Equipment return question.....First visit to the site in a LLOOOONNNGGG TIME!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JAYPB, Mar 4, 2020.

1. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    Hi all

Haven't posted to the site since late 2014. Member since 2002....

Quick question on how AT&T/DirecTV now handle equipment returns. I dropped off an HR44-500 along with a video bridge and 3 clients on 2/17/2020 at a local UPS Store (as instructed) as I wanted them removed from my account due to lack of use. I still have 5 HD DVR's active on my account so I'm not canceling my service.

I have the equipment return receipt showing my Return Reference #. I haven't seen any e-mail correspondence or any reference to my return on the DirecTV website so I decided to reach out for an update. I called to ask about the status of my return and just spent 20 minutes on the phone with a DirecTV rep who could provide me with NO information on my returns. Painful phone call.

My question is: How long does it take for the return to "hit" my account? Sure seems like their customer service has gone down based on my phone call. When I called 2 weeks ago I was surprised to hear they no longer sent you a label or equipment return box- I was instructed to go to a UPS store for the return.

I won't even mention that the protection plan replacement remote I requested when I called in over 2 weeks ago to initiate the return hasn't arrived....and I was told tonight when I asked about it that the replacement order wasn't showing up in their system and it was never placed...... :mad:

Appreciate any info- the chat option wasn't available on their website and I see they no longer have an e-mail portal to complain through !??!

Thanks!

Dishdude714 likes this.
  2. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I got a new remote recently with the protection plan. I didn't have any issues and got the new remote in 2 days. I would tell them to create a new order and send a new remote to you. You might get lucky and that person might actually send you one. I wouldn't bet on it though.

About 6 monts ago they promised me a label and an equipment return box to return a client that was replaced and I never got it. After about 5 calls and a call from the Office of the President, AT&T...not USA :D, they finally said they only send out labels and/or a return box to people that are canceling. Not for active customers returning equipment. They really want you to return the to a UPS or FedEX store which was not an option for me unless I wanted to drive about 50 mails so they relented and sent me a USPS label. Once I mailed it off it took about 4 weeks before I got an email from AT&T stating that they had received the receiver back.

I never have luck with anything to do with my account via att.coma nd web browser. Everything seems to work better via the myATT app on my phone.

The do have a chat option on their website. Are you saying that it wasn't working or you couldn't find it? The easiest way to find it is to click the support link. It is pretty easy to find after that.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    If you have the return receipt you should have the UPS tracking number. Use that tracking number to go on the UPS site and make sure the equipment was returned and received. Save that shipping receipt confirmation info. You might need it.

Rich and Dishdude714 like this.
  4. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    The equipment receipt only shows a return reference number- no UPS tracking info. Gentleman made me open the nicely sealed box I brought in so he could inspect/scan with his handheld scanner every item in the box and the receipt shows the serial #'s and model #'s of each item. He said that they don't make a shipping label right then and there so he couldn't give me a tracking #, they box it up later and send the items back- believe he might have ever said something along the lines of "when we have enough of them we send them back all at once".

Sure was a departure from my recollection of how things were done in the past with returns. When I gave him my address/phone # he pulled up my account on his computer right there in the UPS Store. People behind me who went there to actually SHIP OUT packages weren't too happy that this guy was OPENING my box to scan/inspect what I had put in there- took about 10 minutes.

Welcome to 2020.... :rolleyes:

5. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    If that is the current process then your receipt from UPS is proof of receipt by AT&T. In the process as you have described UPS is acting as an agent on behalf of AT&T and receipt by UPS is equivalent to receipt by AT&T. Just hold onto that receipt as proof that you in fact did give your equipment to AT&T (UPS).

Dishdude714 and jimmie57 like this.
  6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've sent several HRs back since ATT took over. Never one notice about the returns but no problems. Just the way they do business, I guess. I do take mine to a UPS store and I keep all the paperwork. I gave up on closing the boxes, they are gonna look into them every time you bring one in. I've never sent a remote or any other stuff back other than the HR itself.

Rich

7. LTYRS

LTYRS Member

Sep 23, 2019
    I returned a HR44 with a bad hard drive after getting a replacement to the UPS store and the procedure was exactly as you described no tracking number, did it get there? I have no idea.

242424 likes this.
  8. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I remember returning a C41-100 defective client. I went to a UPS location and returned it using a return label. I saw a charge on my bill for $45 dollars. ( Possibly two weeks after returning the client ) One billing cycle passed and the charge was removed. I think they must have some kind of window provisioned in their system that automatically charges you for the equipment if they don't get it back in that time frame. They got us beat at their game.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You did call and have them turned off on your account before you returned them I hope. After that there isn’t anything to look for that I am aware of.