1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN HD - some cameras are 'fuzzy'

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by n3ntj, Jul 15, 2007.

1. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed how 'fuzzy' some views on ESPN HDs programming are? For example, while watching Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN HD, the view from the outfield looks fine, but if they show an angle from behind the plate or an angle from the dugout, the picture is very fuzzy. It then goes back to the outfield camera to show home plate and all is clear and crisp.

I would assume this is an equipment/camera issue at the ballpark since it comes and goes with specific cameras and views.

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The difference in PQ is probably due to both HD and SD cameras being used
    by ESPN. I see the same thing when NBC broadcasts major golf tournaments.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I have also noticed it. There is so much of a difference and it gets so bad some times when it happens I almost think about switching and just watching it in SD.

4. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Nick, the fuzzy views are still in HD, just noticeble fuzz on the screen. The PQ is still crisp (beyond the fuzz).

The SD vs. HD issue regarding NBC is a totally different issue and looks blurry when they go to SD wide screen.

5. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    I see that on some of the sports events, not just ESPN.

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    ..and to clear things up, I would classify the fuzzy views as 'speckled', yet still in HD, but blurry as I may have initially implied.

By speckled, I mean lots of little dots on the screen although it is still HD. By blurry, it would mean the entire picture PQ would be affected.

7. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    Not sure about fuzz, but last nights Cubs/Giants game had ongoing issues with the screen going blank.

Did anyone else notice this?

pf

8. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Wasn't that on ESPN? There have been some issues with ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD having this problem.

9. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    It was on ESPN-HD. I guess this has been happening beyond last night? And is this happening across multiple networks like D* and E*.

pf

10. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Packfan909,
    There is another thread somewhere that refers to this blacking out of the two stations. It has to be an issue they're having in Bristol. Hopefully they'll get it straightened out soon.

11. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yeah, the black screen issue relates to ESPN HD, as does the speckled picture on certain cameras, but I am sure they are unrelated.

Can anyone with cable or E* confirm they also get the black screen on ESPN HD?

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Tonight’s Cards/Braves game looks awful. Very fuzzy and grainy. In studio shots are perfect the field shots suck. There’s a replay of the Rays/Yankees game on YES HD right now. Flipping between ESPN HD and YES HD is a world of difference. YES is razor sharp, ESPN is a bread knife in comparison.

13. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Yes, it was really poor quality. And it wasn't DirecTV's fault...looked miserable on other providers as well.

14. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I have Time Warner Cable, so I know it wasn't DirecTVs fault :)

15. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Yeah, I know you didn't accuse D* ... just a preemptive strike against anyone who'd explain this as an "HD-Lite" issue or the like. ;)

16. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    The Yanks had a game on ESPNHD awhile back when the season first started and man did they have 1-2 terrible non-main cameras.

It was terrible when they switched to it.

17. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yes, I seem to notice it on most ESPN HD baseball games. At least 1 or 2 cameras are bad.