1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ES194858 with Hopper and Joeys

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by aballred, Aug 13, 2014.

1. aballred

aballred New Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Cedar...
    Hello all, new to the forum. I am currently a DirecTV subscriber considering switching to Dish. With DirecTV my AM-21 works through my Genie receiver and I can view different OTA's on all Client receivers at the same time.

My question is will the ES194858 do the same with the Hopper and Joeys that I will have? I would assume that it will, but just wanted to be certain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Yes it will. Its $30.00 from Dish.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    IIRC DISH's OTA tuner is one channel ... so you would be able to view one OTA channel systemwide.

4. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    Yes, it is only one tuner. Of course if you get a Hopper then the 4 major networks (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX) can all be recorded/watched while only using one tuner on the Hopper during prime time so that may help some.

5. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    One step better, unlike the AM-21, the ES194858 will bring in every channel that your antenna can receive. The AM-21, only provides channels which are contained in a database DirecTV no longer maintains. So, you are likely see more main and sub channels than you receive now

When I tried the AM-21, from my location, it only indicated 20 or so main and sub channels for my area. Meanwhile, the ES194858 was able to pull over 40 or so channels. This was equivalent to the old DISH analog to Digital converter box which was being sold a few years back. Until I went with DISH, I used that because it worked much better than the AM-21; even though it did not do HD. For subchannels, in Denver, they are all 480i anyway, so it was not much of an issue.

The ES194858 also has a very strong tuner. Sometimes it may not pull in channels showing 100%, when you scan. To get around this, I just put my hand over the device when it is about to scan the most powerful channels. Anything 60 or above will provide a consistent picture. At present, it does not have the capability of adding individual channels, so you have to do a full scan each time a new channel si added. Despite this, I am very happy with the ES194858. It has worked flawlessly.

On the down side. It works so well, I forget there is only one tuner; record one show and watch another. I wish Dish would come up with a dual tuner version. As far as I can tell, despite two USB ports on the Hopper, one can only have one ES194858 per Hopper. Also, despite USB ports being on Joeys, the ES194858 will not function.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, at the moment the only way in a Hopper configuration to have another OTA channel would be having a second Hopper and having an OTA module for that one as well.

7. 63thk

63thk AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    Easten, NC
    By adding the ES194858 will it allow me to use the other 3 Hopper tuners while watching the OTA channel. I'm having DISH installed tomorrow and am getting 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys so this would give me 6 tuners plus 2 ES194858 so this gives me 8 tuners total.Also could I later add a Super Joey and increase it by 2?

8. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Currently a Super Joey can only be used on a single Hopper system. Do your TV sets have ATSC tuners built in?

9. 63thk

63thk AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    Easten, NC
    Yes they do, but I prefer to have it all there in one guide.