ESPN's Skycast View is the Cat's Pajamas

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by B. Shoe, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Jan 2, 2020 #1 of 14
    B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I wish I would have thought to post this information before "the magic of bowl season" began. But I absolutely love the Skycast view on the ESPN/WatchESPN/Whatever ESPN calls it now app.

It's a non-stop view from the skycam, behind the offense. No broadcast commentary, no video vignettes, etc. You get the full ambient noise from the stadium, along with in-house public address. They've improved it to include replays of crucial plays, deep plays that sometimes the camera doesn't catch up with, etc. And the ESPN Bottom Line is different to display the last play, updated stats, and more.

It's not perfect. Sometimes it's not able to follow every single play. But it's a whole different way to experience the game and one I'm really enjoying.

For those of you looking to take on the National Championship game from a new perspective, I'd recommend it.

Rich likes this.
  2. Jan 2, 2020 #2 of 14
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Is that app ESPN+?

Rich

B. Shoe likes this.
  3. Jan 2, 2020 #3 of 14
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Was this available through the app only, or was it also available on another channel?

B. Shoe likes this.
  4. Jan 2, 2020 #4 of 14
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Had it on a couple of Bowl games I watched via satellite. Was interesting and a definite change of pace without all the blabber. Think it was on ESPN News.

B. Shoe likes this.
  5. Jan 6, 2020 #5 of 14
    B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I don't believe these were offered through another channel. I think they are, as part of the National Championship Game Megacast, however. But don't quote me on that.

This was offered as part of my YTTV provider login through the ESPN app. Sometimes the ESPN+ subscription is required for the Skycast, but not often.

I enjoy it. They show the halftime performances, and you get a truer feel for the crowd/atmosphere.

Rich likes this.
  6. Jan 7, 2020 #6 of 14
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Rose Bowl was on ESPN and ESPN2. Typical coverage on ESPN. ESPN2 showed two pictures at top of screen and a bunch of statistics at the bottom. Very distracting, IMO.

7. Jan 7, 2020 #7 of 14
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I agree with your opinion. Way too much going on, extremely distracting.

Rich

8. Jan 9, 2020 #8 of 14
    Blueflash

Blueflash New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    ESPN Presents the College Football Playoff National Championship through Cutting Edge Technology - ESPN Press Room U.S.

ESPN’s Sixth National Championship MegaCast
    ESPN’s MegaCast production includes eight additional presentations across its television networks, four more offerings available on the ESPN App and two 4K feeds to complete the MegaCast. Field Pass (ESPN2), Command Center (ESPNEWS), DataCenter (Goal Line), Sounds of the Game (ESPN Classic), the Spanish-language telecast (ESPN Deportes) and Hometown Radio (ACC Network and SEC Network) remain staples of the MegaCast, while Coaches Film Room (ESPNU) returns. The debut of Refcast – an option that allows viewers to watch the game through former referees’ perspective — highlights the ESPN App selections, with the All-22 viewing angle, Skycast and Techcast also available digitally.

New this year, two MegaCast feeds – Field Pass and Skycam viewing angle – will be available in 4K courtesy of Samsung QLED.

B. Shoe likes this.
  9. Jan 9, 2020 #9 of 14
    B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Thanks for passing this along, Blueflash. I'd still prefer the "Nose Bleed Fan" cam, where they literally plant a camera in the very back row of the stadium with two highly intoxicated fans trying to call all the action. But we'll all find some way to enjoy the game. :)

10. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sponsored by AT&T. :D

If AT&T was smart they would use the dash (-) channels to add those additional feeds near 206 through 211.

B. Shoe likes this.
  11. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Agreed. You could also set up more than one view at once through Multicast on the ESPN app. Do a quadbox of the main broadcast, Skycast, Field Pass and something like the TechCast. Should one's attention be able to manage everything. :)

12. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes! I love the ESPN app. I wish ALL streaming apps would do Multicast. :)

B. Shoe likes this.
  13. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    YES. That is my No. 1 wish list item for YTTV; 2/3/4 channel multicast capability. I absolutely love it for ESPN, NFL Sunday Ticket and NBA League Pass apps. Hopefully it's on the 2020 to-do list at YouTube.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  14. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    And MLBEI and NHLCI.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020