1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eric Shanks Departs DIRECTV to Become President of FOX Sports

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RAD, May 26, 2010.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    From http://dtv.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=473657

"DIRECTV announced today that Eric Shanks, executive vice president of Entertainment, will depart the Company in June to take a new position as president of FOX Sports. In his new role, Shanks will report to David Hill, chairman and CEO FOX Sports Media Group. "

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Full Text of Press Release:

3. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    A had a pet fish named Eric.

4. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Is it possible that he was a certain inside source? if so, it will suck not to have him, but good luck Eric on your next thing. Maybe you can show those Fox sports guys something and I won't hate when they do College Football anymore.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have met Mr. Shanks in person, and he's a quality guy. I wish him all the best.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I will concur with Stuart, as I have worked with Eric.

He is a really great guy... while I am disappointed that he is leaving DIRECTV, he is most certainly going to do some interesting and great things with FOX Sports.

7. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    We'll see... if Festivus Announcements dry up, we'll know!

8. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006

Was he an halibut?

9. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    Whose doing it? Where is my badge.

Hint:Talking bout the swans that they living the park,talking bout my kid now he is married to Mable.

10. dclarke

dclarke AllStar

Sep 20, 2007
    Shanks for the memories............where can i send my resume?

11. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

Who's going to be his replacement? What direction will we he or she take DTV as far as future enhancements?

12. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Per the announcement, succession plans will be announced in the upcoming but no time line announced.

13. Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008

Are you sure someone will be hired to take his place? I think I saw or heard somewhere that DirecTV had the "capability" to backfill that position. :lol:

14. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    All I know is what is in the press release... I haven't move up to the "C" level yet, to be part of the discussion or decision making process.

15. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    A new VP of Entertainment is orbiting at 76°.

16. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    It would be an honor to be considered in the same breath as Shanks. Really good guy, down to earth, smart (very smart), but also likable as any average joe. He will be missed. He's responsible for a lot of the really cool ideas at DIRECTV but he's going into one of his dream jobs, so can't blame him.

Red Zone channel is his idea. Which the NFL has basically copied (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery)

Strike Zone channel...his idea.

NASCAR HotPass was really him and David Hill (chairman of Fox sports and former President of DIRECTV)

SatGo

3D

DVR Scheduler

Some really cool things coming up in the next 6 months.

Plus a bunch of other things....scoreguide, mix channels for sporting events.

And he did all that under the age of 40. Recently was named one of the 40 under 40 most powerful people in sports....I believe he was a three time recipient of that honor.

I'm sure we'll make a great hire to fill his shoes, but he's a great one.

17. Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008

Why do I have this sudden desire to report on my current signal levels.

Pavlov would be proud. :)

18. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Uh oh...the guy with all the best ideas left? PANIC!!! :D Only kidding...I hope.

19. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    He worked @ FOX Sports before he came to D*. He was the one that came up with the "GLOWING PUCK" during the time that FOX regularly covered the NHL or at least when they covered the NHL playoffs @ one time. He broke into the business w/Fox as a "SportsCaster" he has come a long, long, long way since then. Maybe he can get FOX to get the NHL contract from VS.

20. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    He is the glow puck guy? Yikes...that's a major strike against him! Oh well, he seems to have made up for it since.