1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN Full Court

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by golfnut-n-nh, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    With Midnight Madness in the rearview mirror and exhibition and early season games in plain sight, is ESPN's Full Court a good value? I have the Premier package, so I'm covered from a RSN/BTN/ESPNU standpoint. Are there any deals to be had?

My one concern is that being in ACC territory, yes New Hampshire is ACC territory, see also Boston College. that a lot of the ACC games may be blacked out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    I get the package so I can watch Big East games in Tampa (which as every one knows now IS Big East Territory - GO BULLS!) and I like the package for that reason.... Big Ten Games will be on the BTN and alternates as well for free this year instead of in the package so you won't get blacked out of SEC games unless it is on locally as well (which means you can see the game anyway and don't care that you are blacked out)....

3 things to consider on the downside ---

1) no games have ever been in HD in the package
    2) the games may be free on ESPN360 like football is this year so if your ISP offers it you can watch the stream on your PC or TV
    3) since I am really not an ACC fan I can't tell you how much ACC basketball is in the package I reccommend you look at last years schedule to make sure it is sufficient for your needs --- like I said there is a ton of Big East Bball every year.

3. alachua

alachua Cool Member

May 23, 2007
    I had it last year, and honestly only watched a handful of games. Most big name matchups are on one of the major networks. Check the schedule, and your local broadcasters schedule before dropping the cash. Saying 'well, i'll watch NC State play Wake Forest' seems like a good idea, until they are both sub .500, and espn is showing a great top 25 matchup the same night. Personally, I'm saving the cash, and planning on getting the march madness package again, which i put off until day three last year.

-Cliff

4. techieguy23

techieguy23 Cool Member

Oct 17, 2007
    With more RSNs and local channels getting capability to do HD, gameplan seems to be losing market share. Its mostly useful to watch teams outside your local market.

5. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    The problem with that is if you don't have GP the games are blacked out on the RSNs.

6. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    You sure? I mean....we will get the channel but when the game comes on...what will happen? Black screen or...

7. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but this is how I believe it will work. If it is your local RSN you will get the game. If it is not your local RSN you will get all of the programming except for MLB, College FB or BB, etc. unless you subscribe to MLBEI, GP, CI, etc. You will get "Game not available in your area".

8. rohenk

rohenk Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    You get the note that the program is not purchased.

Also, no Big 10 games this year on Full Court. Since I purchased the channel only to watch the extra 15-20 Ohio State games, I dropped it this season. It's value depends on who you want to see. They do show a lot of games from the SEC, ACC and Big 12.

9. dan8379

dan8379 Godfather

Feb 13, 2006
    This is true of pro sports but not college. I have the sports pack and can watch any of the college FB games that have been on the various RSN's. Typically these are different from the games that are offered on Full Court or Gameplan.

10. rohenk

rohenk Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    That is generally correct. There are a few odd exceptions like I noticed some Chicago Bears oriented weekly show on Comcast was not available. No idea why other than maybe some type of contractual agreement issue.

11. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Not always true any longer for college sports. Many conferences do indeed black out folks not in the conference "region" from seeing the games on the RSNs. There are exceptions, but that has been the trend.

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I had Sports Pack last season just to see Arizona here in Texas...will be re-adding SP again.

13. dan8379

dan8379 Godfather

Feb 13, 2006
    Hmmmm...I've yet to see that be the case yet, at least during football season. I watched part of the Syracuse game on one of the RNS's last weekend with no problem. (and that wasn't the game that was on my local RSN). If this becomes the case then it basically takes away ANY incentive to have the Sports Pack.

14. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Trust me, I have seen it. It is more common with basketball than football.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.