EPG with OTA channels

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by smithduluth, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smithduluth

smithduluth Cool Member

Nov 21, 2005
    I installed an MT2 module in my 222k receiver 3 weeks ago and had no EPG available, all channels said "Digital Service" which I assumed was normal as I do not subscribe to "locals". Today however I noticed that all the primary OTA channels for the first time have EPG information. Firmware has not changed, still L398. ???:scratch:

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    EPG does not come from firmware ... DISH has a special flag linking the locals via sat channel to their OTA equivalent (as well as subchannels fed by a special data stream).

There is a list of all the EPGs that DISH is attempting to provide on my website:
    http://uplink.jameslong.name/locallist.html

If the station is not in that list you won't see EPG in your guide. DISH receivers do not use the OTA PSIP EPG information. The guide all comes from satellite.

3. jscudder

jscudder Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    It has been a long while since any new OTA channels have been added. Over a month ago I sent them an email about a new-subchannel in the Portland ME DMA that said 'Digital Service'. I also told one of the DIRT members about it. So far nothing. In the past they had been pretty good about adding sub-channel EPG information.

4. smithduluth

smithduluth Cool Member

Nov 21, 2005
    I did not expect the EPG data which is always being updated to come from firmware, however firmware could certainly determine whether or not guide information on the OTA channels is to be displayed and until yesterday it was not.

5. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Maybe that's the reason for this thread?.;)

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=156413

6. Jul 3, 2011 #6 of 21
    tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    I have a VIP722 and AT120 programming with no locals, saves $5 a month but no longer available for new customers or those who change packages. I have an antenna hooked up to the connector on the VIP 722. Up until about June 29th my guide has always said "Digital Service" I noticed by accident I now have program guide for the Primary locals. I'm hoping Dish just decided to give it to the few that maybe still eligible for the old package.

7. Jul 4, 2011 #7 of 21
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    It may take a day or two for the EPG to download, although it should download with the first connection to the sat service after firmware update.

8. tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    SMITHDALUTH I lost the OTA guide a couple of days ago. Now getting "digital Service" across the guide again. Are you still getting the OTA guide?

9. smithduluth

smithduluth Cool Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Nope it's gone... I guess they were just teasing us...:confused:

10. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Hey, love your avatar as I am a born and raised Duluthian who now 'lives' in California. Sis still lives on the point. TV reception OTA there is perfect with almost no antenna.
    I use that Northern Images pic as my desktop wallpaper.
    Homesick every time I see your post...........:grin:

11. Gio

Gio New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    I lost mine OTA EPG also.

12. Food Lion Man

Food Lion Man Mentor

Dec 13, 2007
    Outside of...
    James, what do I need to do to get my subchannels from Charlotte, NC and Greensboro, NC to show a EPG? The engineers at the TV stations are saying it's a problem with Dish Network? I have been trying to get an answer now for months. Can you please help? Thanks!

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    It depends if you have a DVR or non-DVR reciever. Non-DVR - no OTA EPG FOR SUBCHANNELS. It works for the main channel.

If you have DVR (VIP x22, Hopper) - you should get an EPG for the subchannels.

I'm in the Raleigh market and that's what I get.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The first step is to get DISH to uplink the EPG for the subchannel. If the data is not transmitted there is no way that it will be received. DISH currently has 1036 EPG only channels for subchannels (in addition to the EPG for the channels delivered via satellite). The local station may be able to get their EPG added ... but it may be something that waits until the next contract renewal.

I wish DISH would provide EPG for every channel - even if it was an internet only feature (to save satellite space). Even though DISH does not transmit audio and video for those 1036 EPG channels they take up space in the EPG table (currently 5833 channels in the EPG table).

