error msg and it's not the first time this has happened

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by krel, Jul 13, 2020.

1. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    ok so i got home tonight turned on the t.v. and tuned to channel 104. and i get an error msg saying. the program you selected could not be authorized for this location please try again later or call customer care at 1-800-531-5000..
    anyone else get this msg???

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Channel 104 (DTV4K) is a 4K channel. If you don't have 4K service that is the reason for getting that message. If you do have 4K service and you keep getting this message you need to call DIRECTV and have them reauthorize 4K service on your account.

compnurd likes this.
  3. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Yeah that won't work if it is the same problem I have had in the past and am experiencing again. Mine is an error 721 but the wording in the message is different. Mine says I need to call and order it. 4K Channels 105, 106, 107, and 108 work for me. Only 104 doesn't work and I get the 721 page. Channel 104 is a separate authorization than 4K authorization. Support people do not know this. All they will do is try to re-activate 4K service which will NOT fix the channel 104 problem. The only way I have ever been able to get this fixed is to go through the Office of the President. To get to them I had to file a BBB complaint against them. I got a call from the office of the president and they got the issue fixed. The second time it happened I just emailed the address that I had from the first time they contacted me. A different person from the first time called me and after about 5 days of back and forth she was able to get channel 104 working again. Since COVID-19 I have not been able to reach anyone at the Office of the President though so I'm stuck right now not getting channel 104.

4. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Somethings not right with your DIRECTV system. I've had 4K service since June 2016. During that time I lost 4K service on my account twice and that was because of software updates to the C61K-700. On both occasions reauthorizing 4K service brought back all five 4K channels (104, 105, 106, 107 and 108). Have you performed a System Test? Have you tried resetting your C61K-700?

5. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    The first time I had the problem regular support reactivated 4K multiple times. They refreshed all receivers...or I should say they tried to but they couldn't get to to refresh. Then they replaced the C61K. Still didn't work. Then they sent a tech out and re-authorized 4K again and it didn't work. That is why I filed the BBB complaint because they could not fix the issue. Then I got a call from the Office of the President. That first guy at the office the president is the one that said there are separate authorizations for 4K Channel 104 and the other 4K channels. He got channel 104 working within 3 minutes. The next time the woman at the office of the president didn't know this either until I explained it to her so she investigated and confirmed that there are separate authorizations for 4K channel 104 and the other 4K channels. Once she re-authorized 4K channel 104 last February it worked fine until I checked about 2 weeks ago and noticed it was no longer working. And again...channels 105, 106, 107, & 108 work fine. And yes there is definitely something wrong with my account. It hasn't been right since it was migrated from DIRECTV to AT&T. If there is ANY kind of change to my account I lose channel 104 every time. But I don't know why I have now lost it for the 3rd time since I haven't changed anything recently other than to do a chat and asked about RSN charges during the pandemic and MLB EI that they charged me full price for back in March and haven't refunded that. I didn't request any changes but they may have done something at that time and could be why I lost it this time.

The OP of this thread could be having the same issue though the wording he posted "the program you selected could not be authorized for this location" is not what it says on my screen. Mine is the standard 721 page.

6. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Try calling this number to resolve your issue (1-855-422-1614). It's the number for the Protection Plan. Their CSRs are usually more experienced and knowledgeable.

7. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i did go through the menu on the mini and do a reboot i did call the 800 number and they resent a signal to re authorize the boxes.. i ran a system test and it said everything's ok. well after all that the system seems to be working fine now. and the rep told me that i do have 4K on my acct..

8. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i called 1-800-531-5000 last night and got right in!!!

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You can Refresh your authorizations yourself and not have to call.
    What does “refreshing service” mean?

krel likes this.
  10. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks for the number. Called it. They re-authorized 4K which didn't fix it. Tried refreshing receivers and they can't get my system to refresh receivers so that didn't work. Also when I try to refresh receivers from the app or website it won't refresh them from there either. Wouldn't listen when I told them there are different authorizations for 4K channel 104 and normal 4K. Wanted to schedule a tech to come out. All techs that come out can do is re-authorize 4K which does not work so I declined that option. I'll go through the office of the president as soon as I can get through to them again.

11. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i ment re-authorize the boxes and my acct. as i am supposed to have 4k on my acct

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Refreshing your service sends the same signal that the reps do and it rewrites all the necessary data on the smart cards in every box that you have.

krel likes this.
  13. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Filled out the form here yesterday and got a call from the Office the President this morning and they got my 4K channel 104 working in less than 60 seconds.

Rich likes this.
  14. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Glad it worked out for you.