Error code 222 - Hard drive is broken

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Indiana627, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Turned my HR54-200 on this afternoon and hit List and got an on screen message saying "There's an issue with your hard drive, error code 222, your receiver's hard drive is broken." I can't get to any recordings and none of the trick play features work. All I can do is watch live TV. UGH!

It says to call D* to get a new hard drive. Before doing that i was thinking of rebooting the HR54 in the small chance that a reboot would fix it. But then I wondered if I do, will it not even boot up due to the drive not working and then I wouldn't even be able to watch live TV?

Anyone have any experience with this? I've had D* DVRs since the mid-2000s and never had a drive failure.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Odd. The code is usually a 14 or 15. I think. But, if it's shot there's nothing you can do with it. The recordings on it are lost. You have some choices. You could put an external drive on it. D* isn't gonna give you a new hard drive, they're gonna give you a replacement for the 54. You could take the refurb. That makes the most sense, it costs nothing to do that. How old is your 54? There's a green sticker on the bottom of the 54, that will tell you how old it is. If you take the refurb you'll get a used 54 with an older HDD in it, you'd be doing yourself a favor by putting a new drive on it externally. We can help you with that.

Rich

3. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    PHEW!!! I called D* and they immediately rebooted it (which I was afraid to do) and my playlist came back! I couldn't believe it - I thought for sure my drive was toast and everything was lost. She said it looked like my Genie was having trouble getting daily updates from the satellite so she also refreshed all my services. She said she could see the communication error was fixed. Not sure how much of that I believe.

Yes I have an external HDD on my HR24. I've had that for a LONG time now - 10 years maybe??? It's still kicking. Hopefully I'm good with the HR54 and I don't get anymore HDD error codes. Thanks for the reply.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I could not find a 222.
    I did find a 22 but it gives a different message but sounds like it might have been the case here.

22 |Internal Storage Error Detected. | The HDDVR was rebooted while uploading new hard drive firmware. Replace receiver.

5. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    It was definitely 222. I took photos before calling D* in case it completely died I wanted to know exactly what it said. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    jimmie57 likes this.
  6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Genies are designed to always boot up even if the hard drive doesn’t work anymore. Something they added when they brought in the h44 design.

With that said I’d always risk the reboot to see if it works next time.

jimmie57 and Indiana627 like this.
  7. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks that’s good to know.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh. First time I've seen that. And I've had lots of HDD problems. If the problem comes back get the 54 replaced.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That 222 code puzzles me. Have any idea what it means? Aside from "Your receiver's hard drive is broken"? "Broken"? That's the best they could do?

Rich

10. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    The HR54 is still working this morning. The only change I’ve noticed is the HGTV logo is now blue whereas it used to be yellow (and still is yellow on my HR24). How long has it been blue on the Genies?

Maybe whatever refresh she did yesterday did fix some sort of communication error to my HR54?

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm not a fan of the diagnostic tests we can run on the HRs, mainly because I know they won't show a degraded HDD as "broken". Degraded to the point where the content is unwatchable. I've run the tests on HRs that were unwatchable because of degraded HDDs and I've seen no red flags. But, in this case, I'd like to see what a diagnostic test comes up with. I'd also like to know more about the 222 code. What bothers me is, we get a 14-15 code we can be pretty sure the HDD is shot. I've always had to replace HDDs when those codes show.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    One more comment: You should have rebooted immediately, that should always be a first step. For any problem. Nothing to lose if you're getting a bad HDD error.

Rich

13. mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Rich like you I have always gotten a purple screen & a error code 14-*** whenever there was a HDD problem. Always had to get a "new" receiver sent out.

Rich likes this.
  14. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I have had the same issue twice in last year each time a reboot fixed it

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You saw the 222 error message?

Rich

16. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Yes I believe that was the same issue I never wrote it down just tried a reboot and everything came back fine

Rich likes this.