ESPN Goal Line

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by zimm7778, Nov 21, 2015.

1. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Checked the watch ESPN app and it is on today. Why isn't it on 615?!

2. twaller

twaller Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Good question. What gives?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It looks like it's a busy day, between the RSN alternates, ESPN College Extra, and Canadian feeds for Center Ice, every single HD Cinema channel that's designated for part time use is off air at some point today.

4. innuss

innuss Cool Member

Aug 9, 2009
    This is mildly irritating. I like to watch Goal Line when I don't have a rooting interest in any games that are on.

1 person likes this.
  5. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Mildly? Anytime I am paying for something I want to watch and not getting it I'm more than mildly irritated. If this is a case of "we're sorry, we ran out of HD room" I'll just cancel the sports pack. Don't have and offer a channel if you can't Iive up to your end of the bargain.

1 person likes this.
  6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    So just because they're filled to capacity for one Saturday, they shouldn't have offered the channel at all this season? (Meaning you wouldn't be able to watch the channel via WatchESPN either)

Heck this weekend ESPN is even using ESPN Classic to carry a live game. (Thankfully for fans of those teams, DirecTV didn't drop it as soon as possible like Dish did)

Goal Line takes up 12pm-12am+, with the same part time HD cinema feed they can offer an early, late afternoon and night game on the RSN alternates. On a busy weekend like this, it's the difference between not offering the channel that hops around all the games for one weekend vs not offering those games in their entirety on the RSN alternates locally for a region.

7. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    It obviously is a capacity issue, it's working fine on cable locally as well as the app

8. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They turned it on at 4:30pm once capacity became available after the early games finished

9. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Two brand new satellites and they don't have the capacity. Bull **** excuse if you ask me. Turn the damn thing on and start broadcasting from it already!!

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Also they need to make more RSN feeds full time with the new space as well. Like CSN CHI +, some FSN sub feeds.

att uverse keeps stuff like SEC alts live 24/7 as they don't have bandwidth limits.

11. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The second satellite D15 is NOT additional bandwidth, it's replacing existing bandwidth, so it's not as simple as "turning it on and broadcasting from it" like it was for D14 or previous launches. (Although there is a chance it will deliver a few more Conus transponders after they finish the moves for Puerto Rico and free up Spaceway 1)

And as has been stated multiple times, they're NOT finished, they fired up more D14 transponders in the past few weeks, but they still need to move channels off of D10, and move existing channels to D14 and D15 to take advantage of the mirroring for Puerto Rico before they can add new US channels on D12 and D11.

You know those new HD Cinema placeholders on D12 that people were complaining about in the anticipation threads a few months ago, even though some of them eventually became new HD channels like Nick Jr, Fox Deportes, Fuse, Al Jazeera America, and ASPiRE? It also allowed them to repurpose more of the existing HD Cinema channels into additional part time feeds. It's why we were able to have ESPN College Extra's 8 channels in HD. There were also some nights on Center Ice where the Canadian feeds were HD only, as opposed to previous years where on busy nights they would be SD only or not carried at all.

12. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    What's up with this channel today? Static screen with live audio but no game video.
    Been this way since it came on the air 50 minutes ago.

13. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Really great video this week, no audio to go along with it however.

14. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Working fine here on ESPNews.

15. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Unless the screen slide is wrong it says that Goal Line is suppose to go until 1130 ET but always ends at 11.

Anyone know why that is?

16. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Similar but different.