eSata - From single drive to RAID-1

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Callindril, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Callindril

Callindril New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I have a 4tb drive hooked up to the eSata port on my Genie...Works great and I have a lot of old stuff on it I want to keep, and have been getting nervous about the drive..

So I ordered another 4tb drive, and a new 2-drive eSata enclosure that supports RAID-1...

So now I have to discover how to have the existing drive with the DTV data on it be the base drive, and the new one be the "backup" drive for the RAID-1 setup....

Is this something that the RAID enclosure will do? Put the old drive in slot 1, and the new drive in slot 2 and it will "copy" the data from 1 to 2, and when hooked back up to the DTV box keep in-sync?

Or will I need to do a sector copy from 1 to 2 and then put them in the RAID enclosure...

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Send a PM to RunnerFL, he might be able to help you or wait until he reads your post.

Rich

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    That's really a raid question and depends on your enclosure. Probably should be able to put them both in and build from it but need to make sure it doesn't reformat or something.

Which enclosure are you trying?

4. Callindril

Callindril New Member

Dec 14, 2011

Vantec Dual 3.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 and eSATA with JBOD/RAID 0/1 External Hard Drive Enclosure (NST-400MX-S3R)

Amazon.com: Vantec Dual 3.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 and eSATA with JBOD/RAID 0/1 External Hard Drive Enclosure (NST-400MX-S3R): Computers & Accessories

5. Callindril

Callindril New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Think I just found the answer to my own question....

From the docs I just found online:

"Switching to this mode (RAID-1) will prompt to initialize and format the hard disks. This will not work to create a mirror set from existing hard drives."

Well, that sucks...Guess that enclosure wont suffice for my needs...

Anyone know of a setup or a way to do what I want to do?

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    In theory if you have another 4tb drive you could create a blank raid drive and then copy from your current to that... or just copy your current drive to the new drive and keep one as a backup from this day backward...

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Unfortunately what you're trying to do can't be done. You can't just add a second drive and create an array. Both drives would be wiped to create the array, regardless of the enclosure.