Error Msg 771 & Transponder strength fluctuating

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by racemanva, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Oct 5, 2016 #1 of 12
    racemanva

racemanva AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    Greetings, have a service call today with MASTEC and am trying to give the tech as much info as possible. Been getting error MSG 771 and picture loss the last few days (randomly and sporadic). I decided to check the signal strength and on the first screen 32 transponders (Satellite 101) I'm watching the transponders fluctuate beween norm 98-100 strength all the way to "0" and back to 100, it's all just random. I watched the screen for about 5 minutes and probably 90% of the 32 transponders fluctuated from "0" to "100" in strength. Any ideas what is causing this craziness?? Thanks a bunch in advance. Bill

2. Oct 5, 2016 #2 of 12
    uclavic

uclavic Cool Member

Sep 7, 2007
    I'm getting the same issue on a few select channels and it happens when the sun goes down. For some reason I think my LNB has gone bad and it's temperature related. Everything works in the middle of the day, but after sundown I get the 771 error and a handful of channels. After about 9:30 am everything works again. I live in LA so I haven't had any weather related events

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Oct 5, 2016 #3 of 12
    poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    I had that happen once and it was a bad LNB. However, are you sure it is just on the 101? If it's happening on all sats, then you may just have a bad or loose connector somewhere.

4. Oct 5, 2016 #4 of 12
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I second the connector issue - When it warms up the connection Expands enough to make contact - when it cools down (outside) it shrinks just enough to fail - SO check you outside connections and I bet you find a bad connector.

If those check okay -Then it's possible the connector attached to the Lnb looked at.

5. Oct 5, 2016 #5 of 12
    racemanva

racemanva AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    Thanks West DC and poppo, appreciate your thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  6. Oct 5, 2016 #6 of 12
    racemanva

racemanva AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    O.K. the DIRECTV Tech was just out here looked at T.V. and signal and said "It's your LNB", unfortunately I can't fix it. I said "Why" he said new DIRECTV policy that techs no longer can go on your roof (news to me). This of course sounded a bi strange since I only rarely see a dish not mounted on a roof. He said "new policy" since three guys lost their life falling off roof in the last two years. He said MASTEC has a escalation team that must come out and move dish to a place on roof only as far on to the roof as to where both feet of tech must still me on ladder (another appt and a few more days with sporadic service). I haven't been on forum regularly in the last few years, how old is this policy?? Thanks

7. Oct 5, 2016 #7 of 12
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's a OSHA mandate going back to 2014.

8. Oct 5, 2016 #8 of 12
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Did you ask if they could just put up a new dish and leave that one in place ?

9. Oct 5, 2016 #9 of 12
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    They will need to relocate the dish - As explained the reason for another service visit - If they find they can not relocate it to a service able place -then your only other option is to Cancel service or replace the lnb yourself -getting one from any online retailer or ebay or perhaps you can find a independent sat contractor that has the gear to get to your dish all of which is on your dime.

If you list your equipment (receivers) the folks here can point you to the correct LNB you need

PS- There also maybe Barrel Connectors on your roof at the dish location that may well be the cause or issue only going to the dish location will you know if that is the case - so get a ladder and get up on the roof and inspect it for any other connections that may be exposed before buying something you may not need.

The reason the installer Left without relocating the dish is you are a service call (Flat fee) and he is loaded with NEW installs that he can make more on rather than fix your issue so it was a easy out for him to move on-That is the current business model your stuck with.

10. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    Don't forget to check the connection on your DVR and wall jack (if you have one) too. Funny how connectors can loosen over time. Sometimes every time the cable is moved it loosens a little more if it was not tightened down enough to begin with.

I should also not that in my comment earlier about a having a bad LNB, my signals did not drop to zero. They would just drop to like 35 or so and only on specific sats.

As someone else mentioned, if you list what you have, it may be easier to help locate the problem. I would hate to have them move the dish and not fix the problem.

11. Visman

Visman Legend

Feb 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    If you can get on your roof yourself, you might won't to ask the tech if he can give you one. Then you can replace the LNB yourself. I had the same problem but after talking with the techs supervisor,on the phone, he gave my an LNB.

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    When I had a bad LNB the numbers would jump wildly all over the place on the 103ca transponders. They would go 95, 47, 95, 66, 0, 38, 95. Only happened during the day / early evening, and moreso on warm days. It doesn't only jump to 0 if it is going bad