1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN-HD by August 31st?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cbusbee, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbusbee

cbusbee Mentor/Supporter

Apr 20, 2002
    Dish Senior CSR (long-time employee) told me that they expect to have ESPN-HD on the air by August 31.

I called to cancel my continuing subscription to Disc-HD because of the costs and the repeats. Not worth $7.99 per month or $96 per year. Told her I would keep it if they had ESPN-HD. Told her I was even looking to switch back to DTV just for ESPN-HD.

She said that Charlie recently told all employees through a satelite feed that they were working hard to get ESPN and she then checked with her supervisor and he said the word was that they would have it by Aug 31.

She also said she would pass my concerns on to upper management. I also emailed CEO@echostar per someone elses post here. Hoping if we all email and call it will make a difference, like Scott said a squeaky wheel gets attention.

2. JMikeF

JMikeF AllStar

May 2, 2003
    If ESPN-HD is starting 8/31, then it will have to be on existing birds, not 105. Contradiction again to what was said at the Tech Talk. So typical....

3. DTV

DTV Guest

It doesn't matter how senior the CSR is. I wouldn't trust any info from a CSR. When I called to cancel my Dish service a few years ago I was transferred to a "senior" CSR. When I told this person that I was cancelling because DirecTV had the NFL-ST and Columbus,OH locals the CSR put me on hold for a minute and came back and said they could offer my locals and the NFL-ST if I stayed. Sorry but I wouldn't believe anything they say.

4. JMikeF

JMikeF AllStar

May 2, 2003
    So, Dish will announce that ESPN-HD is available 8/31 - and oh BTW, you need to replace your existing Dish farm with the new improved SuperDish at $$$ setup/installation, unless you commit to our new Everying package at $$$$, and throw in your firstborn, too.

Charlie is sooooo clever.

5. JMikeF

JMikeF AllStar

May 2, 2003
    Of course, you are absolutely right.
    All I ask for any company that I choose to do business with is to:

1) Follow through on what is stated by the company in advertizing, or by company representatives
    2) Treat me and other customers with respect
    3) Provide consistant value for services rendered
    4) Meet the competition

Does everybody here agree that Dish has been living up to the simple standards stated above??? I thought so...... :(

6. jzoomer

jzoomer Guest

I hope you didn't let the CSR talk you out of cancelling Discovery HD because there might be something else later down the road.

If you cancel the HD right now you will save at least three dollars ~8-5 downgrade). You might have a lot of money saved by the time DISH adds HD programming. Maybe you could afford a 921 by the time it comes out.

7. nostar

nostar AllStar

Jun 22, 2003
    I don't expect Dish to eat the cost, but, please pass on the cost to all of Dish Network subscribers as they will eventually reap the benefits. HD is not going away. It's way too good!

This would also be an incentive for E* customers to go to HD. I expect HD to take off pretty soon and when it does it will be at log rhythmic proportions. Let's share the cost!

8. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    No offence, but I couldn't disagree more. I don't have HD and I won't for a very long time. Those who want it and can afford it can pay, but as someone who doesn't need nor want HDTV at this moment and can't afford it anyhow, I don't want to eat the cost of anything I have no use for.

I'm not putting down HD, it's really awesome and great technology, but I have no interest in it for right now.

9. Peluso

Peluso Legend

Sep 11, 2002
    Assuming HDTV was easily affordable, say $300 for a 32" widescreen set at walmart with built in tuners etc... would you then want it? I'd bet that as soon as we get to that point, we'll see the bell curve effect with a very sharp uptick in adoption. That's when the investment will pan out for everyone.

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I was thinking more of $500 for 32", since thats what my current tv is and costs, but $300 would work too :p But, while HD prices have dropped dramatically in the past few years we're still a long way from that price point.

11. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I did see a REX TV add in my Chattanooga NewsFreePress newspaper yesterday for a 32" Toshiba HD ready tv for $695, getting close ;) . With the 811 coming out soon at $299 and the price of HD monitors coming down, I might be ready to take the HDTV plunge in another year or two. ;) In the mean time however I do not want to subsidize HDTV on E*.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.