1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESATA Hard Drive Question...Moving from Hr-20 to Hr-20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sparky1358, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparky1358

sparky1358 New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    I am planning on buying an external esata drive to expand my main hr-20.

I currently have three hr-20's. Lets call them
    #1 Main room
    #2 Office
    #3 Bedroom

Can I set up esata drive in say home office#2 and then move it to #1main room after a few weeks of populating itself?

Or will drive reformat itself when it goes to a different host hr-20?

My reasoning is I still have programming on main tv I want to watch before fall season/football starts. I figure having esata running elsewhere would allow me time to populate the drives the way I want them.

Hope I am not being confusing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gregg

2. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Currently, eSATA drive content can only be viewed on the HR20 where the content is recorded.

You can switch back-and-forth between the internal drive (in the HR20) and the attached eSATA drive, but you can not move the drive and view the content on a different HR20.

3. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Well said, Sixto.

One other thing, yes it will re-format the eSata drive if plugged into a different HR20.

4. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    So can you switch between the internal and external drives via a software option, or do you physically need to unplug the e-sata drive?

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    You need to physically disconnect, and reboot the HR20

6. sparky1358

sparky1358 New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Thanks for the input. Thought I had a workaround befroe the fall season to make it easier.

Much appreciated.

7. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Spanky, it didn't reformat for me.
    When I had an HR20 replaced (static electric charge blew out the front panel), I plugged my "old" ESATA drive into the "new" DVR. All the previously recorded shows were there. Of, course, they wouldn't play on the new HR20, but they were still on the external drive.

It would be more than nice if DTV would authorize multiple DVRs on the same account to use the same external drive. That would allow us to move the drives, and to use them on a replacement unit, as well.

8. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    That's cool!
    Wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong. But we are more than half way through the year... :lol:

9. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Not so fast!
    I'm wrong a lot more than you are.:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.