1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment upgrade question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by D¢1994, Aug 28, 2018.

1. D¢1994

D¢1994 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Yes as you can see by my username I have been continuously with Directv since 1994, I've seen a lot of changes and this switch to ATT has been unpleasant. I am a rural customer who can access off air from at least three markets, my household viewing habits are such that off air in the guide and being recordable to my DVR is important to me. So many sub-channels exist off air is at an all time best in my opinion. Please excuse the long post but I have a a lot to share to get the advise I am looking for.

I am off contract and way overdue for a rate negotiation and equipment upgrade. I have also strongly considered cutting the cord and going streaming and adding a TIVO...but my only ISP option is a WISPA and only somewhat reliable at times and at only 10mb speed. So a move to streaming would likely be a bad move until the technology improves in my area (if ever).

My current equipment is (1) HR34-700, (1) HR23-700, (1) HR20-100 and one wireless client. I have (2) AM-21 off air tuners connected to the HR34 and HR23...as earlier stated off air is important to me. I want to upgrade to an HR54, an HR24 and 2 clients. I know the AM-21s are no longer sold or supported but currently both mine work as new.

This morning I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with retention, the rep I had was pleasant but honestly clueless in helping me get what I want. I big concern is if I order the upgrade, will my two AM-21s be recognized by the upgraded receivers and will the guides then populate and everything work as I hope it will? Again, the gal I had was quite pleasant but clueless, she pulled a tech on the line and honestly he was just as clueless, without checking with others he could not tell me if it would work. I also ask him about the allegedly newly available "Local Channel Connector", he was aware of it but again pretty clueless. If you haven't heard about the new LCC click on this link https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/co.../UVEP-100083172-DTV-Local-Connector-Guide.pdf if the link doesn't work Google Directv Local Channel Connector and quite a bit of info will come up.

Anyway, after about 30 minutes on the phone with retention and tech support the line suddenly fuzzed out and we disconnected. Both retention and tech confirmed my call back in case we got disconnected but that has been a few hours ago and no one has called back.

If anyone has experience with what I am trying to accomplish please post your experience. I want to order the upgrade and start the negotiation for a better deal too, needless to say its been so long since I called them my monthly cost is more than I should be paying.

In closing I will add that I was annoyed when ATT killed off my old 5 digit account number several months ago, I was sort of proud of that old 29XXX account number I had. Thanks for your patience with this long post...i look forward to reading experiences other may have had.

2. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    If you want to use your AM21 it should work with everything except the HS17 For the Genie's it will work with the HR44 and HR54. Unless you want 4K take the HR44. These are to replace the HR34.

I would take the HR24's for the other HR replacements. I have an AM21 connected to my HR24. I never did try it with my HR44, but others have it working. I don't know anything about the wireless clients.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Did they have anything to offer you? As reubenray said, your AM21s will work with the HR44 or HR54, but not with the HS17 (aka 'Genie 2'). No matter what they say, they will not work with the HS17.

Unless you need wireless, I'd go with a newer Genie (probably HR54) and then HD DVRs. While there was a time when they were replacing all HR34s if you asked, not sure what they are doing now (other than pushing the HS17 and all wireless clients). Same with your other DVRs; not sure if they will replace them if they are still working.

4. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Has your account been transferred from directv.com to att.com? If so I'd be interested in what kind of deal you get. I tried for over 3 hours yesterday to get them to swap my HR44 to the HR54 at no charge and they insist on me paying $199.00. I declined their offer and told them I would look elsewhere for my 4K content. Didn't seem to bother them a bit.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Is it possible that you recently got some of the really good $$ off your bill ? Those do affect whether you get free hardware or not, sometimes.
    Getting the deals $$ and new hardware together is the best you can get.
    Also, playing CSR roulette works sometimes. ( Each of them will tell you something different ).

6. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Yes I got $50 per month off for 12 months recently and they didn't tie me into a new contract so in theory that shouldn't matter as I am still out of contract. AT&T may see if differently but they aren't getting my $199.00. o_O

7. D¢1994

D¢1994 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks for the replies, as long as my post was I did not tell the whole story. As I said I am long overdue for the upgrade, my HR20 has been inop probably for a year or more and I've been paying the charge every month for an inop receiver...shame on me but I've been dreading the dance with them so I put it off. It had been about 5 years since even called them and that's when got the 34 and had them set me up with whole home. The 34 has been bad buggy but nothing a reboot wouldn't solve for a while. My wife has been fussing over the bill being up by about a third in that time with only the Xtra package plus all the little bumps they add.

In yesterdays mail we received a mailer to return our HR34...we hadn't talked to them at all much less did anything to generate this...so I decided it was time to call. 1st the CSR I talked to said nothing in my record said anything about the return package so she said toss it and disregard...I instructed her to note it in my record. Then I proceeded to do the upgrade dance...she looked and she looked finally responding that what I wanted to do would cost $399.00, I nearly jumped through the phone, I calmed a bit and said well after 24 years it must be time to move on, I thought that by having the Protection plan that gave me an equipment upgrade every two years, not to mention the 24 years I have been a continuous customer. I said I would be doing my homework and would be getting back to them soon. She was sheepish and apologetic, I said thanks and hung up. That call was not to retention it was to the regular number ending in 5000.

Today my calls were to the retention number...as per my earlier post it ended in disconnect. After a few more calls today I got thru to a CSR in tech support who knew what she was doing, she assured me all the equipment would work as I want it too and given my loyalty (24 years-she had never known of any customer to be with them that long) she assured me it would cost me nothing. The final fly in the ointment was that the rep last night had started an order for me in the system that had to be cancelled before a new one could be entered...it sounded like it was going to take an act of congress to get that done but she would get back to me.

So when she calls me back I am going to have her hold the order in the system, then I will call retention and do the discount dance to square things back up for a couple years and then get the upgrade scheduled...I really dislike corporate america and the games they play.

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Go find the letter you received to return the HR34. See exactly what that says. Others upgrading from an HR34 haven't had to return them. If they are contacting you to replace it, you'll probably get an HR44 or HR54 at no costs.

Too bad you didn't call when your other DVR died. With the protection plan, the replacement should have been free. And no contract extension. And that probably would have been an HR24.

So two of four down at $0.00 (hopefully).

9. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Yeah I wouldn't believe a word they say until the order is finalized and your bill is actually $0.00. I've been with them the same amount of time and have also been out of contract for quite a while and they want $199.00 to replace my HR44 with an HR54. I had plenty of agents tell me I was qualified for a free upgrade. Then they tried to place the order and it won't let them place it without the $199.00 charge to me. Spent over 3 hours yesterday on the phone with them.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    When that happens, suggest they charge you the $199 but also give you a corresponding credit (exceeding $199). Often they can't waive the fee (computer system access), but they can give credits.

b4pjoe and jimmie57 like this.
  11. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I may do the upgrade dance when my current discounts run out. I would replace my HR44 with a HR54 plus the C61K for my 4K TV. I would keep my HR24 at my bedroom TV. I hate to even pay the additional $7 a month for the C61K. I absolutely refuse to pay for either the HR54 or C61K to be able to watch what little 4K Directv has.

I have found other options for 4K instead of Directv. I can stream current 4K movies cheaper than Directv using VUDU. But I want to see what Directv has to offer.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You should have just told them the problems you're having with your 44 and asked for a replacement and a truck roll. You might get a 54 without having to go into a new commitment. If you ask for a 54 specifically you're going to get a 4K setup and a two year commitment. If you just tell them you want to swap out the 44 because it doesn't work properly (seems to me you have a good case for that) you might get a 54 with no 4K setup and no commitment...might. Depends on what the installer has on the truck.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You have to have better speeds than that to make streaming worthwhile and better stability from your ISP. From what I've read folks are paying attention to the people that presently don't have access to high speed connections. You might see something better sooner than you'd expect.

Rich

14. D¢1994

D¢1994 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Rich, thanks for your comments and you are spot on in your observations. I incorrectly labeled this an upgrade, it is better defined as an issue that should be covered under my protection plan. My HR20 is dead, inop and my 5 year old HR34 is the workhorse of the house that is on 15-16 hours a day and records during many of those hours. It is buggy and requires reboot at least a couple times a week. Its main issue seems to be output thru the HDMI which is intermittent. A few times a week the picture and sound flash on and off, once it starts, the only solution is a reboot, then it will be good again for a couple days. All in all the old HR23 is the most stable unit in the house but it is the least used as it is in the basement mainly used when I watch sports or we do movie night as it drives a projector to a 100" screen but it is so old I don't remember when i got it...likely 10 plus years ago and it has its occasional hiccups requiring a reboot.

So yes while it would be nice to have a complete refresh, I would settle for a replacement for the HR20, prefer a client in that spot, and a truck roll if they insist on the 34 and replace with an HR44 or 54. I do have 4k sets but will not pay the uptick to D for their very limited 4k content they offer so the 54 is overkill at this point for me. I watch 4k on Amazon and Netflix. I do not like being under contract, it seems we lose leverage when they got us. I don't plan any changes, but if the service and culture at D continues to deteriorate I want the option to bail without cost.

Frankly though I am still totally unresolved, the tech gal who convincingly promised me a call back 24 hrs ago has not called so it appears that after while I will have to get back on the phone and start fresh with someone new.

15. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    My 44 works fine other than it can't do 4K and I wouldn't even mind the 2 year commitment as long as I don't have to pay for the hardware.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All the DVRs you have should be replaced. The 23-700 is one of the worst DVRs D* has ever put out. Then there's the 34. Everyone, even the folks at D*, know what a dud that thing is. To top it off you have a 20-100...I don't know how many 20-100s I've had in my house but I know how many worked...none. You deserve a 54 just for putting up with those dreadful HRs.

I don't know how many times I've been told I'd receive a call back from CSRs. Don't remember ever getting a call from anybody from D* except for Case Management agents. I see nothing's changed.

Rich

17. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    If you have a dead HR20, just call and tell them it's dead and they will send you a new one. If you have the protection plan, it will be free. If you don't, it's $20 for shipping. If they want to troubleshoot with you, just say it's dead and won't power on. Depending on the CSR, they may try to make you jump through some hoops and say it's a bad power cable (I actually had one that wanted to ship a power cable to me one time to troubleshoot). If they head down that road, just tell them you have already tried swapping the power cable from one of your other HR's and it's still dead. Most times, the CSR's are going to be reading from a troubleshooting flowchart. So the faster you get from the "does it power on" to the final "it's dead, replace it" part of the flowchart, the faster you can get off the phone with them. If you say it powers on, but it's buggy or glitchy or had hard drive issues, you are going to head into the part of the flowchart that requires multiple reboots and eventually a "reset all settings" choice on the box. Then they will want you to try that out for a few days to see if the problem still occurs. That's going to be a 30+ minute call. If you say it's dead and won't power on, it should be less than a 10 minute call and you should have a refurb HR24 Fedex'd to you in a couple of days.

For the 34, if it suddenly has a power-supply issue, they are going to replace it with a 44 (just went through that last year at my vacation house). From my experience, they aren't going to want any of the equipment you have back (HR 20,21,22,23,34). Over the past few years, I think I've replaced pretty much every model of HR in my houses less than or equal to a 44 and from what I remember, they only wanted the 44's back. The HR2x's were all replaced with HR24's and the HR34/44's were all replaced with 44's.

Rich likes this.
  18. D¢1994

D¢1994 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks to everyone who posted experiences and suggestions. I am happy to inform everyone that I finally did get resolution to my issues...or I should say it is all scheduled, I have a confirmation number and a confirming email.

After no one called me back from any of my conversations channeled thru all the well known D* phone numbers I decided to try a different approach, I Googled and dug deep for an ATT loyalty/retention number. I found a number, dialed it, after holding for about 10 minutes a gal by the name of Aiyoki who when she announced her name said she was in Las Vegas. She spoke clear and easy to understand English and had obviously worked for the company a long time and had authority to resolve things. She quickly found my record in their system and could see some notes and the partial order started for me in the system. I told her in detail about my conversations with other ATT/D* staff.

She responded with "Wow, on behalf of ATT please accept our apology" and she said "I can assure you when we end this call we will have resolved all your issues". She could evidently see pretty much my complete customer record including all my equipment including the locations in the house which none of those before her could see.

She immediately cancelled the order that was incorrectly started the night of my first call. She then asked and it seemed important..."so help me understand, after that 1st call and the fact that CSR told you replacing those receivers would cost $399 you were about to leave us as a customer", I said yes, that was my response and intent that night but I have been with D* so long and didn't really want to leave so I decided to give it some more time and effort to resolve it.

Bottom line is, my buggy 34 is being replaced with a 44. My dead HR20 is being replaced by a client at my request, the location it is used that works best for me, it will be wireless so I can move it about in the house if/when I want to. That will require a wireless bridge which I do not currently have so they are adding that and installing the bridge requires a truck roll and installer. My HR23 is not inop or having bad issues so for now it is staying. All this is being covered under the protection plan except the wireless bridge truck roll has a $99.00 fee which I gladly accepted. She waived the cost of the bridge as well. So for $99.00 out of pocket I am getting mostly refreshed and updated. I am more than pleased with that outcome.

Last but not least I asked her about a price adjustment, she without hesitation applied a $45.00 per month credit to my account for one year which amounts to about a 30% saving for me. In the end I got everything I needed, a price adjustment and I am still off contract (no new 2 year contract) so if the train runs off the tracks and they need fired I can do so without going out of pocket.

If you ever have the pleasure of speaking to Aiyoki please know you're in good hands, she did all this without checking with a supervisor, she has the authority to do the right thing and she did in my view.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The number you called, was it 800-824-9077? That is the number for the Loyalty Department. It's a direct number usually no waiting. But you had to wait, did you get a different number?

Glad to see you got everything you wanted. You did good.

Rich

20. D¢1994

D¢1994 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Not that number, that one was one which is/was the old D* retention number but everytime I called it they would tell me since my account had been transferred over to ATT my account was being handled by the IC something department, that's where I got the run around a couple days ago. The number that got results was 877-999-1083, it is an ATT retention number.