1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EPG Errors?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Paul Secic, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Yesterday the EPG said NCLS was on KTVU at 1PM. But an infomercial was. I never saw the game. KTVU is owned by COX. I thought FOX pulled the game somehow.. Anyone else had problems with this? STRANGE!!!!!

2. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    What is STRANGE is hijacking the thread with something unrelated to the thread. :rolleyes:

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Well first, it's the NLCS, not the NCLS. Second, the game time was dependent on how the ALCS (not ACLS) game 6 turned out. Had NY won game 6, then SF/PHILLY would have been an afternoon game & NY/TX would have had the night time slot on TBS. Since the ALCS (not ACLS) ended, the NLCS (not NCLS) got the night time slot of Fox.

:lol:

4. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Since they only had a few hours to fix the guide I suppose they get a pass......:icon_stup......this time.......!pepsi!

:icon_band

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    And for all guide's content issues - call ROVI, a company who own the guide data.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Tribune Media Services?

7. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    The correct first pitch time was in our morning paper and the EPG never reflected a change, at least not my EPG. Usually those changes get made pretty quickly. If I was a conspiracy kind of guy I might suspect that since this was a Fox channel maybe a little hanky-panky going on? Probably not. :rolleyes:

8. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I did notice the sunday night guide info still listed the NLCS game on all of my fox stations, and I DID do an update. However, the program guide on my TVs digital tuner was correct, I think it pulls guide data from TVGUIDE somehow.....via internet?!? and not from Tribune.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A TV set would get the guide OTA from the station itself. The receiver guide comes via satellite and has the TMS copyright on it. I've seen it updated on short notice for presidential speeches before ... so it is possible to change it.

If the change in the data DISH is forwarding is made before the nightly reboot/update it will show up in the guide all day long. If the change is made after the nightly update the receiver EPG will not immediately change. The change will be visible one show before (when the changed event is the next event in the EPG) or if the EPG is reloaded. The "present/next" EPG overwrites the overnight loaded EPG but only contains content for what is on now and next for each channel.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Been in touch with ROVI as a company collecting guide data and distributing to sat and cable, perhaps thru TMS (?).

11. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I thought it was by Zap2it. But they are probably all the same company anyway. :rolleyes:

Who is ROVI? Do you have a number, email or web site for them?

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Zap2It is a company Owned by Tribune which collects the Guide Data and perhaps ROVI is associated with Zap2It.

13. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Then there is TMS-LA Feedback [listings@zap2it.com], who replied to my complaint to Zap2it. :confused:

14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    ROVI is the company that does TVGOS (at least the digital version).

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    and provide data [guide] to sat/cable/etc companies.

16. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Do you think that they provide that info to Dish?

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Perhaps ... the copyright on the data is Tribune Media Services.

There is a TV Guide logo on the EPG screen. If I recall correctly that was put there as part of a settlement over providing an EPG (the TV Guide channel appeared at the same time). I though that was the end of the deal. Acknowledging the company who held the patent on the EPG, but not necessarily using them as a source of data.

So while ROVI may own the company that now owns the patent, I'm not sure how they are related to Tribune Media services, if they are. I had not heard of "ROVI" until this thread. I've been hearing of TMS for years.

18. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
  19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The only connection I see there to DISH Network is using a device with TVGuide OnScreen Services with a DISH Network receiver. Not any claim that they provide data to DISH.

20. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005