Error Message after 0x9bc update

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dlt4, Jan 24, 2018.

1. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    My HR24 received the 0x9bc update yesterday and now I get the following error message each time I turn it on.

"Your TV doesn't support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program".

If the DVR was left on a non-local channel when shut off, I can change to a local and everything works okay until I turn the TV off again. Changing the channel to something other than a local channel will not solve the problem. However, if I leave it on a local channel and shut it off, it will start working only after switching to something other than a local.

I'm confused! Any ideas? Thanks.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    First thing to try is a Reset.
    Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Reset, Restart My Receiver

3. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    After 15 years with D* I can't believe I didn't try that first thing, but, I did the Reset and it didn't solve the problem.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    OK
    Have you tried the search for CLEARMYBOX and let it run ?
    It is similar to the Reset but clears out the Guide and all the graphics and some things we don't know about.
    It does not change your settings or delete recordings.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try using the TV remote and turning on the TV first. It is taking too long for the TV to respond to the HDMI request to see if the TV is HDCP ( copyright protected capable ).

Or you could slide the pointer to the TV on the DTV remote and turn it on there.

6. Ry1989

Ry1989 New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    This is a known CADIE issue that is affecting all H and HR receivers.

7. fjames

fjames Mentor

Nov 24, 2010
    TV on first solves it for me. Forgot about using the switch on the remote to do that. I'm just leaving the receiver on. I guess they didn't want HR2x people feeling left out of the screwup parade, I can't remember the last time the 24 updated.

The good thing is, I now feel officially part of the Directv family ... my first "update screwed up everything" experience.

8. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    Just curious, what is CADIE?

9. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    After 15 years, it's the first time an update has been a problem for me also.

10. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    FWIW, I received the same update last night, but am not having the same issue. Not sure why.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They have shortened the time for the receiver to get an answer from the TV set. If you are on a TV that starts up slow then you are likely to have a problem. My 4k TV starts up in 2 seconds and even then the message is ever so briefly on the screen like a flash and then it is gone.

12. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I get a brief flash of the message as well, but I was getting that before the software update. As you say, it goes away almost immediately, and I don’t perceive it as an issue.

13. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    I tried leaving the HR24 on and just turning the TV on and off but that doesn't solve the problem. I have to have both devices off, then turn the TV on first. Guess I'm just spoiled, but that is ridiculous. Hopefully D* will get this fixed quickly.

14. wxguy

wxguy AllStar

Feb 17, 2008
    central...
    I developed the same problem with the previous update in Dec. They screwed somethingup and reissued an update this month. Still didn't fix the problem with short handshake time. The skinny tv screens boot faster and handshake the HDMI cable,but older/cheaper sets take a few extra seconds to respond and by the the DTV box times out the HDMI port. The sets I have the problem with are smaller sized and the component cables work fine..that way I don't have to mess with turning things on/off sequentially. I don't know if I have a problem with my 65 inch Samsung since I go through the audio system and the HDMI ports there are always on because I don't turn off the amplifier.

If they keep "fixing" the software and introducing problems, it is getting to the point I might dump DTV and just stream stuff.

15. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    It would be interesting to know why the change was made. Was it supposed to be an improvement, and did they even bother testing on older TVs? The Sony hooked to the HR24 is only 7 years old, not exactly an antique.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Is the TV an LED or LCD ? LCDs take a lot longer to start up from experience with my 46" Samsung I used to have and the 52" Mitsubishi LCD that my son has.

17. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    It is an LCD, and yes, it takes about 15 seconds to start up.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    An acronym that seems to mean: Capabilities, Analysis, Development and Integration Environment, I think. I had to look it up, not out of curiosity but ignorance. We keep asking posters to explain uncommon acronyms. I think what I italicized is what the poster meant, only one out of six definitions that seemed to fit the context.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've had D* as long as you have and I've had more than one HR go south after an update, you are lucky.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Everybody isn't gonna have problems with an update, they seem to affect a small number of HRs randomly. There was a time this was blamed on "marginal HDDs"...could be that, hard to tell. In any event you can't expect every HR to have similar problems, that's being rational...something D* doesn't do well.

Rich

crodrules likes this.