EPG Weirdness - change in provider?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Blowgun, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Aug 6, 2016 #1 of 116
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Something that I've never seen happen with the EPG began over a week ago when I first looked at the descriptions for the two back-to-back new episodes of Dual Survival that were schedule to record this past week. The first new episode had a description and a title, but the second new episode did not have a description and the title read, "Ep104: Episode 1".

After the two new episodes were recorded this week, I watched the first recording and because of the end-padding the first recording had the first 3 minutes of the second new episode. When I happened to check the INFO during those last 3 minutes of the first recording the second episode now had a description and the title had changed to, "Ep104: Ultimate Survival Bible" -- aside from the episode number, the title is correct. That's not unusual by itself because the receiver can receive last minute EPG updates and I figured the second episode was updated to have a description and title.

After watching the first recording, I started playback of the second recording and discovered that the second episode no longer had a description and the title was back to what it was originally. The description and the correct title for the second episode was only there during the last 3 minutes of the first recording and nowhere else. Anyone else encountered EPG weirdness like this before?

2. Aug 7, 2016 #2 of 116
    FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    Welcome to the wonderful world of DISH. The EPG and proper labeling, information and times have been a problem forever, I want to say decades. I have filed many trouble tickets, with proof and nothing.

3. Aug 8, 2016 #3 of 116
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Isn't it more what the receiver did with the information than the information itself being wrong?

4. Feb 1, 2017 #4 of 116
    BobCulp

BobCulp Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Colorado...
    259 says INSP & the programming is for Inspiration Network. The guide today is showing a complete schedule for another programmer.
    I hope INSP stays and guide is corrected.

5. Feb 1, 2017 #5 of 116
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    259's EPG looks like "Inspiration TV" but off by two hours.
    https://ini.tv/schedule/

Perhaps someone fat fingered the channel name at Gracenote/Tribune Media Services?

6. Feb 2, 2017 #6 of 116
    BobCulp

BobCulp Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Colorado...
    Inspiration TV is back on guide at the current hour, so we might need to wait for tonight's guide update.

7. Feb 2, 2017 #7 of 116
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  8. Feb 2, 2017 #8 of 116
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Over the past couple of weeks I've called DISH twice to let them know that they are using the wrong tiles for KTVU, a CBS affiliate. First they show a KTUU tile at 5pm, which is a NBC affiliate and then at 7pm they show a tile for a unknown CW affiliate. So, according to DISH the CBS station is a NBC affiliate at 5pm and a CW affiliate at 7pm.

Sprinkled throughout the rest of the 24-hour news cycle there are some correct tiles. The rest are generic CBS tiles with a black background and some with a gray background, all have a blue CBS font.

Keep in mind that a couple of weeks ago everything was correct.

Fat fingers? More like sloppy fingers stuck in their ears. :)

9. Feb 6, 2017 #9 of 116
    jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    Has Dish recently changed their EPG data provider? Over the past few weeks on my VIP722, I've noticed two changes:

1. Almost all of the program descriptions start with a dash ("-") for some reason.

2. They no longer fit -- so most of them start with a description and cut off with "..." at the end.

They used to always be properly formatted and not cut off. Now some of them have become fairly worthless to me (since they tend to cut off before any plot point if I'm trying to read what the episode is about to see if I've seen it before).

Any recent change that caused this? Are others seeing it? Is it specific to my model of receiver by chance?

Thanks!

- John...

10. Feb 6, 2017 #10 of 116
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No change in source - but the information does seem to be getting longer to work better with the Hopper/Joey EPG displays.

11. Feb 7, 2017 #11 of 116
    Dax

Dax AllStar

May 15, 2004
    Kentucky
    Yes, I have that junky ViP612 that I had to take when they forced me to retire my 510. It's bad enough that the EPG is inaccurate for anything that doesn't start or end on a 5 minute mark, and in some cases programs are missing from the guide because they can't get this right. But in the past 3 weeks or so, I see that what used to be informative descriptions are now a synopsis that often gets cut off before you have any idea what the program is about.