15. Food Lion Man

Food Lion Man Mentor

Dec 13, 2007
    Outside of...
    I have the Hopper with DVR. Here's what's currently missing for Charlotte DMA #22:
    3-3 GRIT TV-EPG says "GRIT" with no program info
    18-2 ANTENNA TV-EPG says "WCCB" with no program info
    18-4 QVC-EPG says "WCCB" with no program info
    36-3 DECADES-EPG says "WCNC" with no program info
    46-3 HERO'S & ICONS-EPG says "HERO" with no program info
    46-4 ION TV-EPG says "ION" with no program info
    64-2 GET TV-EPG says "getT" with no program info
    64-3 ESCAPE-EPG says "Esca" with no program info

Here's what's missing for Greensboro DMA #46:
    8-2 ANTENNA TV-EPG says "TV8" with no program info
    8-3 THIS TV-EPG says "THIS" with no program info
    20-2 ESCAPE-EPG says "WCWG" with no program info
    20-3 LAFF TV-EPG says "WCWG" with no program info
    20-4 BOUNCE TV-EPG says "WCWG" with no program info
    45-4 GRIT TV-EPG says "GRIT" with no program info
    48-2 GET TV-EPG says "WMYV" with no program info
    48-3 COMET TV-EPG says "COME" with no program info

James, can you escalate this to the personnel at Dish to attempt to get this updated? I would be most appreciative. Thanks for your time!!

16. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    DISH is not adding any additional subchannels at this time and hasn't for several years so its not likely that they will be adding yours any time soon.

17. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    The only subchannels I would see Dish adding would be a case where the market is short a "big network" that is available on a subchannel .

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    In that case, DISH would probably be adding the channel via satellite.
    Which doesn't mean they would get the OTA EPG right ...
    In my market the Fox station sold their affiliation to the CBS station. Fox became "22.2" over the air (replacing 22.2 and 22.3 channels) and DISH continued to carry the feed as channel 28 on DISH receivers. People watching OTA "22.2" get no EPG data. People watching OTA "28.1" get the Fox 22.2 EPG (not the correct EPG for the content transmitted OTA). The change of one flag in the SDT would associate the EPG with the correct OTA channel. DISH has not made that change.

DISH's primary goal is to get the EPG right on the channels carried via satellite. Providing the correct EPG for subchannels not carried on satellite has no priority. I can't remember the last time one was added other than for the Tribune Stations dispute where DISH decided to provide EPG for the OTA stations while the via satellite stations were pulled from the system. Prior to that dispute when the via satellite station was pulled the OTA guide was rendered useless. It was a rare circumstance that I do not believe has been repeated.

I couldn't get DISH to fix my market a few years ago ... I can't get dish to fix 22.2 now. I can keep paying my bill. The current number of OTA only subchannels DISH has right in my market (3) is lower than the number that they have wrong/missing (8). Yep, no super powers. Sorry.

19. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    On the NW OR/SW WA Coast we have several translators from Portland stations. Some new diginets now have the guide like Decades, but none for COZI (FETV) or Laff, that Dish carries. Which is strange. Here we have:

2.1 KATU ABC
    2.2 METV
    2.3 Comet (No guide)
    6.1 KOIN CBS
    6.2 Get TV
    6.3 Decades
    8.1 KGW NBC
    8.2 Justice TV
    8.3 Estrella TV (No guide)
    10.1 KOPB PBS
    10.2 OPB+ PBS
    10.3 OPB Radio
    12.1 KPTV Fox
    12.2 COZI (No Guide)
    12.3 Laff TV (No Guide)

Come the 23rd OPB (10.4) will have PBS Kids. I wonder if Dish will add that? All of the OTA stations do offer an OTA guide, but it only goes out to a maximum of 24 hours, depending on what TV & tuner. I do wish there was a way for Dish to have all of the EPG's for OTA channels. I do use a 500G HHD with the 211K.

20. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I suggest this:

http://titantv.com

There are channels, in Denver, which do not send out an EPG, but do have listings in TitanTV. While not an ideal solution, you at least know when something is on, and can do a manual recording, if need be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.