1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN Alternates Channels COllege Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Msguy, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I have Direc Tv and I have noticed that ESPN2 the last 2 consecutive nights has had the exact same game as ESPN 2 on the ESPN Alternate Channels. Last night's Louisville @ Memphis Tigers game from the Pyramid in Memphis Tennessee was on ESPN 2 Channel 209 as well as ESPN Alternate Channel 210. Now Tonight ESPN 2 is covering the Pepperdine @ Gonzaga game and it is being shown on ESPN 2 Channel 209 it lists on Channel 210 But there is no game (Just the Blue screen with the Direc Tv Logo) and on Channel 211 listed as ESPN 2 Alternate and the game is being played also on this channel. Can anyone answer why Direc Tv or ESPN is having this game listed and being played on 3 channels??? Doesn't that take up bandwidth?

2. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    It may take up bandwidth. On Sunday, they have coverage of 8 women's games scheduled(4+4). Each of those games is supposed to be complete coverage on an alternate and only available in the states where the teams are from. ESPN2 will likely only do bounce around coverage on the main channel.

3. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I can see running an ESPN Alternate channel of another game if there is another game going on. But i cannot understand why Direc Tv has 2 and like last night 3 channels of the exact same game. It makes no sense and is a waste of bandwidth.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    No additional bandwidth required. It's a single feed mapped to all three channels