12. Feb 7, 2017 #12 of 116
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I'm also seeing the same thing in the EPG. One description I read just had the dash. But yeah, a lot of them the description is getting truncated with Ellipsis.

Grampa67 likes this.
  13. Feb 11, 2017 #13 of 116
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    It depends on the channel. In the case of Ch.261 EWTN the descriptions have become shorter, and episode details have been dropped for generic program descriptions. This made a timer I had useless since it was set to "new events only". The generic description causes me to miss programs I wanted recorded ("Dr. Ray"). Also there are some strange substitutions where whole programs have the wrong name and description. This was not just a one time preemption either, a program that has been on at the same time every day has been changed in the guide while the original program is still airing.

Who can I contact to get the guide fixed?

14. Feb 11, 2017 #14 of 116
    JS_racer

JS_racer Cool Member

Aug 25, 2007
    here are some examples. this could be bad !! Hopper 3 here.
    look at supercross tonight, 151, look at program info, summary, new or not, things like that. there is nothing other than summary. doesn't say new, or original air date, no information.
    try setting a recording, to record series, doesn't work, recording not set. can only record this 1 event. then go to next saturday the 18th channel 150, like 9pm. same supercross title. same problems.
    not good !!
    had a seek timer for motorcycle racing or something, worked great for the first few supercross races, broken now

Impractical jokers season 6 is in spanish for description. The one airing after is English, 2 different timers the 230 set to skip, 2pm was not to record or skip. Wtf, sigh....
    Example sunday channel 242 at 2pm cst. Missed the season premier because the information is incorrect,
    Next new one is Thursday, 9pm, no information in episodes for Spanish one, tons of episodes in the other one.

Tmz seems to be renamed on the hopper 3,
    The timer for 630 only sees the weekend show, a new timer sees the 1hr show earlier in the afternoon. 30 minutes is enough tmz for us, lol
    then there is the manual timer show folder problem, icon shows 2, go into the folder, it lists 1, back out and play folder, delete after watching, shows the other after then.

15. Feb 11, 2017 #15 of 116
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    All along it has been Tribune, from the very beginning. Older programs and movies, the description tends to fit on one screen. But, newer shows and movies, they are dumping the entire plot summary. It is harder to see on the Hopper series, because they use a smaller type face. It si almost easier going to Titan TV, set up a DISH channel group and read it there.

16. Feb 11, 2017 #16 of 116
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Unfortunately I do not have any working contacts. If I did, I'd fix the entire channel problems in my market.

buist likes this.
  17. Feb 12, 2017 #17 of 116
    jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah, my main concern was the cut-off stuff. And I thought maybe the dash at the start was a bug or something.

What seems interesting to me is that the STYLE of them seems to have changed too. So, that is why I wondered if the entire source had changed possibly.

Before, it seemed to be more specific to the show -- written for people that have SEEN it before. So, just as a crazy example that I'm making up to get the point across only, a description for "The 70s Show" in the past would be something like "Eric and Donna trick Hyde into thinking he won the lottery." But, with the NEW style, I would expect that same show to be something like "Zany kids living in Indiana in the 70s hang out in a basement. They try to trick their friend..."

It's like they've changed the style to try to give a more general description first before getting to the details. But, of course, now that means it doesn't fit. So you end up learning nothing about the actual episode any more. :(

- John...

18. Feb 13, 2017 #18 of 116
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    The program description for "Miss Congeniality" on USA 105 Saturday evening 2/11 was in Spanish too.

What in the world is going on at Tribune's EPG department? I hope they know that bad data makes for missed DVR timers. It almost seems malicious.

19. Feb 13, 2017 #19 of 116
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    How about a member of the DIRT Team? Do they read every thread, or do we have to flag a comment to get their attention? This is getting serious, I've had numerous timers fail for lack of proper episode information.

20. Feb 13, 2017 #20 of 116
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    If tvschedule.zap2it.com, DirecTV, FiOS and Optimum don't have the same issue, it probably isn't on Tribune/Gracenote's end of things.

I checked the other two major listings providers Rovi/TiVO and FYI Television, just in case Dish quietly switched listings providers without any of us knowing, they don't have any of the issues you describe either.