1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN Plus for $4.99 Per Month

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by cmasia, Feb 12, 2018.

1. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    The Watch ESPN app will be replaced by ESPN Plus sometime this spring.

It supposedly will continue to stream and archive everything currently available on the app, as well as additional programming.

I'll be stuck having to cough up for it, as I watch all the Southern Hemisphere rugby and curling from Canada's TSN.

Here's more detail on what's coming.

ESPN Plus streaming service launches this spring for $4.99

Will you buy it?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    If you want it Buy it! - for me I don't want it -but for you it's great

3. evotz

evotz Member

Jan 23, 2014
    This is replacing WatchESPN? That's the first I have heard of this.

My understanding was that this ESPN Plus was/is a feeble attempt by ESPN to market to the cord cutting crowd. By offering mostly non-mainstream sports to people that don't have a typical cable/satellite service.

Major sports won't be available in the ESPN Plus offering. If you want to watch baseball, basketball, or football, you'll still need a traditional cable/satellite TV service. And I assumed that content would still be available to those subscribers on WatchESPN.

Perhaps, ESPN Plus will replace the current ESPN3 content, although I haven't really read that either. ESPN3 content (for example, Missouri Valley Conference basketball games) is only available online and not on traditional TV. I'm not sure what the requirements are for getting ESPN3 content, I have DirecTV and I get it, but I don't know if that is a requirement. ESPN3 content used to be tied to your ISP, but that was several years ago I do not know if that is still the case.

4. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Evotz,
    You raise a few interesting questions.

My take is all the ESPN 3 content, which is included in your DIrecTV subscription, will now cost $4.99 per month.

If you still have ESPN through DirecTV or another provider, you'll be able to stream ESPN, ESPN2, etc. as well, included in the $4.99.

Without a subscription, you'll only get the current ESPN3 content for that price.

They have not been 100% clear on this, but that's my takeaway from what's been announced.

5. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    Major League Soccer is shutting down its MLS Live streaming product and shifting those games to ESPN+, the new streaming service Walt Disney Co. plans to launch in the next few months, according to people familiar with the plan.

The teams have been notified, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the change hasn’t been publicly announced. Fans will be able to watch about 250 out-of-market games a year, meaning they won’t be able to see their home teams. The accord doesn’t impact ESPN’s regularly scheduled televised soccer matches, which won’t be on the web

service.ESPN's Web Service Gains Exclusive Pro Soccer Rights