you can try this (I tried this on three Sammy's and it worked on two):

There is a SECRET MENU that MAY unlock the Bluetooth capability of your Samsung Smart TV.
    Here are the instructions:
    • Step 1: While your TV set is turned off, press the following on your Samsung remote control quickly and in this sequence — MUTE button, 1, 8, 2, and then the POWER button.
    • Step 2: When the SECRET MENU appears, use your ARROWS, SELECT, and RETURN buttons to navigate.
    • Step 3: While in the SECRET MENU Select OPTIONS
    • Step 4: Select ENGINEERING OPTION
    • Step 5: Select BT AUDIO ON OFF and make sure it says ON.
    • Step 6: Use the RETURN button on your remote to go back a level on the SECRET MENU and select MRT OPTION.
    • Step 7: Select BT SUPPORT and make sure it says ON
    Now TURN OFF of your TV and turn it ON again, give it a minute, select MENU on your remote control, then SOUND, then SPEAKER SETTINGS, and now you will see the BLUETOOTH Option.

Note: On the Samsung Smart TV that this didn't work, the new Bluetooth option was there, but it didn't work.

And there are a lot of pages under this smart menu. I'd be very careful in what anyone tries to change.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Would bluetooth be useful for anything other than audio? (Presumably wireless headphones?)

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Wireless headphones and at times, wireless speaker I've used on my patio.

And while I've never tried it, I believe you can use a Bluetooth keyboard.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The receiver itself (Hopper) has bluetooth for audio if I need it. I am a little gun shy about hidden advanced menus. I used one on the old set to fix the overscan (the image was larger than the screen and I was losing the edges including tickers). So far I have not found anything I want to adjust. If I do I'll start in the non-hidden menus. Thanks for the link ... it is good to see that a hidden menu exists.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's why I keep buying Samsung TVs. Works well out of the box, every time.

Where did you find the 7100? I'm getting ready to buy a 50" 4K set and all I can find are Series 6 Samsungs in Costco and other stores.

Rich

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I found the 7100 on Amazon but I see only Series 6 sets after that. Just found an 8000 at Best Buy but it only has a refresh rate of 120...how can that be?

Rich

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 12:12 PM
  16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Both our Sam's and BJ's have a few models of the 7100. 65 &75" though.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    does those support a hidden menu with BT settings ?

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I don't know. We don't have one of those.

We have 4 Samsungs; 3 different models. 1 had BT (paid an entra $50 for that). Of the 3 that didn't have BT 'advertised', we were able to turn on BT for 2 (same 6200 models). The 1 that BT didn't work is our oldest Samsung (2013 model). I enjoy using BT headsets on British shows. Easier for me to understand the accents.

19. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't understand why they don't just turn BT support on without having to go through some hidden menu?

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not sure why it isn't turned on or why the don't even advertise that the TV has BT. I found out from the www.rtings.com website when they posted this: