1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ergen's two-way hybrid satellite/wireless infrastructure

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by phrelin, Feb 28, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We have discussed this recently in other threads including AT&T to Buy DISH ?? but somehow this from the Morning Bridge sounds serious and complex:
    I don't really know what they're talking about technologically - how would a hybrid work. But it sounds awfully "smart" from a business standpoint.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    And then again, in http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/dishs-ergen-no-grand-strategy-spectrum-play/2011-02-24:

3. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I agree with Phrelin in not understanding exactly what a Hybrid system is or could be used for in this sense. I saw that in the Morning Bridge also. I'm curious myself to see where this is going. Seems like this is the first hybrid of this type, so could be a gamble as the Morning Bridge mentioned.

4. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
    Here's one possible configuration: If wireless is available, the Internet path from the subscriber to the Internet begins with a wireless transmission. If the data is small, it remains wireless. When the data is a large file or there is no wireless available, satellite transmission begins. The opposite is true for a download. It begins via wireless. If the data is a large file or streaming, the satellite transmission is enabled.

Such a scheme would eliminate the frustrating latency of an all-satellite Internet connection and reduce the bandwidth used on terrestrial networks.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Years ago there was a hybrid satellite service that used dial-up as the uplink. Content would be requested via the phone line and delivered via satellite. Kind of nice since only a receive dish was needed (not a transmit dish requiring professional installation to avoid interfering with other satellites). That system constantly streamed USENET feeds which people could spool on their local computers.

A hybrid satellite/wireless system could work in the same way - using the local wireless to request information and the satellite to deliver it. Or it could be used for mobile television where streamed content would come from satellite when available and local wireless when available - whichever was the best path.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    yes, that was DirectPC from Hughes I believe. It worked better than dialup, but not by a heck of a lot because of some restrictions they had. But for us in the boonies, it was the best we could get.

7. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    You do know this was the same attitude when they saw Charlie with a satellite dish?.:confused:

And the rest is history,I believe history will repeat itself.;)