"Equipment Upgrade" Results

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mbdbstalk, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mbdbstalk

mbdbstalk New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I received an HR22-100 (manuf date 7/2009, with scratches all over the backside by the HDMI and USB connectors) as an "equipment upgrade" from my HR20-700 (6+ years old).

What would you do?

My HR20-700 was too slow navigating the new HD UI, and often takes 10 seconds to delete recordings, and 3-4 seconds to change channels. Would an eSATA drive improve its performance?

Is the HR22-100 up for the challenge, or should I be concerned that this device is now over 2 1/2 years old with scratches all over the back?

Thanks,
    --Mike

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The HR22 is usually slower than the HR20. An eSATA would improve things IF the cause of the slowness was the hard drive (likely with your HR20, but probably not with the HR22).

If you already installed and activated, there is nothing you can do, really. If you havent installed it yet, I would return it, schedule a service call for the HR20 (which will cost you a little bit, but the tech probably has HR24's on his truck you can talk him out of :) ). Otherwise, you could try a large (1.5 or 2TB) eSATA on the HR20. The more free space you have on the drive, the faster the DVR operates. Once it gets to ~20% free, they start slowing down, or so the consensus is.

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Equipment upgrade to you means something other than it does to DIRECTV.

Ordering the same type of equipment to replace another is not an upgrade to DIRECTV.

If you were using the -- method of deleting and now are using the other methods that's how they all react. Even my HR24's are slow to delete now.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Unfortunately cosmetics are not a concern of DirecTV. The scratches on the back panel on replacement receivers seems to be common. Before getting my HR24-500 my HR22-100 was replaced with another HR22-100. The back panel had deep surface scratches. To date there has been no explanation for this.

5. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    There is only one way to "upgrade" to a newer/faster HD-DVR with no scratches...buy (lease) one from a third party seller like solid signal. I wanted to replace my HR20's with HR24's, and this was the only sure way to do it.

:)

6. CockerKingdom

CockerKingdom AllStar

Jan 18, 2010
    Same here, bought my own HR24's. it is the only way.

7. jappleboy

jappleboy AllStar

Apr 2, 2010
    I had my HR34 hooked up about two weeks ago.I turned in a HR22-100 with scratch on the back now i know were it went.

8. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    :lol:

To the OP:
    Well, I've got an HR22-100 and it seems to be pretty fast compared to my HR21s (although it pales in comparison to my H25).

You get a 500GB hard drive and yeah, it's not as fast os an HR24 but it does pretty good for me. :)

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Comparing any HD DVR to a HD unit is going to make the HD seem blazing fast. Even the HR24's are slow in comparison to a H21.

10. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    I recently decided to upgrade my last R10 to another HR2x (currently have 1 HR21-100, 2 HR22-100s and 1 HR24-100) so I called DirecTV to see what they could do for me. They said they'd upgrade me for $49 and told me there was a better than 90% chance (WAG on their part, I'm sure) that I'd receive an HR24 and if I received anything other than that, I should call and arrange to have it sent back.

I also asked if it would be a reconditioned unit and was told DEFINITELY NOT because I was upgrading so I'd receive a new unit in the box....reconditioned units are only sent out as replacements for equipment that has failed :lol: ...they're quite funny, those folks at DirecTV.

Well, being a D* customer since 1999, I knew what I was getting into as all of my HD DVRs except for the original HR21 were purchased by me thru a third party after being guaranteed a credit of $100 upon activation....really should have stuck with that strategy as I am now awaiting a Recovery Kit for the HR21-200 they sent me that has seen better days...even had 2 screws that were only partially screwed in that hold the fan in place.

To their credit though, they immediately credited my account $199 and told me to buy the model of my choice from a third party....my biggest hurdle now will be to actually receive the ever elusive recovery kit so I can send back the unit that I had <10% chance of receiving. :rolleyes:

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I too obtained my HR24 from a third party in order to get the DVR I wanted.
    However, if this unit should ever die, what are the odds that I'd get an HR24 as a replacement?

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It has ben posted on this site that HR24s will be replaced with HR24s (most likely because of the larger HDs and built in DECA).

13. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    True! But, I don't trust DirecTV for this.

I hope my HR24 or HR23 last for some time. If either dies, then I'll upgrade to the HR34. But, then I'll need to go full fledged MRV.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    My HR24-100 died last week. When I called for a replacement I was told they would send out the same model. I received an HR24-500. No complaints from me.

15. 96beretta

96beretta Cool Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Contact the BBB they will resolve any issues associated with D* sending out Old discontinued hardware when you order a "Equipment Upgrade" If you want I can provide you with a phone number to the Presidents Office BBB department of Directv.

Also HR24's do not have larger HD's from what I was told I kept getting "they are functionally equivilant" Yet I can't play pandora on my HR23, but I can on my HR24... I had to go to the BBB to get them to send me a HR24 to upgrade my H23 location, they tried sending me a HR22-100.

The way I see it is if your sending someone a "Free upgrade" and trying to get them to re-sign another 2 years you should really work at getting them to be satisfied and not sending out older hardware than what they already lease. I was disappointed by this and contacted the BBB and within 3 days had a phone call saying my HR24 was special ordered and they were sending out a reclaim ticket for the HR22. Others on the D* forums were trying to tell me to just accept it and live with what they send, but sorry I pay 118 a month and I expect to get the "latest DVR technology" when that's plastered all over everything I read when going through the DVR upgrade process.

I got my HR24-100 a couple of days ago and I'm completely satisfied and happy with what I have, I just wish I did have to go through the BBB to get them to listen to me, but that's their fault.

Maybe if more and more users contact the BBB about this process they will change something to make it possible for you to request a model number and price point them to get people to order the one they want for the features taking into consideration the money they have to spend to get those features, don't make it 100% free and make them pick from the goodie grab bag otherwise their BBB rating will drop further from a D+.

16. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    Thing is, there is no "upgrade" path from an (old) DVR->(new) DVR. They might give you ANOTHER DVR for another room for free or replace an old flaky DVR but I never heard of them offering a 1 for 1 "model upgrade" because it's always been known they "send you what they have."

17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    "Functionally equivalent" means different things to different people. Apparently DirecTV considers the HR20 as functionally equivalent to everything else up to an HR24.

I don't agree with that.

18. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The only function the HR20 can't perform is 3D, other then that it can provide all the functionality of the rest of the HR2X line.

19. Sarcasto

Sarcasto New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Port...
    I went for an equipment upgrade in December and was sent a scratched and dented receiver with a bent HDMI port.

I took pictures and e-mailed customer service and on the reply sent them the pictures.

I ended up calling and told a very nice lady my story then I asked for a truck roll with specific instructions on getting an HR24 receiver. Ended up getting an HR24-200 new out of the box with a waived install fee.

So I re-upped for 2 more years but wasn't like I wanted to leave.