ESPN Blackout Cardinals vs Reds

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Rob37, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    So I thought that this year ESPN broadcasts were supposed to Co-Exist with your teams RSN? Why am I blacked out from ESPN’s beoadcast of the Cardinals & Reds Opening Day Game?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

2. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have never heard that. I was not able to watch the Red Sox @ Orioles or Cardinals @ Reds on ESPN today, either. I do prefer MASN'S coverage. I would most prefer NESN's.

3. dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    I have not heard about the co-existance.

Just watched the game on my RSN.

I would much rather watch my RSN than ESPN. The broadcast team knows the team so much better than any ESPN broadcast team.

4. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
  5. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I guess because today’s opening day game wasn’t in prime-time they blacked out local markets?

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Not sure but could you get the game on your local RSN?

7. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Probably. But your first post made it sound like espn was blacked out. :)

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I suppose it comes down to whether one considers an RSN "local TV". Blacking out ESPN because the game is on a local broadcast station vs blacking out ESPN because the game is on a competing cable channel.

9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    My neighbors with Time Warner Cable were able to watch the Red Sox - Orioles game earlier on ESPN2. The Orioles are a local team, but TWC does not carry the RSN, MASN, that the Orioles games are on. In previous years, TWC would not have shown the game. Perhaps there is lenience for the edge areas, like Orioles in NC, on cable. The article did say prime-time, so neither of those games either fit that criteria.

I hope that this is real as it will allow Phillies (and Dodgers... and Astros....) games to be shown to their fans. The more games that are on, the less important CSN is.

10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    For what it's worth, I am able to watch the Mariners @ Angels game on ESPN2, FS West, and Root NW. It is primetime now.

11. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I was able to see the game on FOX Sports Ohio-Cincinnati Channel 661-1. But Not on ESPN. They blacked out ESPN’s feed just as soon as the Cubs-Pirates game ended. As the above article I posted states ESPN games are supposed to start co-existing with your local RSN’s baseball coverage. But I am assuming only in Prime-Time Slots?

12. Birdieman30

Birdieman30 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    I am in the Little Rock area and our RSN is Fox Sports Southwest (Dallas/Houston teams). The ESPN broadcast of the Cardinals/Reds game was blacked out here. It was not available on any local channel, plus it was blacked out on the MLBEI channels also. Don't understand this. I watched the Cubs/Pirates opener and when ESPN switched to the Cards game, they went black. I was able to watch every game broadcast yesterday on ESPN or EI, except the Cards/Reds. I need a new tv after throwing the remote through the screen.

13. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    It is unbelievable birdieman. Could you not receive the Cardinals vs Reds from the FOX Sports Midwest Feed? I thought that the Cardinals broadcast territory covered Arkansas? Atleast I was able to receive the home call feed of the Reds. But I thought I had definately read from that article ESPN Broadcasts were supposed to Co-Exist with Local RSN Coverage. Apparantly there will still be blackouts of ESPN & that is really unfortunate.

14. Birdieman30

Birdieman30 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    No, I tried everything including the FS Midwest feed. I either got a Blackout message or a You are not subscribed message for everything. I do not subscribe to the Sports package, so only get our designated RSN, Foxsports SW. Usually during a free EI period, all of the RSN's are available. I can only assume that MLB has designated our area as a Cardinals local viewing area, even though there was no local broadcast, and our assigned RSN gives us the Dallas/Houston teams. I would rather have FSMW.

15. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    You probably have to Subscribe to the Sports Pack & MLB Extra Innings to receive Cardinals games from FOX Sports Midwest.

16. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    In Cincinnati the game was on a local station, that's the point where I think they still black it out.

Channel 12 carries the Fox Sports Cincinnati telecast.

17. Birdieman30

Birdieman30 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    To rub salt in the wound, the sports section TV listings in the the Little Rock newspaper said the game would be available on ESPN or Comcast cable, no OTA local broadcast.

18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    IM the opposite. I'm fine with blacking out espn in favor of my local station. In fact I wish they always would do that.

19. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    There is some weird stuff going on here. FSN Midwest had the replay of the Royals and Tigers game blacked out this morning. That makes no sense! First of all it is a replay. Why is it blacked out?

20. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I am 95% sure he lives in an area that has more than one RSN but only the 1 is in his base package. I live in Oklahoma and i have the same thing as him. I have FSSW and if I add the sports pack I get access to the Royals and Cardinals games. Otherwise they are blacked out unless airing on FOX or ESPN when they are not on the RSN. In some ways if you just want the Cardinals and dont want to pay for EI, this is a great option. If you want both, then its $197 for EI and $13.99 a month for the sports pack.