ESPN GamePlan?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RonH, Jul 24, 2008.

1. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    I got ESPN GamePlan last year for the 1st time. Do I need to contact DirecTv again this year to once again receive it or do they auto renew it?

Thanks

2. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    i will say auto-renew.

3. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Correct.

4. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Check Channel 109. If it says "You are authorized for this program" Then you are good to go for ESPN Gameplan.

5. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007

Thanks,it says I am Authorized.

6. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Thanks for reminding me to cancel mine. "No HD no GP"

7. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    I hate GP has no HD but the only reason I really get it is so I can take one of my Receivers to Tailgate Parties during Football season. It nice to have a bunch of games available to watch while Partying....:)

8. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    For those of you who continue to sub to ESPN Gameplan, I am curious as to why you do so? I am not asking out of any malice or arrogance, I am just wondering. As someone who does not follow a specific team or conference, I used to really like it for ABC's regional coverage games because they would forever stick me with some ACC garbage and I could watch the Pac-10, Big 10, or Big 12 with it and see REALLY good games. But now with the addition of the Saturday night game on ABC a couple of years ago, I noticed I didn't watch it much anymore since most every single nationally important game was televised on broadcast or cable/satellite channels so I cancelled it after the 06 season. I know there's Jefferson Pilot games and all, but those usually don't involve the marquee level teams and matchups that I have ever seen. So again, I am just wondering why those of you do continue to subscribe? For that live midnight game of Hawaii University football? :lol:

9. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    In our family, we closely follow, as alumni, two specific SEC teams, and GamePlan allows us to catch a number of their games (including PPV broadcasts) that wouldn't otherwise be available.

Yes, the PQ is often horrid, and yes, it used to have better value for the price. But it still is worth it to us...barely.

10. blucas95

blucas95 Legend

Sep 26, 2006
    I'm a Penn State alumni and I already see two 3:30 ABC games on the schedule that I know I'm gonna get some ACC game instead being outside DC in Virginia. Not sure how much they charge per game or per day, but I know I'll need it at least a couple of times this season, but the Big 10 Network has taken a few of those games as well.

Maybe it's time to consider dropping it???

11. superman24

superman24 Mentor

Dec 17, 2006
    I cancelled after many years too... Between all the networks, ESPN, Big Ten, Versus, etc. and all of them in HD too. I just could not stomach going to Game Plan and seeing SD. But the clincher was all the other coverage from the other networks that are a part of my standard programming.

12. winks

winks Cool Member

Jul 5, 2007

13. tigercat74

tigercat74 Mentor

Mar 25, 2007
    As a Canes fan living in Buckeye land, this is about the only way to watch games.

14. alhurricane

alhurricane AllStar

Sep 21, 2007
    Being a die hard Auburn Tiger fan living in North Carolina, Gameplan is the only way I can see the LF games they are on plus the PPV games the Auburn network produces. Combined with their games on ESPN/CBS and I am assured to see almost all of their games. If the SEC ever gets their own network, then Gameplan would not be necessary for me

I do wish it was in HD as well, but it's better to see it in SD than not see it at all.

15. JonSamuels

JonSamuels Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    Cedar...
    I know watching a game on a computer isn't quite the same as watching on TV, but the Raycom (formerly LF) SEC games are streamed on Yahoo for free.

16. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    The quality of an internet feed on a monitor should look better than some of the GamePlan SD broadcasts ;)

Most of those (JP -> LF-> Raycom) games I get in FL anyway on local OTA (except the few times when they are doing dual games; then I use GamePlan)...and they'll be in HD this year from what I understand.

The PPV games, though, aren't available elsewhere.

17. JonSamuels

JonSamuels Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    Cedar...
    I've never subscribed to GamePlan, but the Yahoo streams are pretty decent for webcasts. I believe the streams go as high as 700k. I haven't tried hooking the computer up to the TV, but it looks pretty decent in full screen on my monitor.

18. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Well, if the PSU game isn't on ABC @ 3:30 in your region, then it will be on ESPN/2. BigTen fans have very little reason for needing GP (except for those schools that play OOC games at schools that do have an agreement to have their games on GP OR regional prime time games).

19. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Nope, if the PSU/Syracuse game isn't on your ABC affiliate then it will be on ESPN/2. This is the second year where every Big Ten home game is a national coverage game (with the exception of regional prime time games).

20. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    Those who want to watch the Oregon Ducks outside of Oregon are advised to get GamePlan, as all the Ducks' regionally televised games are on there. Those of us in Portland are screwed because DirecTV and CSNNW won't come to an agreement, so there will probly be about 6 Duck games that I won't be able to see. Two of them probly won't be televised because of the awful Pac-10 TV contracts, but the other 4 will only be on CSNNW with no way for me to see it.